Is the "KATAHDIN" sign ready to be replaced?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the Katahdin sign be retired?

• Yes - it is past its prime

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • No - how dare you propose such a thing!

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • I love cheeseballs!

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters
Cool thread. I hiked Katahdin in the late 80's when i was a little kid and then went back and hiked it a bunch of times in the last decade. I never realized they pulled the old switcharoo on me. I always thought it was the same sign. This is almost as painful as when i heard the easter bunny and santa werent real. Whats left to believe in??

Stealing from Dave, here is the sign in 1997.

h17.jpg

h18.jpg

Wow we were young.

If someone really has a problem with the sign being old, I suggest hiking up and burning the f-n thing. Then there will be a new sign not too long after...

-Dr. Wu

I would imagine, given how much the AMC and RMC can get when they do their trail sign auctions, that to auction off the Katahdin sign as a souvenir whenever it's replaced could bring Baxter Park a fairly good chunk of change.

What did Baxter do with the one that was replaced in 1999?

I confirmed with the information guy at ATC headquarters in Harpers Ferry this morning that this is the one I saw there a couple of years ago and that it is still on display. I may be back in Harpers Ferry this summer and will take a picture then, unless someone else does first.

If anything, the 1948 sign was a little too much. The current one I find overly excessive. What's wrong with something that's concise, less-than-huge, and well-designed?