Hiking the AT in a single day

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a reasonable fee plus expenses, of course, I'd be willing to hike one of the unclaimed southern sections. Have an official representative of the DOC PM me if this opportunity is something they'd be interested in pursuing.
I think they're trying to avoid paying fees. :)

The trail is now 93% covered.

Please help (there's a DOC membership in it for you!):
THE TRAIL SEGMENTS THAT STILL NEED HIKERS:
In order of importance:
PA/NJ: May need extra hikers near the PA/NJ border. Email [email protected] with subject line: PA/NJ hiker

Tennessee, near Erwin:
Iron Mountain Gap/Tenn.107/N.C.226 to Indian Grave Gap/Rt.395 10.8 miles
Indian Grave Gap/Rt.395 to Nolichucky River Valley 7 miles
Devil Fork Gap/N.C.212 to Allen Gap/N.C.208/Tenn.70 14.1 miles
Hurricane Gap/Lookout Mt. Rd. to Bridge on US Rt.25/Rt.70 5.4 miles
N.C.1182/Max Patch Road to Gulf Rd./Deep Gap 5.6 miles

North Carolina, near Winding Stair Gap:
Low Gap to Pecks Corner 13.5 miles
Clingman's Dome to Spence Field 16 miles
Fontana Dam / Rt.1245 to NC-28 1 miles
NC-28 to Yellow Creek Gap 4.4 miles
Yellow Creek Mountain Road south past Hogback Gap and Brown Fork Gap to Stecoah Gap NC-143 7.6 miles
US-19/US-74 Nantahala River south past Tellico Gap NC-1365 south past Burningtown Gap, NC-1397 to Wayah Bald 17.2 miles
Winding Stair Gap US-64 in Franklin, NC south past Rock Gap and Albert Mountain to Mooney Gap USFS-83 11.3 miles

VIRGINIA (given in order of importance, * denotes a route that can be hiked by students, if need be) Southern Virginia:
Rt.91 in Damascus to Low Gap/US 421 14.8 miles
Low Gap/US 421 to Tenn.91 6.5 miles
Tenn.91 to Watauga Dam Rd. 15.8 miles

Northern Virginia:
Swift Run Gap/US 33 to Simmons Gap/Skyline Drive mile 73.2 9.5 miles
Simmons Gap/Skyline Drive mile 73.2 to Browns Gap/Skyline Drive mile 82.9 12.2 miles
Browns Gap/Skyline Drive mile 82.9 to Turk Gap/Skyline Drive mile 94.1 11.7 miles
Turk Gap/Skyline Drive mile 94.1 to US 250/I-64 11.4 miles
US 250/I-64 to Dripping Rock Parking Area/Blue Ridge Parkway mile 9.6 14.3 miles

Central Virginia:
*Dripping Rock Parking Area/Blue Ridge Parkway mile 9.6 to Tye River/Va.56 15.3 miles
*Salt Log Gap/USFS 62 to US 60 8.5 miles
*US 60 to Blue Ridge Parkway mile 51.7 10.9 miles
*Blue Ridge Parkway mile 51.7 to US 510/Va.130 10.9 miles
*US 501/Va.130 to Petites Gap/Blue Ridge Parkway mile 71.0 9.9 miles
*Petites Gap/Blue Ridge Parkway mile 71.0 to Blue Ridge Parkway mile 78.4 7.3 miles
*Blue Ridge Parkway mile 78.4 to Va.614 11.4 miles
*Va.614 to Va.43/Bearwallow Gap 6.4 miles
*Va.43/Bearwallow Gap to Black Horse Gap/Blue Ridge Parkway mile 97.7 8.1 miles
*Black Horse Gap/Blue Ridge Parkway mile 97.7 to US 220 13.6 miles
*US 220 to McAfee Knob 16.1 miles

Southern Virginia, continued:
Va.624 to Craig Creek Rd 15.5 miles
*Va.42 to Va.601/Rocky Gap 4.4 miles
*Va.601/Rocky Gap to Va.635 15.2 miles
*Va.635 to US 460/Sentator Shumate Bridge 19.1 miles
*US 460 / Senator Shumate Bridge to Big Horse Gap 12 miles
*Big Horse Gap/USFS 103 to Va.606 12.3 miles
*Va.606 to Va.611 9.6 miles
*Va.611 to US 21/US 52 9 miles
*US 21/US 52 to Va.615 6.9 miles
*Va.615 to Walker Gap 13.5 miles
*Walker Gap to Va.42 12.5 miles
*Va.42 to US 11/Va.683/I-81 11.8 miles
*US 11/Va.683/I-81 to Va.16/Sugar Grove 11.5 miles
*Va.16/Sugar Grove to Va.672 9.2 miles
*Va.672 to Dickey Gap/Va.16/Va.650 5.4 miles
*Dickey Gap/Va.16/Va.650 to Va.603 8.5 miles
*Va.603 to Wilburn Ridge 10.3 miles

HIKER INFORMATION
Please visit http://doc.dartmouth.edu/atinaday/ to find more information of the hike including confirmation, logo and documentation, timing & hiker clarification, what to bring, hiker safety, how to give back to the AT and where to forward questions.

More Information

Last edited:
Just back from finishing my section: Abol Bridge to Baxter Peak.

I'm beat after ~20 miles through just about the most schizophrenic weather I've ever experienced. 5:20 am (Abol Bridge) to 5:30 pm (finish at Abol CG). Saw my first snow of the season.

Report and photos to come. How did the other VFTT members make out? Last night I received an email that we were down to only ~53 miles that weren't yet accounted for. Not sure if they got hiked today or not.

off to bed...

Still haven't heard the final results. I know the section from Kinsman to Crawford was completed, I'm still trying to contact the people in my section and find out the last few pieces.

Pics

This is my quick write-up of my part in the Dartmouth Outing Club's "AT-in-a-Day" challenge. The goal was to stretch hikers out along the entire 2,176-mile trail and hike the entire route in one day. Some 800 hikers were part of the effort. This challenge is part of the year-long centennial celebration of the DOC, founded by Fred Harris in 1909. It remains the country's oldest outing club.

On Friday night, we camped in a lean-to at Abol Pines on the Golden Road. Jeff and I got going at 5:15 while Joanna and Leslie slept. Jeff and I crossed Abol Bridge and walked back to be sure we had our section covered then entered Baxter State Park on the AT. It was dark and raining steadily so we just cruised through the woods, under lamp but without much fanfare. Unfortunately, we couldn't see much during the beautiful stretch along the river. The two stream crossing were challenging and I was very glad Jeff had poles and was willing to share.

It stopped raining just before we got to Daicy Pond and every once in a while we csaw some blue skies shining through. We arrived at Katahdin Stream at 8:50. Joanna and Leslie had driven around to meet us for the rest of the hike. We switched to some dry socks and stocked up on food. ~10 miles down, ~9 to go.

The four of us started up the Hunt Trail (AT). Between the daylight, drier skies and two more companions, the day was looking up. This was to be Leslie's first trip up Katahdin and Joanna's first for the year. We made pretty good time to the Gateway but then slowed down immensely as the crazy winds picked up. Once above treeline, we took the full force and passed several parties that had turned around. Things were mostly cloudy again, sometimes with very poor visibility. However, we were treated to a most amazing double-ended rainbow arching over Witherle Ravine (see pics). That was a real treat. Soon we were back in the thick of it and I paused a few times to crouch down. Seriously, I was almost blown over a few times...

I expected the winds to subside a bit once we crested the Tableland but instead we were pelted with sleet. Good thing we were walking away from it, as when we did turn our faces to the southwest it was quite difficult to see. Goggles would have helped. Anyway, I urged the other three to head down Abol Slide. They were happy to oblige. Fueled and watered, I made a dash for the summit, about one mile away. The sleet changed to snow and ice was forming on the rocks. I talked to several good folks on the summit, some of whom had no business being out on this day. I congratulated a few thru-hikers on their finishes. I didn’t explain our stunt to them, for fear they would scoff! Some folks had come across the Knife Edge and were sorry for it. I didn't stick around too long and made it round trip from Thoreau Spring in just under 45 minutes.

Just as I was about to head down Abol Slide, the clouds lifted some and I got the best views of the day. They weren't much compared to sometimes but they were most welcomed on this day. The summit never came out of the clouds and it seemed to keep snowing up top. I caught up to the others about 1/3 of the way down the slide. For the rest of the trip down, the weather oscillated between big-flaked snow and sucker holes of blue.

We were going to spend the night at Abol but since the weather for Sunday wasn't likely to be anything to write home about, we all agreed we'd rather spend the night in our own beds.

...and so we did. Despite some seriously schizophrenic weather we made our goal of hiking from Abol Bridge to Baxter Peak. Our section of the AT-in-a-Day was fulfilled.

Unfortunately, I understand we came about 5% shy of getting the entire trail hiked. I'm sure we'll hear a complete report in due time.
Thanks to all those of you who participated in this extra-ordinary event!

Spencer

Last edited: