I Am the King of Putting My Foot in My Mouth

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I hike with my full crew (Angry Man Ass, Glacial Pothead, et al) things can get pretty down and dirty on the trails. Hey, we're guys, and pretty damn immature ones at that! We dont get out together all that often so when we do, we regress back to our high school days.

Anyway, our rule is that whenever any one of us sees an approaching hiker, we yell out the code phrase "OAK TREE" which is a signal for us to clean it up.

Another rule we have is that the gassiest one has to walk last in line. But that's another story.

bob

Just after a hike, I was talking to my wife on my cell-phone just after getting out of my car in a grocery store parking lot. Feelin a little gassy, I put my foot up on the bumper to lean on it, didn't see anyone around, and let one rip. Then I looked behind me as this young lady was about 10 ft behind me with a look of absolute horror on her face. Oops.

Another time, post-hike at a trailhead, we were all changing in/around our cars. My brother's brother-in-law who is a little too free with nudity was standing right out in the middle of the parking lot wearing a t-shirt and a smile as a family was about to pull in. They drove on down the road after getting an eyeful. Nobody should have to see that... :eek:

All the time

One time I was backpacking with a group of guys that I did not know and as the only women in the group I wanted every one to feel at ease, you know- not be restrained with a girl around. So, I let off with a couple of F-bombs. It didn't seem to loosen up the group- every one was rather dam polite..circumspect in fact. I thought that I would have to resort to arm-pit farts and stories of foods that cause and enhance farting (since I know that this topic is much loved by the male of the species)- but I was saved from this when I was told that most members of the group were church going and didn't use foul language, etc. Oops!

Once I was on the train talking to a friend about an up-coming trip to NJ's Pine Barrens. Specifically I was talking about the parasites that we needed to take action to avoid, one of these is a kind of arachnid called a "chigger", something we don't normally have to be concerned about in the NE but NJ is like there Northern range limit. Well- there was an African-American sitting near us just glaring at me...wait, not my bad.

I do remember May 1995, On top of Emmons - Slogging through the wet crap on the herd path - We finally got o the canister and I sat down and said I can't beleive how F$%*ing wet I am (since everyone behind me was relatively dry, all being much smaller than me).
My buddy Al shot me a glance that said careful and nodded his head slightly. I looked up and striding right in is Pete Hickey and son.

I always wondered if Pete heard me say that (Though I didn't know who he was at the time) If you did Pete, I certainly apologize!!!
Rick

Rick said:
.....I sat down and said I can't beleive how F$%*ing wet I am ....
My buddy Al shot me a glance that said careful and nodded his head slightly. I looked up and striding right in is Pete Hickey and son...... If you did Pete, I certainly apologize!!!
Rick
You know... I remember that! The kid's english wasn't good enough at the time, to understand those kind of words. (Four years professional trail crew has certainly taught him now.)

Tom Rankin said:
Not that I heard anything uncouth, but 2 of my friends were climbing almost a mile behind me 2 winters ago and I could hear every word they were saying. So remember, your words may carry a lot farther than you think!

Was it on Starr King Trail to Waumbek? I experienced the same with some folks a half hour behind.

I usually hike with dogs, as only they will put up with my sarcasm.

Pete_Hickey said:
You know... I remember that! The kid's english wasn't good enough at the time, to understand those kind of words. (Four years professional trail crew has certainly taught him now.)
Well I think an apology is 11 years overdue... Please tell him I am sorry for my use of language!!!! :eek:

SAR-EMT40 said:
My response would have been simply. "Then you should know better than most and you have my sympathies." ;) :D

KR

"Sorry" covers both angles ... you have to be diplomatic in those forums. ;)