How do you cross high water in the spring?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody want to try the diagonal approach?:D Frankly, if the stream is flowing so fast it's going to push me over the down stream boulders, I think I'll just pass.

There is one consideration that hasn't been mentioned thus far. We seem to assume that the problem comes as we meet the stream coming from the car. It's an easier decision to turn around.

I once found myself in the situation where I went hiking in the rain and in the morning the stream wasn't all that bad, but it rained all day and when I returned the stream had at least doubled in depth and my car was on the other side.:eek: There weren't too many options at that point. Spend the night in the rain without any camping equipment or look for a place to cross using the "diagonal";) method of course.
Yeah, that's a problem

When we hit that 2nd stream in the photo, we were a day and a night from the trail head. We camped in pouring rain. Next morning the stream was still impassable so we hiked to a logging road, then to a back road, hitched to town, got dried out and got a ride around the obstacle. So for us the 100 mile Wilderness was around 90 miles. Stuff happens!

At least when you're backpacking, you presumably have your house, kitchen and pantry on your back. Not like the guy we met later who attempted that same stream, was swept away and lost his pack (and his dignity - but did keep his life).

Les Stroud (Survivorman) echoes this.

To put it another way, think about standing - from which side is it hardest to knock one over. If someone hits you from the side or back, you're more likely to go down (and have a harder time getting up quickly), however if you're hit from the front, you're more likely to withstand the blow.

Well, I do not think that getting hit from the side is more likely to knock you down than from the front; thinking ice hockey here (no argument about getting blind-sided from behind). My main point about sideways being better is the focusing -- balance part of the equation. A steep slope and especially moving water can mess up one's eye to foot coordination.

Bear Grylls prefers moving diagonally upstream, but does not state what direction one should be facing. But, he does say to take boots off so that you have better traction.

But, let's not turn this thread into a Les Stroud vs. Bear Grylls battle, as there are already plenty of those sites out there. :D

http://www.secretsofsurvival.com/survival/cross_rivers_streams_and_rapids.html

I'm going to be trying an experimental 'jet pack' this w/e.

One trick I found useful on one of the river crossings in the hundred mile wilderness was to use a good sized pole/log ( this one was probably about 8 feet x 5") to help cross a deep and fast gap between two large rocks that protruded above the water surface. I waded halfway across, carrying the log in the air until I was close to the first rock, then I dropped the log in the water upstream of the first rock, aligned parallel with the flow of the stream, and then let the log rotate into place with the force of the current - I then had a "handrail" that was somewhat held in place by the force of the current ( as long as I kept downward pressure on it) that I used to scurry across the chest-deep gap.

Crossing Franconia Brook in October on a Day that Bikehikeskifish didn't (he was the smart one!) I didn't really lift a foot for any length of time, it's more like a shuffle from one spot to the next making sure you are secure before moving again. (just went through some rehab & I have lousy balance, in January I could not stand 10 seconds on one foot or the other on flat ground:eek::eek:)

It was fast/deep enough that I bushwhacked on the return trip, no way was I going to cross again.

Mike, are you sure that you aren't remembering the day when we crossed paths in October 2007? Here's Franconia Brook that day (sadly, as is usually the case, the photo fails to do any justice).

1690319456_a358c4da44.jpg

With an overnight pack, I wasn't going anywhere near it.