Huntington Ravine hike?--soon!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessbee

Reaction score
I've been told the Huntington Ravine trail up Washington is so challenging, and I simply *can't* hike this one all alone...problem is I often hike alone, and most people are busy working (ohhhh it's nice being a teacher). So if somone is free on an upcoming weekday please join me so I can see what all the hype is all about. I'd like to get it in sometime this week, and I'll be forced to do it alone (gasp) if no one takes me up on this.

who told you "can't"? that is crazy - first off - on a nice summer weekend day - you won't be alone on this trail - I know you said weekday but....

I don't know your hiking abilities - it is a challenging trail, but by no means "impossible" - it does a have a few class 3 scrambles in which you want to pay attention to and you don't want to slip - don't do it in bad weather - pick a nice sunny day. I am sure someone here would be willing to go with you - I am kind of booked until late sept - early oct -

while it gets a nasty rep in guidebooks - it is still a hiking trail - not a rock climb. Personally - I think its bark is worse than its bite. other may disagree.

we may meet on the pressie traverse prior to then anyway!

We agree with Giggy! This is a favorite route up Washington. Very few people do it, but you most likely will see a few people. As long as it is dry, it is no more challenging that Whiteface.

Sunday Aug 21

I'm planning on doing it next Sunday morning. I'll be spending Saturday night at Hiker's Paradise, eating 6:30 breakfast at Pinkham Notch, and hitting the trail at 7:30.

I've done it twice; first with a group and then solo. I agree that it's preferable to do it with others the first time around.

I usually move at a booktime pace or better. If it rains, I'll probably head to Mahoosuc Notch instead.

Anyone care to join me?

Agree with the others that this certainly is a trail that anyone who is reasonably fit and comfortable with some moderate scrambling can handle. And if you're used to hiking alone, this should be fine. You also have to be relatively comfortable with a bit of exposure in a few spots, but nothing heartstopping. Of course it is also a trail that is a lot of fun, and going up with someone to share it with can enhance that.

I would not go up on a day where there was a decent possibility of thundershowers or significant rain. But even in terms of some light rain/wetness on the trail, if that happens to occur once you're out there, know that the portion where slipperyness will be most of a factor is right at the beginning of the headwall, on a 20-30 foot slabby section. The rest of the headwall is not like this first part. So you could make your decision with that info in mind.

Good luck!

Wish I could join you. I can't make it to the Whites until late September.

But don't worry about doing it alone if you have to. As others have said, on a nice day you will see other people. I did it solo in September 2001. There was a husband and wife about 10 minutes ahead of me, and another solo guy about 5 mintues behind me. And others unseen, I'm sure.

Altho, it would be great to have someone else along if for no other reason than to provide perspective in your pictures. :D Seriously, my photos came out great, but it's hard to tell exactly how huge everything is. So now whenever I show someone the photos from that hike, I also show them Dave Metsky's trip report and photos found Here. (Thanks, Dave! :eek: )

I would love to join you,but weekdays are bad for me.This trail is definately on my list to do.I love challenging terrain.If your up for a weekend trip up there let me know.

Hey JessBee,

Another "perspective" on this hike... I've done it solo twice, without any major problem. However, given the fact that I am slightly height challenged (I'm 5'2") there are several places where finding hand/foot holds is difficult. Like others have said, you must be fairly comfortable with some exposure as going up that slab on the headwall can be bothersome to someone who gets a little nervous in those siuations. Both times I've climbed it I have only seen a couple of other hikers so don't necessarily count on anyone around until you get up out of the ravine. Give yourself plenty of time, watch your footing, and take enough breaks to really enjoy the views! Have fun!

I've also done this one solo a few times and had no problems (YMMV).
I'd offer to go with you as I'm itching for a hike up there this year (trying to make it an annual thing) and I'm free until the end of August, but I'm afraid my pace (think: snail) would really put you off.

^MtnMike^

Metsky's pics look pretty fun, but a little steep. Does anybody have a point of reference as far as how this might compare to Katahdin's knife edge, Acadia's precipice trail or Half Dome in Yosemite?

Re: Knife Edge

I felt the scrambles down into and then up out of the sharp little col between Pamola and Chimney Peak were on a par with the most exposed sections of Huntington Ravine. Not terribly difficult, but a fall could kill you.

I climbed this trail for the first time this year solo, however, there were others within shouting distance during the scramble. I have to admit after reading the AMC guide I was a bit nervous, but the trail turned out to be a wonderful escape from the hoardes ascending Tuckerman.

If the trail is dry, it should not provide any difficulties for someone who is comfortable with heights and exposure. I would agree with others that some of the hand holds are a stretch, but with a little patience and consideration for where your next step or hand hold should be, you should be fine.

Good luck, be safe!

I'll be in the Whites at the end of this week and the weekend. If you go up early on Friday, I might be interested in joining up.

Jessbee,
I would be interested in joining you for Huntington's. Its the only trail I haven't climbed Washington from and Ive been considering it for a few months now. I have Mondays off for the foreseeable future so let me know!

Well folks I'm headed up Huntington Ravine this Thursday, thanks for the advice and invites...pictures to follow!

Jessbee - did you make it? We hked it today - great day - only saw 7 other hikers on the trail and a few rock climbers. Great weather until we hit the summit and some clouds. We are currently in the weather observatory and are spending the night - tomorrow we get to see the finish of the Mt Washington bike race. Look for pics and a trip report early next week. One thing unusual that we saw today was a grasshoper carrying a baby grasshoper on it's back while the other parent stayed close by.

Brief trail report...we made it:)

Bobandgeri... NH_Mtn_Hiker and I summited Washington via Huntington Ravine in a hair over 3 hours. It was a fun trail, with lots of those massive rock cliffs, piles and ledges to clamber over. We only saw 2 other hikers on Huntington, and coming up Mt. Washington that way totally blocks out the (obnoxious) sights and sounds of the Cog Rail!! I wouldn't say it was all that difficult, but I could see how someone very inexperienced or unprepared (or, with bad weather) would have a tough time. NH_Mtn_Hiker suggested climbing up the rocks rather than sticking to the trail the whole time so we even ventured off trail (rock-whacked?) for a bit. He was a great hiking buddy, and I'm sure he could have made it up faster without me!! Following him gave me a great workout though.

Since you two went up the day after us, you must have had great weather too--I was on Garfield that day and it was awesome :)

Now that I've done it once, I would definitely attempt Huntington solo.

After Washington we bagged Monroe and came down the long way via Camel, Davis, Glen Boulder and Direttisima. Pictures from the trip are here: http://community.webshots.com/album/428990140HsDsZJ