Isolation and Impressive Storm Damage, 11/23/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
November 23, 2012: Isolation

Trails: Rocky Branch Trail, Isolation Trail, Davis Path, Isolation Spur

Summits: Isolation

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

We’re going into the final weekend of November with two hike-days, and we need both of them to complete our plans. First up is Isolation. A couple weeks earlier we had planned to hike it but swapped in Garfield in favor of an early day. Now we can let it take as long as it takes to complete the hike. We haven’t hiked a round trip from Rocky Branch trailhead on the trails in quite a long time. All of the recent hikes from this trailhead have included the Engine Hill Bushwhack, at least in one direction. This time through we planned to do it the old fashioned way, we’ll follow the trails.

The forecast for the day was pretty nice and we were expecting a very pleasant hike to Isolation. A few minutes later than planned we were on-trail making our way to the height of land on Engine Hill (south end of Rocky Branch Ridge). We had a clear hike all of the way up. Most of the wet and muddy places were fairly solid or frozen, and there was very little on-trail ice. Across the top of the ridge most of the usual muddy places were muddy, as usual. We worked on the rocks and other high spots and were able to make it to the starting point for the Engine Hill Bushwhack with clean boots.

From there to the 4th crossing of Rocky Branch (near the junction with Isolation Trail) we found a large amount of mud, water, and on-trail ice. We also found a nice assortment of high rocks that turned this section into a long rock-hop. We reached Rocky Branch and made the crossing. This crossing is often difficult but we had no trouble at all in either direction on this hike. Across the river we picked up Isolation Trail and headed for Davis Path.

Isolation Trail is usually an easy, relatively mild hike to Davis Path. This time through was more interesting than usual. We started north on Isolation Trail working our way through multiple stream crossings (all of them were easy) and managed to stay clean and dry even though there was plenty of water and mud on the trail, as usual. A little over half-way from the upper crossing to the junction with Davis Path we started seeing blow-downs. Lots of blow-downs. At one point I stopped and got a couple pictures of one cluster of trees on the trail that had been opened up for hiker passage. I thought to myself this was a particularly bad mess, but we hadn’t really seen anything yet.

As we continued on, the destruction got worse and worse. Sue and I have maintained our normal weekly hiking schedule since the bad weather associated with Sandy moved through and we never have seen any real damage. We’re seeing it now. The closer we got to the area of the tent sites south of Davis Path the more significant the damage became. The blow-downs were everywhere. A significant effort has been made to just open a way through the trees. The trail now required us to go over, under (on hands and knees), or around downed trees in order to move ahead. Eventually we made our way to Davis Path.

For a brief period I thought we were through it but around the first corner we were back on our hands and knees crawling through the trees. There were hundreds of trees lost to the storm in this area (I’m sure “hundreds” is not an overstatement). The destruction is impressive. There was evidence of clean-up work having been done all of the way to Isolation Spur.

We made it to the spur, and climbed to the summit. From the open area we could look over the surrounding forest and see trees that were snapped off everywhere. Last year it was TS Irene and lots of rain damage, this year it’s weather associated with Sandy and mainly wind damage. We stayed at the summit for a while to get the usual pictures and enjoy some cookies that made the trip in Sue’s pack. Soon, we u-turned and started our exit hike knowing it was going to take longer than planned, just like our hike in.

The hike out went as expected; slow but without any real problems. We made our way back through the very large area of blow-downs and on to the open section of Isolation Trail. The hike back to Rocky Branch Trail went well and we made it through all crossings again without any problems. We skipped the second and third crossings on Isolation Trail and simply stayed on the east side of Rocky Branch. We made the lower crossing on Isolation Trail and then the 4th crossing on Rocky Branch.

From there to the trailhead we had clear sailing up and over Engine Hill and down to the waiting truck. Somewhere as we approached the height of land we stopped to pull out our headlights and completed the final ~3 miles to the trailhead. A little later than planned we were standing in the trailhead lot packing to leave after a full day hiking Isolation.

That was easy.

Pictures will follow.

:)

Last edited:
Looks like the second winter bushwhack that skips Davis Path to the col just north of the summit may be getting used again this winter.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

Straight to the album on Facebook

Looks like the second winter bushwhack that skips Davis Path to the col just north of the summit may be getting used again this winter.
Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing. Once the snow starts to build, getting through this blow-down area won't be a very pleasant experience. The wind must have come straight up Rocky Branch Valley to cause this much focused damage in the area. (just a guess of course)

:eek:

No facebook account no album viewing.. :(
Facebook is evidently having a problem with "Public" albums. The album is available for public viewing but the feature stopped working a few weeks ago in Facebook. Hopefully, they'll fix the problem, soon.

I agree..... :(

A group of us hiked Isolation a couple of weeks ago, and brought several saws - we cleared quite a few trees but couldn't get all of them.

When you and Sue do Isolation in December you might allow an extra hour or two and clear a few more.

I understand the ridge between the Wildcats is a mess also.

When you and Sue do Isolation in December you might allow an extra hour or two and clear a few more.

I understand the ridge between the Wildcats is a mess also.

That's funny!

Isolation isn't in our December plans - The Wildcats aren't there either.

;)

Last edited:
Maybe it's worth reincarnating one of the various alphabet bushwhacks up to the summit in the winter!;)
Given the serpentine nature of the path, I was sorely tempted to just whack to the summit last Winter, or at least back down. But then I fell in a spruce trap that took me 5 minutes to get out of! :eek:

Maybe it's worth reincarnating one of the various alphabet bushwhacks up to the summit in the winter!;)
Yeah, I think that's what Peakbagger was suggesting earlier.

On a hike to Isolation last spring, Sue and I bumped into a couple guys with a dog that did the direct bushwhack to the area of the summit and the guys were losing an impressive amount of blood from various places. Evidently their route was pretty thick. They decided the trail might make a better exit plan.

I don't know if it's possible but even the dog appeared to think that was a good idea.

:rolleyes:

Given the serpentine nature of the path, I was sorely tempted to just whack to the summit last Winter, or at least back down. But then I fell in a spruce trap that took me 5 minutes to get out of! :eek:
SPRUCE TRAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon winter!

:D

Things may have changed but the route from roughly the general area where the engine hill bushwhack comes out at 3400 feet south of the last crossing of Rocky Branch to the Col just north of Isolation is a nice bushwhack on a sunny day. The trick is to set a course to end up just below the open bench with the TBM 3750 shown on the USGS map. I would shoot for the 3600 contour. The crossing of Rocky Branch can really be interesting in a high snow year but then again it can be the same using the trail crossing to the north. Then follow the countour without gaining or losing elevation over to the the brook draining the col north of Isolation. This route was open woods, a mix of larger softwoods and occasional hardwoods for the majority of the route. Once at the brook follow it up the slope. It gets steeper and the spruce/fir gets thick, the last 100 yards or so are thick and nasty the first time through, but once you pop out on the Davis path its not a long walk to Isolation. I can testify that following the brook drainage up all the way up from Rocky Branch is not a good idea as it is thick down there. I also dont advise getting too high up on the slope above 3600 feet as the woods get thick. I have encountered groups who came in from south side of this valley and universally they gave it a thumbs down as sustained thick and nasty. On my first trip we encountered folks on the summit that had taken the normal route following the Isolation trail up to Davis Path and heading south, they had started 2 hours before our group and had fought blowdowns all the way from the Isolation junction to the point where we popped out. They and two other groups followed us out and we could have collected a few beers at the end of the day as everyone agreed that this route was the easiest they had ever done Isolation (Of course three of us broke it out in the AM).

To keep the blowdown situation in perspective - while I would agree that this ridge got whacked by Sandy (as did other ridges), the trail itself has been cleared (or cleared enough) of blowdowns so that on average, the remaining blowdowns will slow you down only slightly. And, if people would start carrying their folding saws and take a few minutes to remove one or two then the rest will be gone shortly.

I've done the 'whack to Isolation - once. It was nasty. Unless you happen to hit a specific line, it may take you 3 hours to do what would have been an hour on the trail. No thanks.

We're all entitled to our own opinions.

In my opinion the trail itself has not been cleared or cleared enough. There are places that require going off-trail to get past sections that are plugged with blow-downs too solid to get through. As stated in the initial report, there are places that require crawling (hands and knees) underneath some trees, or over others. It's entirely possibly the conditions have changed since some trimming work was done. The on-trail pictures are as they came from the camera. There are trees to be removed that are most likely well beyond those that would be handled with a folding saw (although I did think about Jeremy more than once as we passed through the area).

I do agree the current conditions probably don't cost a significant amount of time. Starting a little earlier or planning for a slightly later finish might be a good idea.

During a stop at PNVC after this hike we bumped into a crew preparing for some trail-clearing work. They were gearing up, complete with chainsaws. I'm pretty sure this approach will be required to do the job that needs to be done in the area of Isolation Trail and Davis Path.

As I stated, it's only my opinion.

Earl - I may not have made my point clearly. I've no doubt the remaining blowdowns slowed you and Sue. My point was that a bushwhack up the final mile to Isolation was a dubious solution to these blowdowns.

I'm also a big advocate of carrying a small handsaw during the cold-weather months when blowdowns are common, especially by those of us who have enjoyed these trails for so many years. Not only is it a way of 'giving back', but in many instances - especially with a large group - the length of time cutting out the blowdowns takes less time than negotiating them, especially when the group will return via the same way.

Sorry if my previous post got your hackles up!:)

Earl -
Sorry if my previous post got your hackles up!:)
Kevin, Thanks - No harm done.

The most important point here is the trip to Isolation is still a fun one. Right now there is more entertainment than usual. Getting through the area of blow-downs isn't torture - it's fun (if you approach it that way).

I am a little concerned about how this will be once the snow starts to accumulate. Time will tell.

I've never tried the bushwhack directly to the summit but have read multiple reports about it; some good and some bad. With no first-hand experience I can't comment either way.

I tired it three times, the first time we started out too low trying to follow the stream from its interection with Rocky Branch it was real thick and then we quickly went uphill to the 3400 route until we were the headwaters of the stream, then whacked throuch the woods to Davis path and to on to the summit. When headed back down we skipped the valley and broke out a new route at 3400 then out via engine hill bushwhack. Second time we did it we nailed it on the 3400 route despite it being 4 weeks after the ice storm of 98. The walk up from RT 16 to Engine Hill was quite interesting. The last time we got skunked as we went to high up on the side of the valley and got into some deep snow and spruce traps which slowed us down. There was just two of us and the other individual was new to winter hiking so I had to encourage the turn around time rule, we were quite close to the Davis path and could have nailed it in about 30 minutes but I didnt want to set a bad precedent.

I've done the 'whack to Isolation - once. It was nasty. Unless you happen to hit a specific line, it may take you 3 hours to do what would have been an hour on the trail. No thanks.
I've done the 'whack (on snow) once myself and didn't have much difficulty (Mar, 2005). The only real problems were some spruce traps and the last 100 yards or so to the peak.

Route;
* Rocky Br tr from Rte 16
* Engine Hill bushwhack at ~3100 ft. (mostly open woods)
* Cross Rocky Branch River at ~3200 ft. (snow bridge)
* Head W until you reach the edge of the gully containing the stream coming down from the col just N of Isolation (open woods).
* When you reach the edge of the gully, follow the edge uphill (WNW) until you reach the ridge. (Stay out of the gully. Open woods low down and spruce on an near the ridge. There was a short difficult spot climbing over a rock where the slope meets the flat ridge top.)
* Continue on the approx same heading on the flat ridge top until you reach the Davis Path and turn left. (Mild spruce.)
* The last bit of Davis Path near the summit was clogged with drifts and blowdowns. I turned around here (out of time), but Spider Solo (independently, an hour or two ahead of me) attained the summit by going out on the W (windward) side of the ridge.

This is one of several commonly used winter bushwhack routes to Isolation.

Doug

Last edited:
i was up there on monday. it was clear some work had been done and after we removed a few more blowdowns on the way up to davis path no crawling was necessary. the corridor as it approaches the campsite is pretty messed up, but could be readily followed. the whole forest seemed to now be leaning to the north in places. some large blowdowns remain between the junction of isolation and davis paths and the sag just to the south. most could be climbed over and we removed a couple. if i had a couple hours with my big handsaw i probably could have cleared a lot of it, but that much time wasn't an option that day. i think the biggest nuisance in winter will be the hanging stuff that doesn't interfere now, but with a few feet of snow will be a problem. i'm pretty sure most of this damage can be avoided by using the bypass in the gully south of the campsite knoll, which is often the better route in winter anyhow.
i tend to think it's a good idea to have a handsaw along on most hikes to do a little work along the way. in the case of some of the recent damage a larger than normal saw has often been required. being that this damage is in a wilderness area i would assume hand tools would be the only way it would get removed. if everyone going to isolation by this route made a couple cuts while they were out there it would be cleaned up pretty quickly.

nice report, earl. you guys are really rolling along on those grid peaks.

bryan