Jordan Romero, 13 yo attempting Everest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent article. Very well written.

I hope the kid makes it, and that he comes back home safely. Not sure how I feel about the Everest controversy, but I admire the kid's accomplishments.

I didn't get the "wealth" side of things so much from the article. Its a lengthy read but has interesting points. So now do we get to tell our kids there brain isn't done developing the frontal lobe til they're in their midtwenties!:rolleyes:

I get the pros and cons they gave to go from the Tibetian side but am not completely in with the unguided idea. I would think they would want at least one individual along that has Himalayan experience besides the three sherpas.

Regardless, I hope they have a safe adventure because Everest is not likely to agree with the "light and fast" tactical approach!;)

I get the pros and cons they gave to go from the Tibetian side but am not completely in with the unguided idea. I would think they would want at least one individual along that has Himalayan experience besides the three sherpas.

The father and partner got fairly high on Nuptse last spring, which led them to decide against another trip up the Khumbu icefall, I think, which is not only more expensive but more dangerous than the Rongbuk - Northeast Ridge route via Tibet. My guess is that their desire to climb Everest without a sherpa is in part for the challenge and in part to save $$ for Vinson, which would be their last of the Seven Summits. There will certainly be plenty of others around on the Northeast Ridge route, but that does not mean that assistance will be available. :(

http://climb.mountainzone.com/2006/david_sharp/index.html

Wealth has its privileges.

Brian
"The more audacious the record, the more attention it attracts and the more value it delivers to sponsors, which in turn makes the audacious record chase financially possible."

"At least a dozen corporate sponsors—including Sole footbeds, Vasque boots, Jetboil stoves, and FRS energy drinks—are contributing equipment, and Jordan recently won a $5,000 Polartec Challenge grant. But most of the $120,000 expedition total is coming out of Team Romero's life savings."

Still the same costs for me to go up, I just don't have anything of value to sell for sponsors... or a lovable 13 yo face ;)

Although one could see this whole business as, well, a business investment. You do the 7 Summits and now you can go around doing talks and sell books about your story - the majority of used mountaineering books I see are about Everest stories. It's what the public craves.
It might have an initial big price tag but it might be worth it in the end.

Anyway, good luck to Jordan :)

I hesitate to pass judgment on anyone, especially a parent-child team. I know nothing about Everest except for what I've read, and I have no high altitude climbing experience.

That being said, I have two strong sentiments:

One: I feel that the vast majority of adults underestimate children. I suspect that most kids -- the ones that are growing up active and not sitting in front of the television set -- are physically capable of far more than their parents suspect.

Two: That being said, this is Everest, not Mt. Washington. I jokingly asked Hugh if he would allow Alex to do something like this while she's under the age of 18. His response was an immediate "hell no." I feel the same way. In my opinion, for my own family, the risk is far too great. I can see a Kilimanjaro attempt in our future, but that's the limit. She can do whatever she wants when she's older, but I don't want to take/allow unnecessary risks when it comes to my kid. (I am not comparing Alex's abilities to Romero's, just using her as a hypothetical to assess my own feelings on the matter).

However, that's just me, speaking for my own family. I can't pass judgment on somebody else's family. The kid certainly has enough experience and it's clear he's mature for his age and has a definite goal. I do hope the risk has been sufficiently explained to him, though. That's the only thing that wasn't clear in the article. However, he's 13 and not an idiot, so he has to know there are bodies all over that mountain...

Last edited:
Whenever I read/hear any story about "...the youngest kid ever" to achieve this or that, my radar goes up and I look closely at the parents. I always wonder if the kid really wants to do it, or if the parents are in a subtle way (or maybe not in a subtle way) pressuring the kid to do it, to gain some glory through the kid. That's always sleazy. Not saying it's happening here...I read most of this story and nothing here seems overly disturbing at first glance. But in general, these kinds of stories always leave me with the same feeling: I couldn't care less if the kid achieves the goal, I just hope he's really enjoying doing it and not just acting like it.

I hesitate to pass judgment on anyone, especially a parent-child team. I know nothing about Everest except for what I've read, and I have no high altitude climbing experience.
Does anyone else but me feel that this whole thing about the 13 year old kid is a hoax? He looks like he's in his late 20's even early 30's to me. Quite possibly I went to college with him. Just another instance of overzealous parents trying to pass off a middle-aged man as a "child" for fame and fortune in my opinion...

-Dr. Wu

I guess it's not really my place to pass judgment on this, but I wouldn't want my kids up there.

I agree with a lot of what's been said here already, especially re: most kids being capable of far more than most adults suspect. Still, Everest is a place where for every six who try, one doesn't come back ... or something like that, don't quote me on these numbers, but you get the point. I wouldn't condone my kids playing Russian Roulette, either.

I hope they all come back safely.

Whenever I read/hear any story about "...the youngest kid ever" to achieve this or that, my radar goes up and I look closely at the parents. I always wonder if the kid really wants to do it, or if the parents are in a subtle way (or maybe not in a subtle way) pressuring the kid to do it, to gain some glory through the kid. That's always sleazy. Not saying it's happening here...I read most of this story and nothing here seems overly disturbing at first glance. But in general, these kinds of stories always leave me with the same feeling: I couldn't care less if the kid achieves the goal, I just hope he's really enjoying doing it and not just acting like it.

In Romero's case, I don't think it's the parents. It MIGHT be possible to pressure a kid into climbing ONE of the Seven Summits...but not five. Also, he was interviewed alone by the authorities in one of the countries -- they wouldn't give him permission to climb unless they spoke to him to make certain the ambition came from him and not his parents (he was granted permission).

I am certain the parental pressure happens in some cases, but I think it's probably rare. You can't make a kid do something they really don't want to do. Well, maybe once or twice, but not over and over and over again.

As for parents getting the glory...I don't see that happening, ever. It's always the kid who gets the attention (and rightly so). All I've ever seen the parents get is suspicion. I've never heard of a case where a young kid did something spectacular where the parent wasn't immediately accused of pushing the kid, or having the wrong motives, etc. So I don't think the parents get much out of it, except for the satisfaction of knowing they helped their kid achieve his/her potential.

Does anyone else but me feel that this whole thing about the 13 year old kid is a hoax? He looks like he's in his late 20's even early 30's to me. Quite possibly I went to college with him. Just another instance of overzealous parents trying to pass off a middle-aged man as a "child" for fame and fortune in my opinion...

-Dr. Wu
Just like Zach Morris in the later episodes... or the entire cast of 90210, especially that woman in her 50s playing the geeky girl. I mean, c'mon, the public knows!

-Dr. Wu

You shoulda seen him on the Little League team. I heard he has a voice like Herman Munster and hit for the cycle in every game. Not fair, I say!

Lots of you will probably disagree with me on this, but does anybody worry about this kid growing up too fast and accomplishing too much before he's fully matured? He could become like so many childhood actors who grow up and have severe depression issues because they have already reached the pinnacle of their life/fame.

Once this kid finishes this, it won't be the end. He will always try to one-up this accomplishment, which in my mind cannot easily be* one-upped.

*added "easily be" to comment.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but I cringe when people fear doing something because of what might happen. Also disagree that climbing the 7 summits cannot be "one-upped." There are endless other passions to pursue in life.

As for concern over kids growing up too fast, better not let them on the internet! :eek:

I met the Romeros at high camp on Denali (they summitted 30 minutes ahead of our team the next day) and I ran into them again in Talkeetna afterwards.

Despite all the publicity, they are a very down to earth family. The 7 summits was Jordan's idea and the parents being accomplished athletes were eager to participate. The kid is very low profile yet very focused for his age. The father is definitely the PR person in the family.:D

I wish them luck and I'm cheering for them. :cool:

The northeast ridge makes me nervous with a kid there. That's where Boardman and Tasker pooped out. It sounds like an extra long trek in the death zone, with all kinds of potential threats. Despite the Russian roulette in the icefall, I think the Nepal side is safer, and so havn't other young climbers so far.