How do you deal with your back problems?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are all different and have different problems. I for one had a herniated disc between lumbar 4 and 5. Tried PT but it only aggravated it. Resorted to surgery, made things much better, but a few years after I had a relapse. Had another MRI, saw the surgeon and he said he couldn’t do anymore for it surgically. I work in a hospital and we have a good pain clinic department. I went there and had a series of shots in to that region. I think the cocktail has steroids among other things in it. Felt better immediately after the first shot, but then it wore off some. Had a total of 4 over about a year. A bad back will never be good again, but the shots did wonders. Still have some pain at times and have an open ended invitation for more shots but they are not the most pleasant so I plan to hold off till I really need it before getting another. But I must say that when by back was at it’s worst; those shots certainly made things a whole lot better.

hikingfish said:
Hi Guys,
I read all your posts (quickly though, I'm at work). I'm going to re-read everything again a bit later. All good posts! To make one thing clear, which has been repeated a couple of times, I DO WANT TO KEEP ACTIVE! lol And to touch a bit of what Neil was talking about, I think I'm starting to put barriers for myself, which is scaring me a bit to be honest. I've been feeling so 'down' lately because I can't go out and do what I want that I'm losing interest in training and hiking.

I'm meeting my doctor on Wednesday. Hopefully, he'll be able to tell me what the MRI saw 'under my hood' and how we're going to go about treating it.

I'll post a longer reply soon!

Fish
This might be totally inappropriate, and someone will tell me if it is, but - why don't you see Neil on a professional basis? When you can find a practitioner who's got first hand knowledge of your issues, it can't be beat. My cardiologist in VT had lots of experience in high-altitude climbing, and knew exactly the issues I'd be facing. It was a win-win situation.

Something to consider. Will also echo stinkyfeet's suggestion to find a good yoga teacher, especially one who focuses upon the restorative aspects of yoga. A private lesson or two might help you focus your stretching and strength-building efforts.

Hang Time

I agree with all the above suggestions and cautions.
One thing that I add to my workouts seems to help relieve lower back spasms that occur periodically. I "discovered" this when subluxated a lower back vertebrae back in the martial arts time of my life. I end my gym workouts (in addition to the normal stretching routine) with a few minutes hanging from the squat bar. It usually relieves any spasms within a few days at worst.
The usual disclaimer- this shouldn't be construed as medical advice and may not be appropriate for all situations. Neil- opinion?

jime said:
That's interesting...I just got back from my first ever visit to a Physical Therapist. I've suffered from back pain off and on since I was 17 and after all of the shoveling this winter I just couldn't shake it any more. So, I paid a visit to my doc who prescribed lots of drugs (I'm not a fan and haven't used them very much) but, and most importantly, scheduled me with a PT. Best thing I've ever done! I've been going to a chiropractor for a few years and normally he can help but not this time for some reason.

So my suggestions mirror those who've gone before. See the docs, both PCP and Chiro, skip the drugs if you can (they do have their place), see a PT and do light stretching and exercise.

As much as I hate taking the drugs they gave me, after a week of toughing it out (before I went to the doc) and thinking my back pain would go away, it would took me 15 minutes to get up from bed (from lying position to standing position, without ever leaning forward as the slightess lean forward would cause "electrical shocks" type pain in my back), after which my legs and arms were completely wasted. I didn't choose to, I got carried away in an ambulance. Luckily, it only took some muscle relax., morphine and anti-inflam. to get me going again. After that, I still a small back pain that my physioterapist took care of (it used to hurt when I would simply lean forward). But my back is still not as strong as it used to be.

Fish

Kevin Rooney said:
This might be totally inappropriate, and someone will tell me if it is, but - why don't you see Neil on a professional basis? When you can find a practitioner who's got first hand knowledge of your issues, it can't be beat. My cardiologist in VT had lots of experience in high-altitude climbing, and knew exactly the issues I'd be facing. It was a win-win situation.

Something to consider. Will also echo stinkyfeet's suggestion to find a good yoga teacher, especially one who focuses upon the restorative aspects of yoga. A private lesson or two might help you focus your stretching and strength-building efforts.

I'd be all for it actually! But it's a long drive from Québec City to Montréal just to go see a chiropractor (2h30 drive, 2h if you accept the risk of getting a speeding ticket :D )

Fish

peakn said:
I agree with all the above suggestions and cautions.
One thing that I add to my workouts seems to help relieve lower back spasms that occur periodically. I "discovered" this when subluxated a lower back vertebrae back in the martial arts time of my life. I end my gym workouts (in addition to the normal stretching routine) with a few minutes hanging from the squat bar. It usually relieves any spasms within a few days at worst.
The usual disclaimer- this shouldn't be construed as medical advice and may not be appropriate for all situations. Neil- opinion?

Ya, I tried that (very slowly and carefully at first). I find it doesn't stretch my back as well as being in a squat position, back (and arms) horizontal to the ground and pulling on a stationnary objet. I used to stretch my back by using this method and grabbing onto a medium sized tree. Feels great but usually isn't enough to get everything in it's place!

Fish

EDIT: Sorry for all the posts, I prolly should of replied to them as one big reply!

Having made a living with my back at one time, I'd like to suggest you always be diligent about maintaining good posture , especially when you sit. Sloching in a chair may not hurt at the time but it sets you up for an injury.

When at rest, lay down as much as possible.Take the weight off your spine.

Hi All!
Well, I got my results! Everything is A-OK...all the way down to L3. From there to S*, it gets ugly :(

I don't have the report with me at the moment, but I did get a hernia at L4-L5 I believe (I remember, because I saw somewhere that this linked to my hamstrings, which are always killing me). My discs between: L3-L4, L4-L5 and L5-S1 all have something.

My physio was WAY more upbeat about this than my doctorb (hehe). She said that with the report I got, I was in remarkably good condition and she had seen people with somewhat similar reports that faired much worse. She told me to continue my exercises to re-inforce my muscles (abs, obliques, the whole shebang in the area) and to increase my mobility by stretching a lot. I also got an extra exercise, which kind of looks like the "cobra" from Yoga, but less pronounced bending backward (easier for the back, but will mobilize lombard area she said). I can still train at the gym, but no exercices that will stress my back: She had originally told me it was ok to do squats, but now that we got the report, she recommended against them. So I'll return to leg presses instead.

And, as people have recommended, I've made a commitment to watching what I eat (I don't diet...I hate those they never work, but I'm watching what I eat, smaller portions, no fast food, more greens and veggies, etc) so I can lose a couple of pounds to ease the burden on my back.

One thing my physio told me is that this would heal over time if I took care of it. 6 to 12 months approx., depending if I give my back a break and do a lot of exercices to help the abs. So,...it might be a no-go as far as the mountains are concerned for this spring / summer, but I would hope I can get all better for next winter!

I'm trying to keep moral high!

EDIT: ah yes, and I forgot: I got a new training for my gym trainer. We've kept the number of exercises fairly low, to give me time to do all my physio exercices everytime I go to the gym. All my exercices are also endurance oriented: 15-20 reps., 3 sets.

Fish

Last edited:
I agree with those who say "I LOVE MY CHIROPRACTOR"

I just finished up with PT and the one problem that they couldn't take care of was in my upper back (relative to a shoulder injury) and I was advised by them (PT Therapist) to seek the services of a Chiro.

In one session, the problem was nearly taken care of.

Agree also that stretching is big (I love large exercise balls) and free weights - just as long as you know what you are doing. (...and a decent Chiropractor will help you with all of this.)

Thankfully I don't have any serious back problems. But like most people who work in the Info Technology profession, I spend most of my day sitting behind a desk. I don't always practice good posture so every now and then my lower back flares up. Fortunately my gym has a Roman Chair Hyperextension Machine which I get some pretty good use out of.

I find this works for me anyway.