Jogger runs mile with rabid fox biting her arm

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im not sure about joggers, but it does surprise me that a fair amount of backcountry users do not arm themselves at all. Im talking a knife at least, I dont carry a gun in the northeast but do carry a fixed blade handy. I remember once on a crowded summit, someone commented on my knife as I was preparing lunch. I then asked all on the summit to produce thier knives if they had them for comparison to mine, thay came up with 3 leatherman tools and one jacknife. Am I an exception to the rule here? I mean what ever happen to protection and wilderness survival while where at it. The way I see it a good knife is essential for both protection and basic backcountry task.
On another note, a very scary raccoon wandered into our campsite one night at blackberry crossing off the kanc, he would not stop advancing towards us, it took a burning poker stick to fend him off, rabid? maybe, but out west I would have shot him on the spot.

Am I an exception to the rule here? I mean what ever happen to protection and wilderness survival while where at it. The way I see it a good knife is essential for both protection and basic backcountry task.

Well Sierra, you're not alone. I often carry a fixed blade hunting knife. I do feel self conscious about it sometimes. I will often leave it at home if I'm going to be with a group on a day hike, but when alone it just makes me feel more prepared for the unexpected.

Harry

Knives* are another of those contentious topics...

* I'm referring to knives that can be used as a weapon, not Swiss Army knives and other folding pocket knives.

Some hikers choose to carry them, others do not feel they are necessary.

Doug

Knives* are another of those contentious topics...

* I'm referring to knives that can be used as a weapon, not Swiss Army knives and other folding pocket knives.

Some hikers choose to carry them, others do not feel they are necessary.

Doug

A large knife in the backcountry is a "contentious" topic, only in New England would that be the case. I take that back, only in the hiking community of New England, would that be the case.