Info on Maine 4000 footers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whtmthiker

Reaction score
Need info on Maine 4000 footers

Hi. I'm new to VFTT but not new to hiking... I've completed the 4000 footers in NH and VT and now would like to work on ME. I've been lurking for awhile and see that there is quite a lot of experience on this site with very useful and helpful info so decided to get some input...

I'm rafting on the Kennebec this Saturday and was hoping to get a 4000 footer close by that allows dogs (Katahdin is out :mad: ) on Friday. I'm also hoping to board my dog close to the rafting place in ME. It's at the forks.

I was thinking of hiking Speckled Mountain on Sunday because it seems the closest to NH for my ride home (I live in the White Mountains). I also would be interested in hiking a 4000 footer not on the AT on Friday but this is not necessary. I'm just planning to section hike the AT and would like to save some when I get to ME.... but that's a whole new post that I'll be asking soon :)

I know it's last minute but would welcome some company on Friday and/or Sunday. It will be me and my dog. I hike at a moderate pace... usually averaging 2 miles/hr.

Thanks in advance!!

Kathy

Last edited:
whtmthiker said:
I also would be interested in hiking a 4000 footer not on the AT on Friday
the ones not on the AT in maine are abraham and reddington (in baxter there is also hamlin & north brother).

Thanks for the invite

I'd love to join you but I'm rafting on the Kennebec with some friends on Saturday. But hopefully will be able to join some hikes in the future!! Hopefully I can get out Sunday afternoon for a hike.
Kathy

ken said:
the ones not on the AT in maine are abraham and reddington (in baxter there is also hamlin & north brother).
True enough, but my daughter and I did both Abraham (easy) and Redington (a bit tougher) while doing the AT section from Gorham to Stratton.

See Report.

And don't forget that both Old Spec and Sugarloaf are off the AT by about .5 miles, and Spaulding and South Crocker are a few tens of feet off the trail as well.

Leave no stragglers.