Hiking Socks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
My wool hiking socks are beat and I need more before the Spring, Summer and Fall seasons begin. What type of wool hiking socks do you all recommend? For the life of me I cannot remember what brand I bought.

Thanks,
ADAM

I prefer to hike in a wick liner and a standard ragg wool outer sock. Campmor has the ragg wool socks at a reasonable price.

Adam,

I've been using merino wool socks that I bought from the Brand Name store on the main drag in Watkins Glen a couple of years ago. At the time they were some ridiculous price like 3 for $10. I need to make another trip up there soon since the entire family has taken to wearing them on a daily basis, very comfortable and quite durable.

Tony

socks

It took me forever to get used to a wicking liner but I finally did (and my blisters have ceased). I like the smartwool stuff with a wicking liner. I think I use the Wigwam brand...they are a bit pricey at REI (well over $10/pair). I noticed while shopping the other night at REI the newer techno hiking socks are pushing towards $20/pair...kind of crazy. You are are still going to be sore at the end of the day.

Smart wool all the way.. i have mid-heavy weight.

mid weight is used during the 3 season

heavy weight is used in the winter

i have used a wicking liner twice and each time they gave me crazy blisters so, never again will i use them....sara though, seems to never have an issue with them...

to each their own

I used to use the liner/regular wool combination, but now use no liner and smartwool. I buy the heaviest ones and wear them exclusively year round. LLB factory store sells them for $8-10, which is about half the price that the retail store sells them.

A pair of poly-pro liners and Thorlos. They have a numbered system depending on use. 1 Light (summer), 2 Medium (fall/spring), and 3 Heavy (winter). Again you should figure on $10-13 a pair.
I have to be careful with wool due to allergies so I need to make sure that some type of synthetic is in the fabric and they're not 100% wool.

Smartwool

Smartwool is the way to go. You will be very happy with the performance and they hold up nice in the wash.

Please let us know what you decide.

Smartwool or other wool-blend socks. I stopped wearing cotton socks completely when I tried my first pair about 4 yrs ago. LL Bean outlet stores have "irregulars" at a discount (not sure what that means other than the word "IRREGULARS" is printed on them with white ink that washes off with a few washings), places like Sierra Outfitters also have discounts on wool socks.

I do wish they were stronger on the back of the heel though, that's where the holes seem to develop. On cotton socks I wouldn't notice since they're so cheap, I just wish I could repair my wool ones.

Another endorsement for Smartwool. They will outlast most (if not all) other wool socks.

Not really that expensive if you consider how many years they will hold up.

tonycc said:
Adam,

I've been using merino wool socks that I bought from the Brand Name store on the main drag in Watkins Glen a couple of years ago. At the time they were some ridiculous price like 3 for $10. I need to make another trip up there soon since the entire family has taken to wearing them on a daily basis, very comfortable and quite durable.

Tony

Tony,

I live just outside Corning over the border in PA. I am like a 30 minute drive from Big Flats....very cool! When you head back up to Watkins let me know and I will tag along :)

Thanks all for the great tips I appreciate it!

ADAM

I am another who wears Merino wool 365 days a year. I've had some good luck with Woolrich Merino found at the local Walmart and have some Smartwool as well. I have been toying with the Wigwam poly liner and don't see a huge difference when combined with wool, so usually just run the woolies without liners.

Smartwool for me to. The expedition socks in my Limmers with a or the Adrenaline with a very light weight Bridgdale liner.
I do have a few pair of Bridgdale socks and I like them very much but they are harder to find. The one I have I purchased up in Stowe last summer but*they had run out of the expedition style.

For hiking, I use Wigwam Coolmax liners and wool/nylon Ragg outers. I like to use liners because they keep moisture away from my skin. For everyday, I use Wigwam Lakota socks, which are a blend of Merino wool and other stuff. I have some Smartwool Trekker socks, but don't like them because they are too tight. Check out socks at www.thesockcompany.com

The Smartwool merino socks tend to be less stretchy in the foot section than the Bridgedale merinos. That can be a good or bad thing depending upon whether you have a low or high volume foot. Personally, I prefer the Bridgedale (and I don't use liner socks, they give me blisters). :D