In need of anti-fogger suggestions for eye wear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerry13

Reaction score
Otter River, Mass Avatar: Leisurely winter hike o
To all prescription eye glass wearers out there. Has anyone found anything that will prevent/control fogging of eye glasses. Contacts are out. I need bifocals and only have one eye so that eliminates two different contacts. I did that before I lost sight in one of the eyes. Running, skiing, hiking in the winter, it is a nuisance problem and the fogging clears quickly because of the dry air. However, Monday's hike up Mt Garfield, with the cold, rain, fog, snow and ice conditions made the nuisance fogging a real safety issue. I have tried anti fogging cloths and sprays but none of them have worked. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

I have the same fogging problem, and eventually I resort to packing my glasses. I am also interested if someone has found the miracle cure for this problem since I never have. I don't believe there exists a product that consistently works effectively to eliminate fogging. Good luck!

I've tried the anti-fog stuff that you can apply to the inside of ski goggles and that has worked for me in the past. I'm wondering though if your eye doctor might be able to suggest something as well. I have not worn my glasses while hiking for several years so maybe there's something better out there now.

Good luck.

-MEB

Cat Crap has worked no better for me than properly applied spit. :) But both work fairly well, even if both with eventually fail. Go for as long as you can without touching your lenses, once you start futzing with them you'll need to keep cleaning them.

I also tie a bandana around my wrist or on my sternum strap for easy use, it's much better than using fingers.

Spit, definately spit.

-dave-

A rain hood tends to keep humid air around one's glasses--maximizing ventilation helps. I tend to wear a baseball cap (with the front high enough to get some air flow over the top of my glasses) and avoid pulling my hood up unless absolutely necessary.

Another thing is to avoid exhaling upward.

I keep a clean hankerchief or paper towel in a jacket pocket for cleaning/drying my glasses.

I have some cat crap, but have never had sufficient need to try it...

Doug

Try a dive shop, I used some stuff(can't remember the name) when I used to dive and it worked really well.

For us heavy sweaters, glass fogging will occur in any weather condition, with or without hats/hoods/heavybreathing, whether we have crapped/spit or anything else on the lenses.

For me, contacts have been a godsend. However, I am now starting to realize my arms are getting too short so my optical choices are changing. I've continued with the contacts, and supplement them with reading glasses when needed. Other than looking at maps, I don't need the close up capability on the trail.

Tony

I agree on a ball cap style hat in precipitation rather than a hood, though for me it's because I can hear better. I never noticed that a hood made a fogging difference.

Most goggles that I've seen, which are admittedly made to wear with glasses, specifically caution against using an anti-fogging product on the inside of the goggle. When I'm wearing goggles, I cat crap both sides of my glasses lenses and the outside of the goggles, which has worked for me.

My eye doc some years ago suggested a simple solution that proved to work very well: Switch to smaller eyeglass lenses, which provide better ventilation.

My hiking world has been more clearly in view ever since I took that advice.

(I am nearsighted, wear bifocals, sweat profusely, steam like crazy, and for too many years stumbled around while hiking either fogged up or with spectacles stashed in a pocket.)

G.

Ventilation is key, whether it's venting heat away from them if possible or making the surface smaller so less lens surface to trap heat.

I'm in the same boat as Tony so contacts had to work, still have issue with Glacier Glasses in winter but spit has been okay. Concept takes getting used to but if you snorkeled or did any scuba diving, you are used to it,

I agree with the folks who say ventilation is the key. I have found that if I am sweating my glasses will fog. In the winter I often hike without a hat or with a sombrero hat and just a long sleeve coolmax top. I have learned to put on and take off layers alot in order to control my body temperature and reduce sweating and fogging. I have tried cat crap and found it to be worthless. I use something called 500 PSI in my dive mask but to be honest i am not sure if it works any better than plain old spit.

Something that has worked for me is a product called Rain-X Anti-Fog. It is sold in auto parts stores (or auto departments of department stores) since it's primary purpose is as a windshield anti-fogger. I've used it several times hiking (once in Winter) and one application kept my lenses clear for about 4-5 hours. Before I discovered that I went with the small lens theory, which worked ok. Also, I found that if I went as long as possible without wearing a hat, it kept the lenses clear longer. Must have something to do with venting the heat. Of course the no-hat trick won't work if it is raining or (for those like me whose hair is disappearing at an alarming rate) in bright sun.

Another four-eyed hiker here.

My .02

Baseball cap = good. OR's Seattle Sombrero = better. But when above treeline in a driving rain or sleet, neither approach is of much help.

Cat Crap helps to minimize fogging problems, doesn't improve things much when there is a driving rain or sleet.

If it's cold out... sleet and icing (on both sides of the lenses) can be a serious problem. Cat crap doesn't help in that situation, so I almost always carry goggles if I'm headed above treeline in the Presis and the weather looks sketchy. At a minimum, I can always wipe the water or ice off the goggles lens with a gloved hand without worrying about scratching/damaging a pair of $400 bifocal lenses.

Thanks to all for the helpful hints. I will try those suggestions I haven't yet. Our friends with good vision just don't know what they are missing. I'm glad I had a good new hiking partner who was patient and my sentinel for slippery spots and postholes. Thanks Marie.

LarryD said:
Something that has worked for me is a product called Rain-X Anti-Fog. It is sold in auto parts stores (or auto departments of department stores) since it's primary purpose is as a windshield anti-fogger. I've used it several times hiking (once in Winter) and one application kept my lenses clear for about 4-5 hours. Before I discovered that I went with the small lens theory, which worked ok. Also, I found that if I went as long as possible without wearing a hat, it kept the lenses clear longer. Must have something to do with venting the heat. Of course the no-hat trick won't work if it is raining or (for those like me whose hair is disappearing at an alarming rate) in bright sun.

I use Rain-X on my cars and I've often wondered if it would work on my glasses amd ski goggles, but I've been afraid to try it because I was worried about damaging my $400 bifocals and $120 ski goggles....I now might give it a try !

People that don't wear glasses don't realize how frustrating this issue can be for folks that do and are trying to enjoy outdoor sports. I enjoy hiking, cycling and skiing. I've learned to live with the sweat issue hiking and cycling, but fogging goggles when skiing is my biggest frustration. I've tried over the glasses goggles and contacts and I find both have compromises that you have to live with. My contacts are for distance only which means I have to carry reading glasses with me; also since I have astigmatism, they're very expensive. They also dry out easy while skiing which can make them uncomfortable at the apres' ski get together, unless you rewet them (more stuff to carry on the mountain). The over the glasses goggles allow me to wear my bifocals which allows me to read and minimize the stuff I have to carry with me. The downfall is they seem to fog easy no matter what you put on them...always seems to happen on a powder day when you're sweating and working hard ! My long range solution will be Lasik.

Sugarloafer: There are warnings on the Rain-X as to using them on certain types of surfaces. You may want to review those warnings before you try it, or maybe try the product out on a cheaper pair of glasses. I've had no problems with my regular plastic lenses or my polarized sunglasses.

Lasik???? Not worth it

Sugarloafer: I know there are a lot of success stories related to Lasik. I thought about it many times before and always ended up dealing with the inconveniences of specs because I was afraid to be one of the unfortunate. Though my loss of sight is not Lasik related it is none the less the unimaginable conclusion. Although I have enough sight left if the other eye to get by I spent almost a month totally blind. I can't emphasize enough how frightening that prospect is. Put up with the inconvenience of the specs and be thankful for what you have. Don't let anyone screw with your eyes unless it is absolutely necessary, then get second and third opinions and finally call me.

Let me join kerry13 in noting the other side:
Glasses certainly have disadvantages, but they also protect your eyes from wind, cold, flying small objects (dust, grit, insects), branches, etc.

Doug