Is the town of Jackson Hole WY itself worthwhile ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would most definitely stay in Jackson Hole. That's how I spend time acclimating to the altitude and the attitude. Hearty restaurants and plenty of bars. There's a wilderness art museum just outside of town worth browsing through, too.

Back to the bars. The Silver Dollar Saloon indeed has silver dollars embedded in the bar ... I don't remember there being any in the walls. Had good entertainment, western flavor, when I was there. It is located in the Wort Hotel, luxury accomodations, which derives it's name from the aroma which probably permeated the building back during prohibition. You could also get into a good card game, too, but I would be totally shocked to learn you can still gamble there.

The Million Dollar Saloon doesn't boast the silver dollars but has saddles for barstools. Had good entertainment, western flavor and dancing, when I was there.

I could go on but it's worth finding out for yourself. They also have some pretty cool mountains nearby.

Stan said:
That's how I spend time acclimating to the altitude and the attitude. Hearty restaurants and plenty of bars...They also have some pretty cool mountains nearby.
Attitude acclimatization I'll have NO problem with ;) . I am hiking Disappointment the day after we fly in, but I've been told most people do not have a problem going from 6500' to 11500' and back down again, hopefully I won't either.

I was in Jackson Hole in August 2005 after a week long guided backpack trip on the Glacier Trail in Shoshone National Forest: the Fitzpatrick Wilderness Range. That was some excursion for me. Anyway, regarding Jackson; I remember a few good restaurants. I didn't get a chance to visit the wildlife museum. On car rental: I rented a car at the airport for a day and drove through Yellowstone, on to the Buffalo Bill Cody Scenic Highway to Cody and return to Jackson. The rental wasn't too expensive, but the taxi fare too and from the airport was pretty steep. Didn't get a shuttle for some reason. Back to Jackson; some good restaurants and bars; the rodeo; white river rafting; the elk antler arch; tourist trap stores. That's what I remember of it. Very crowded with tourists when I was there; oh I guess I was one of them. I think that it is worth a brief visit. The town faces things that all towns are dealing with: it is too expensive for the service people to live there.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. I'd love to get back there again someday.

my 2 cents

Hi Chip,

We did Yellowstone / Grand Teton several years ago when our kids were teenagers, with Jackson Hole at the end of the trip. My suggestion would be to take a few hours to walk around, see the antler arch, get a feel for the town. Jackson Hole is not that big. Then head out to the park.

If you have some time in Moose that first day, there's a dirt road we took at the direction of a park ranger where we saw lots of wildlife. A short excursion, but a good way to get out into the country when you first arrive.

You might remember we talked about our respective trips this summer when we did Jackson for Flags. Our trip to Zion and Bryce got put on hold, glad to see your family is set to go! We'll look forward to a trip report. Have a great time.

gram said:
If you have some time in Moose that first day, there's a dirt road we took at the direction of a park ranger where we saw lots of wildlife. A short excursion, but a good way to get out into the country when you first arrive.
"4 Lazy F Road" north of the Visitor Center ? Looks like it runs up west of the river...Lazy F Road, that's funny... :p

Last edited:
Chip, hey... enough information here that you should have a good time. Dave gave the info that I'd share. Tourist, but a bit upscale - some fine stuff and some of museum quality, if you're looking. I humiliated my wife and "haggled" for a better deal in one shop (and got it).

The rodeo was in town when we spent a week there and the evening that we went in to the Cowboy Bar, some of the roadie gals got into a cat fight in the back bar area that carried out to the front sidewalk. Now that was entertaining! :D Gig, you'd of loved it!!

As Stan mentioned, also, the Million $$ Cowbay Bar is the place that has saddles for bar stools -- almost a tourist stop in itself!

Luckily I have friends who have moved out there with the welcome mat ready. (Ski and kayak friends, no less!) I just have to get my head out of the eastern mtns...

Travel safely!! No 3oz+ fluids! :(