How to deal with extreme sweating?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mats I think your 2.5 gallons of sweat estimate may be way off. You lose alot of water thru respiration and on really long hard hikes sometimes tears may be a factor. I think there may be only one good way to accurately measure how much sweat you are producing on a pemi loop. If we could locate a space suit would you be willing to wear it on a pemi loop? We would need a completely sealed outfit for this study. I'm picturing lots of external O2 tanks to provide you with enough air for the trip.

You may find this interesting. Of course, this is a diagnosed conditions.

A family member had the ETS procedure done 5 years ago - contrary to my recommendations.

You may find this interesting. Of course, this is a diagnosed conditions.

A family member had the ETS procedure done 5 years ago - contrary to my recommendations.

Here is another link to hyperhidrosis with a summary of surgical procedures, one of which, percutaneous sympathectomy (PS), does not sound quite as extreme as endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy (ETS) surgery (I am not that kind of doctor, so ?? :D ). But, in 1995, on one of my expeditions to Baffin Island, I met a team of climbers from Sweden (hey, Mats!) who were attempting a new route on the 4000+ ft west face (bottom half overhanging) of Mount Asgard, with many members having undergone PS surgery. They all told me that they were very happy with the procedure, which they said was common in Sweden, no longer needed to use chalk on their hands for free climbing, etc. Goran Kropp was not one of them, but they all apparently knew him well.

Mats I think your 2.5 gallons of sweat estimate may be way off. You lose alot of water thru respiration and on really long hard hikes sometimes tears may be a factor. I think there may be only one good way to accurately measure how much sweat you are producing on a pemi loop. If we could locate a space suit would you be willing to wear it on a pemi loop? We would need a completely sealed outfit for this study. I'm picturing lots of external O2 tanks to provide you with enough air for the trip.

The amount you lose through respiration depends a lot on how dry or humid the air is you breath in......out west I need to drink a lot more since often very dry.......the 2.75 gallons I measured was during a hike when it was very damp and foggy in the air (overnight)......I constantly have to wring out my shirt......I bet I would completely drench at least a dozen shirts on a pemi-loop......

I would be happy to try out one of them body suits to measure more accurately.......you can ask people I'm hiking with if they think I exaggerate......one factor which weighs in is that I'm weighing in at 207 lbs in the nude......

Now if all that sweat could be filtered and recycled......how far can you go through the desert without refilling water? Please don't respond to this last question since this thread go off in a very different direction.

Now all we can do is just wait for the comfortable temps of winter... Sweating stinks, but I wont let it limit my hiking season. I have no advise since I dont get soaked socks but I hope you figure out a solution

What's a comfy winter temp? I'm usually sweating 200 yards from the car in winter (as opposed to 100 in summer at 7:00 AM) & I'm wearing less than most of you.:eek::eek:

some ideas

Earlier starts when it's cooler. running shorts & tank tops to lessen what you're wearing just remember suncreen. I still hike in liner socks & some type of wool sock but have switched to trail shoes. No blister issues when my feet are soaked which has also allowed me to cross higher stream just by wading across because they dry (become drier post stream crossing) pretty quickly.

Running shorts Vs. poly-pro & hiking shorts are also better when saoked to prevent chafing (my biggest fear but bag balm stops that) & feel more like a wet bathing suit vs. a wet diaper.....:eek:

back to winter, I'm always amazed (read jealous if you want) when I'm soaked desceding a trail in a couple of layers, no outerwear (except for pants with zip-off legs) and a group of guys are ascending carrying full backpacks are dressed in their Gore-tex jackets & pants like it was some type of uniform, they had to wear it, I'm not talking about above treeline but at 2500 or 3,000 feet.

I don't know if I've ever been so cold hiking that I've had two layers on my legs + the G-tex out layer & then 3+ upper layers. (well one time & I died sweating up Valley way on a -14 day that taught me early in my career of winter hiking to wear less & layer.....)

Blood Pressure?

My sweating reduced significantly a few years back when I started taking blood pressure meds and started working out aerobically on a regular basis. Do a Google search for sweating and blood pressure and I think you may find a possible answer.

While on the wrestling team in high school I use to wear a “sauna suit” during practice to loose weight.

Now THAT was sweating.

The things I used to do (to my body) to make weight. :eek:

My sweating reduced significantly a few years back when I started taking blood pressure meds and started working out aerobically on a regular basis. Do a Google search for sweating and blood pressure and I think you may find a possible answer.

I am going to take a WILD guess and suggest that Matts BP is fine. But I don't really know that.

Matts, I have no help for you, but I can tell you that I have started sweating exponentially in the last two years. However, at age 46, I suspect I know why.... :(:eek:

Of course there is always:

www.kooltie.com

Hey Matts, let me know if I can help you sew up something that will help you out! I sweat a lot too, but not to the point where my socks get soaked...

Yikes. :eek:

Hey Matts, let me know if I can help you sew up something that will help you out!

Maybe sewing something like a body suit with built-in AC......this guy is up to something....he's into transparent bikes but also bodysuits:

You can have solar cells powering it during the hot days.......and you can also set the humidity level you prefer.....just need to make it able to handle bushwacks......and preserve body heat in the winter......

Jimmy_Kuehnle_Invisible_Bicycle_outside_Bolm_Studios_clear_plastic_suit_detail.jpg