How to pack a backpack...to correct forum

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okay- sheesh :eek:

I was taught that your stove is the most dangerous aspect of any trip. Additionally, those who I learned from tended to be rather particular about ways of doing things and so it was pounded into my brain to put fuel bottles away from food (like downhill and many feet away from your stove while cooking, excessive? maybe, good practice? can't hurt).

I have spent a fair amount of time leading inexperienced college and younger kids, and I usually reccomend that fuel bottles go on the outside. I don't check every fuel bottle before it goes into a pack, and I don't place it in there for them, and on several occassions I've seen bottles leak. It's probably more THEIR error (like putting it in upside down) rather than something wrong with the bottle. However, with bumping around, shifting and settling inside a pack, it's not completely unreasonable to assume that pressure might build up, the top might come a little loose, or that an o-ring isn't in the greatest condition and that some (or a lot) of gas might leak.

Me personally, yeah I put it inside sometimes. It depends on the trip, what else I'm carrying etc. ;)

blownaway said:
Bear Cannister? I can see a use for one in the Sierra's for example. East of the Mississippi the use for one is total overkill.
Hrmm, sounds like a typical newbie response. :) Joking, no insult intended.

Seriously, bear canisters are required in parts of the Daks and most definately needed. Packing one inside an internal pack makes for an interesting adventure at times. I don't use one in the Whites but I wouldn't think twice if I saw someone using a canister there.

I've always put my fuel bottle in a ziploc and in one of my outside pockets, zipped up and safe. Yes, it is possible that a fall could damage my pump, but it hasn't happened in the 20 or so years that I've been packing this way so I'm not too concerned. It's a valid issue, and I'll look carefully at how it is placed to minimize that risk.

-dave-

Bear Cannisters

No offense taken....

Yes...Cannisters are required in the Eastern Daks between April 1 & Nov. 30. I was thinking more on the lines of Winter trips....

blownaway said:
I was thinking more on the lines of Winter trips....
This, I agree with. However, up at places like Guyot shelter with the atomic mice, a Ursack or cansiter might make life much easier than any attempt to hang food.

But we're digressing from the topic at hand...

-dave-

just stuff the crap in there!!!

besides the sleeping bag on the bottom - I just stuff it all in - with the stuff I think I might need near the top - depending on trip

all these compartments and straps, etc these packs have are a load of crap - keep it simple basic and stuff your junk in the bag and go. :D :D :D

ski_adk said:
Okay, maybe this stuff seems obvious, but can anyone offer some advice on how to pack a backpack for an overnight stay? And as for that matter, does anyone have a checklist of the stuff one would need for a few nights out on the trail?

See, I'm looking to do some overnights during the warm season and I'm trying to acquire some decent backcountry gear. For instance, I have a great car-camping tent and sleeping bag, but they're way too heavy and cumbersome to lug on a pack. Any suggestions/rules to live by when selecting this type of gear?

Thanks for the help, you guys rock!

Ski,

Sorry to get off track....Although you now have a few opinions/philosophies on how/where to pack your fuel. As far as "warm" season goes....do you mean Spring, Fall, Summer?

Spring and Fall....I would suggest something like a Marmot Pinnicale sleeping bag.....temp rating is pretty much on target and it compresses extremely well.

Summer...maybe just a fleece liner or 40 F bag at the most. I like to stay away from down in the Summer.

There are may threads regrarding getting started and what to bring...most of us just learn by trial and error. I have at least a half dozen pairs of pants, at one time had 4 tents, 4 sleeping bags, 3 sets of crampons, 4 packs, 5 pairs of boots, etc.., etc....

I buy good quality brand name gear and have no problem selling it on ebay if it doesn't work out...at times this turns out to be cheaper than renting gear.

RR

Ski,
Rereading the second part of your original question, there are a multitude of places where you can buy discounted gear which is either previous model year or discontinued models.

several great places to look are:

Sierra Trading Post

Campmor Check the Hot Deals and Web Bargains Pages

Eureka Camping Center which is also the Eureka Tent Outlet - You can fget great deals on tenst with slight cosmetic blems (A's) or even greater discounts on returned/repaired tents (B's)

Outdoor Outlet Which I bleeive is stil the Kelty Online Outlet Store.

Hope this helps.