Howker Ridge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Oaf

Reaction score
hello, would like to hike madison via howker ridge trail. the trail description sounds like it is a fun trail. just wondering if anyone has any info/stories they could share about it. thanks, big oaf

I really enjoyed this trail when I hiked it. I ascended this way. There are several false summits above treeline, but you get some really nice, interesting views into the ravine to the west of the ridge (I forget its name). Also, you get some views fairly early from some open knobs, even though it takes a while to attain the treeline. I thought that the woods down low were really pleasant and I saw absolutely no one else on the trail even though it was a lovely summer day.

A lot of people I've heard from definitely did not like this trail, however, particularly for descent. Although it is not particularly steep, they complained that it just kept going down and down and down...(Um, it's a pretty tall mountain...I don't know what else the trail could do...). Other people (ascending) didn't like the false summits, but if you know they're there...

Have Fun!
vegematic

We did Howker Ridge up Madison last October, when we were finishing our NH 4000footers. We had a beautiful Indian Summer fall day, with bright blue skies. It was a great trail to go up, with some nice woods and then some nice open areas near the top. We didn't run into anyone on the way up except one group of boy scouts. Then we looped over Madison, down to the hut and down Airline. I would definitely reccommend Howker Ridge as a different route up the peak.
Have fun!
-Danielle :)

I hiked up the Howker Ridge last September on a partly cloudy day and had a great time. It took me longer than I thought it would, after getting to treeline it seems to go up and up for a long time. Be sure to check out the Bear Pit on the way up. On the way down, I took the cutoff to the Airline, then Upper Bruin, Lower Bruin and Brookside trails. The Brookside is a really nice trail with lots of waterfalls. Plan on a long day.

Perfect timming! I was going to post this very question! I'm planning going up Howker to Madison, on to Adams and out Lowes in the next couple of weeks. It sounded like a great route that isn't used as often as others (up at least). This of course assumes the weather gods smile that day!

I'd be curious to know it's condition after your hike Big O.

Here's a trip report from a few years ago. The trail is great, I highly recommend it for some isolation in the otherwise crowded northern Presies.

-dave-

KenC said:
I'm planning going up Howker to Madison, on to Adams and out Lowes in the next couple of weeks.
If you pick up the Randolph Path where it crosses Lowe's Path it will take you right back to your car. It shares the Randolph East trailheead with Howker's Ridge Trail. You are planning a great loop!

Thank's for the input Mohamed! That looks like a great change to the route!!

Dave, thanks for the link, i must have missed it on your site. I have actually considered making it a backpack to give me a "weather day", and if i ended up with great weather just poke around up high, maybe Jefferson.

Last edited:
If you do the trip be careful on your choices of trails near the summit. For some reason more than a few folks end up taking a wrong turn and missing the summit!.

The trail isnt used a lot, I have encountered moose every time I have gone up it

Lots of Vert!

I think it has one of the largest vertical gains from a trail head to a summit in the Whites.

We found upper half quite dry so go heavy on the water if it's a hot day.

cb

I did Howker Ridge via Pine Link. That was a great trail (both) and was relatively free of the masses of people. I do remember it being quite unrelenting with those false summits! Pine Link may also be a shorter route mileage wise...

Its a great trail and we didn't see anyone until we got to the summit. The talk of false summits is not false...be prepared for several false summits. I think I said "are you kidding me?" twice on that trail. :D

- darren

What a riot... I remember saying the same thing. Although, I think I said it more than twice...

Isolation = Yes!

False Summits = YES!!

I just couldn't believe how many times I thought I was there...and wasn't! Nice way to go up, however.

No, it's a route up Mt Madison, up the NE side. It follows a ridge that quickly gets above treeline.

Re: False Summits? Mt Howker?

Jim lombard said:
Is there an official Mount Howker? I've never been up Howker but am looking forward to hiking it.
The various false summits are the "Howks", I've never heard the individual bumps given seperate names.

-dave-

I did this a few years back: Appalachia Trailhead/Sylvan Way/Howker Ridge/Madison Summit/Madison Hut/Star Lake Trail/Adams Summit/Lowes Path/Old Spur/Amphibrach/Link Trail/Appalachia Trailhead

Made for a long day but one of the most memorable hikes. Howker Ridge takes longer than most trails to Madison so give yourself some time to get there.