Holofiber - hype or hope?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The basis of fartlek is to alternate periods of high intensity work with periods of low intensity work

Does climbing until my lungs are bursting and other hikers can hear the pulse pounding in the back of my head followed by a period doubled over gasping for air count? I certainly feel fartleked. :D

Personally, but I'm sure I'm not alone, I'm not looking to become an athlete. Did that in school and with way too much water under the bridge, and one or two medical issues since then, I'll never regain that level of fitness.

I hike because I enjoy the woods, the wildlife and the mountains. I have no goal other than to get up and back in one piece. While I respect and admire those who can and do achieve high levels of fitness, it's not for me.

I get out and walk a mile or two as many lunchtimes as possible and, now the evenings are lighter, plan to start doing a short, but fairly steep, local climb as often as I can. Other than that, I'm not about to embark upon a strict training regimen. Sounds too much like w*rk to me :)

If Holofiber lives up to the hype perhaps it'll give me a little bit of help. If not, well I'll have a very trendy looking shirt :)

Bob

Hey Bob,

Now that I'm done laughing myself silly at your expense, let me say I share your condition to some extent. For me, help & hope have come in the form of cycling and hiking (okay, and I've started 'working' in the Y's Nautilus room in anticipation of next month's trip). For some reason, I cycle very agressively, and it's tremendous arthritis work, as it's very smooth on the joints. But, more to the point, it got my lungs & heart in GREAT shape, without being onerously work-like.

Maybe this helps.

--Mike

Heat Transfer 101?

You know, reading the ad, the first part of the speil sounds like basic heat transfer:

Holofiber® material modifies the spectrum of visible and invisible light, interacting with certain wavelengths, and altering them into energy. <So when the sunlight or infrared light hits the stuff, it warms it up.> When Holofiber® is worn as clothing, or placed near a person (in a bed sheet or pillowcase) it transmits the altered energy to the body. <Then, after it's warmed up by the sunlight, the heat can be felt as it warms you up. Even cotton does that, unless the sunlight is busy melting the frozen sweat.>

This energy sent to the body by Holofiber® helps the body’s cells to be better oxygenated. <I'm not a podiatrist, so I can't comment on this.>

Holofiber® absorbs the light energy, altering it and re-emitting it immediately but also over a period of time, which means it does not have to be subject to a continuous exposure of light in order to function effectively <So, after it's warmed up by the sunlight, or whatever, it may still be warm a minute or two later.>