Hypothermia

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in May 1997, I believe. It was the year of the record snowfall in Tuckerman's Ravine in the spring. It was while I was at the end of my high school years, my friend Steve came with me to do Tuck's w/ my dad. We parked at the parking lot and headed up the trail. It was raining in the parking lot, temps around mid 50's, close to 60. By the time we got to Hermit, it had turned much colder. I was a bit chilled, but was excited to go do Tucks. So, we climbed up to lunch rocks, and at that point the weather had turned. There was about 6 inches of new snow in the ravine, and the wind was howling. I unloaded my pack and pulled my boots out. My feet were so frozen that I could not put my boots on by myself. My dad had to help me shove my feet and shins into my boots before I attempted to climb the headwall. I was shivering and very cold at this point, but no way was I going to turn back. After a few minutes and some violent shoves, my boots were on and I was ready to go up the headwall. I could not feel my feet at this point, but I did not care. We climbed to the top of the headwall and had an amazing run down Tuck's and then down the Sherburne trail. I guess the body heat generated going up the Headwall staved off the hypothermia. It was a marvelous transition going from the weakness into a feeling of utter strength.