Humphreys Peak, AZ

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALGonquin Bob

Reaction score
Last minute question (leaving Thursday AM): I might attempt Arizona's Humphreys Peak next Tuesday. I'll have my snowshoes with me, but will I need crampons on the mountain or other traction aids for the lower elevations/approach? I know that May is not a great time for that mountain :eek:, but I'll check conditions and see how it goes.

I think you could get by with snowshoes. Have fun - it's an interesting peak. Didn't realize it was volcanic until I hiked it.

I don't think you'll have all that much to worry about. Here's a link to a webcam of the San Francisco volcanic peaks. I believe the two peaks shown in the webcam are Agassiz (left) and Fremont (right). Agassiz is basically right next to Humphreys and about 300 feet lower. Looks pretty much snow free to me.

I hiked Humphreys about a year and a half ago. Great mountain. Grades are fairly mellow throughout. The wind was the big thing on the day I summited. Holy shamoly, the last few hundred yards to the summit nearly blew me into the Grand Canyon. Have fun!

Last edited:
Judy an I hiked it 3 years ago in February--It had very little snow..We carried snow shoes..There was an on going draught...The ski area hadn't even opened yet:eek: You can check w/ locals when you arrive--I'd venture to guess you won't need anything

You can call the USFS ranger station in Flagstaff and get current conditions.

I called last year in late May before heading out West only to discover the peak was still covered in a ton of snow (I wasn't interested in hauling my snowshoes and/or crampons out there).

From the webcam it does look like there is much less snow this year.

We did it in late April a few years ago and there was probably 6-10 inches of snow up there. We didn't bring snowshoes but ended up getting off trail so we used crampons to get up to the ridge. If you stay on the trail you shouldn't need them. Great hike, enjoy
calderhelltrail.jpg

We hiked it in early May many years ago without snowshoes, ran into postholing high up and those wearing sneakers turned back. Can't imagine that crampons are ever needed in this dry climate.

Don't believe what the FS says, at the office they told us the trail was snow-free although you could see snow on the peaks from the parking lot. Later the Park Service told us the North Rim of the Grand Canyon was still closed due to snow although some people who hiked up from the bottom said there was no snow. Found out later that North Rim was always closed until 5/15 regardless of snow because that's when the seasonal rangers start.

I'm back. Due to a problem I had immediately after hiking out of the canyon last Sunday (temporarily hospitalized for Hyponatremia and thought I was going to die :eek:), I did not attempt Humphrey's Peak. I did inquire about the trail conditions, and was told that very little snow remained (as of May 14), so no special gear was needed. Very little snow was visible on the peak. I did hike in the Grand Canyon for 3 days, and will write a TR soon.

I'm back. Due to a problem I had immediately after hiking out of the canyon last Sunday (temporarily hospitalized for Hyponatremia and thought I was going to die :eek:), I did not attempt Humphrey's Peak. I did inquire about the trail conditions, and was told that very little snow remained (as of May 14), so no special gear was needed. Very little snow was visible on the peak. I did hike in the Grand Canyon for 3 days, and will write a TR soon.

Wow, glad you are ok. Can't wait to read the report.

BOB! I'm so glad that you're okay. Good for you for being wise, and I'm sorry that the trip didn't go as planned. I hope that you had some good times. I, too, greatly look forward to the trip report!

Yikes, Bob :eek: So sorry this happened to you while on vacation. :(

By now you must be very well versed in hyponatremia, electrolyte & fluid consumption. If you do a search of hyponatremia on this site, you will see it's been discussed a few times.

I know at least a half dozen people (ultrarunners) who have suffered this condition severely enough to warrant hospitalization. It is real, and you don't have to be desert hiking for it to occur.

I have electrolyte caps (Succeed, Endurolyte, and SaltStick brands) coming out of my ears--free samples for the 100 miler we put on--if anyone wants to try some. :)

Hope your recovery has gone speedily, and I, too, look forward to your trip report.

I did hike in the Grand Canyon for 3 days, and will write a TR soon.

I'll echo what everyone else has said: I'm glad you're okay. BUT...as soon as you have a moment, get that Grand Canyon trip report up! :)

(Must live vicariously...chained to work desk...need to read about other people's hikes...)