Jordan Romero, 13 yo attempting Everest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am really tossed up about this, my first instinct is NO he is only 13. Does this not tread closely to "child endangerment.

But on the other hand when I was 13 my parents dropped me and my cousin off at Pinknam Notch to hike the Rock Pile. This became a tradition for the next few years 'til I had my licence. How many here had similar adventures as a kid. I have a strange feeling many here did.

100 years ago boys, young men left home at 13-16 to make a life for themselves. There was nothing called "adolescence. You were either a child or an adult. No period of foolishness and lack of responsibility. No excuse of "I'm a teenager".

At the ae of 17 George Washington was appointed as county surveyor where he went by himself into the wilds of Virginia, at 19 he was appointed as a major in the militia.

At 16-17 Joan of Arc led French forces in combat against the English and won! The list goes on and on and.........

I personally feel we as a society expect to little from "young adults" I would also recommend "Do Hard Things" by Alex and Brett Harris. reat book about teenage reballion against low expectations. My wife, 13yo daughter and I both have read it and found it very informative.

The northeast ridge makes me nervous with a kid there. That's where Boardman and Tasker pooped out. It sounds like an extra long trek in the death zone, with all kinds of potential threats. Despite the Russian roulette in the icefall, I think the Nepal side is safer, and so havn't other young climbers so far.

Boardman and Tasker died on the "middle" Northeast Ridge, a much, much more difficult variation than the standard route from Rongbuk glacier basecamp on the Tibet side. Good point on the extra distance up high in the death zone, but just about everyone on that route is on O2 gas day and night most of the way above the North Col at 23,000 ft.

First, I'll admit that I did not read the entire article; I will do so later. I have mixed feelings about this. I do give the kid a ton of credit. This statement says a lot:

With more and more of his peers playing video games, fighting obesity, and contracting diabetes, he would serve as a powerful counterexample. He wants to inspire American kids to climb their own mountains. Or at least to go outside.

He certainly has his head and heart in the right place. Still, he could set the example he wants to set by climbing lesser summits. If he were my son I would encourage him to try Everast when he gets a bit older that way the experience (assuming he makes it) would mean that much more to him. That is just my opinion as a father.

I'll certainly be rooting for this kid and I am glad to see that his father is getting involved with him. Best wishes guys.

Still, he could set the example he wants to set by climbing lesser summits.
True, but the greatest number of laypeople would be reached with Everest. Pick any 13 year old and spout out the names of the 7 summits, and of all the 8000m peaks and see which one he/she recognizes. I bet it would be an extremely high chance that the only peak recognized would be Everest.

I'm not saying this as a "he needs to climb Everest" pitch, but just saying that if one was looking to set an example to a great audience, the media reach one gets by climbing Everest can't be matched with any other peak in the world and probably by a very long shot.

It'll be an interesting story regardless, to say the least, with the 3 of them all going up together. All kinds of "what ifs" there.

Hopefully the kid makes it, achieves Rock Star status and is retired by age 15. There are certainly loads of athletes and entertainers making bucks who have done a lot less.

Did I see where this would be #6 and that they haven't done Antarctica yet ?

There's a 16 year old from India trying, who would be the youngest if Jordon doesn't summit. And I read there's a 71 year old Asian woman going for oldest women to summit this season. Season starts now, basically.

Oldest...youngest...woman...blind...double-amputee...naked...first cell-phone call from the summit...

Jeebus, already! Does it always have to be about the records? :mad:

Doesn't anybody climb the friggin' mountain for personal reasons anymore? You know, like the physical and mental challenge, overcoming adversity, commitment to the task at hand, etc. This Seven Summits crap is getting real old, real quick.

Curse you, Dick Bass...! <shakes fist>

Oldest...youngest...woman...blind...double-amputee...naked...first cell-phone call from the summit...

Jeebus, already! Does it always have to be about the records? :mad:

Doesn't anybody climb the friggin' mountain for personal reasons anymore? You know, like the physical and mental challenge, overcoming adversity, commitment to the task at hand, etc. This Seven Summits crap is getting real old, real quick.

Curse you, Dick Bass...! <shakes fist>

Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.

Isn't climbing the 7 Summts a "Personal Goal" for this kid? I'm sure he'll have to overcome mental and physical challenge, adversity, commitment etc. Why does he have to have agreeable-to-all personal reasons for doing anything?

-Dr. Wu

Last edited by a moderator:
How many 12 year olds have tried and failed?

Getting your kid to raise money is a nice way to get yourself there too, nice benefit.

I think an age record for such a thing is almost irrelevent, how much are you actually doing yourself for an Everest climb nowadays.

From what I have read, it appears that having climbed Everest can make a significant difference in a guide's career.

Doug

Sure, I get that it means something in the climbing/hiking world. But if one is looking for fame and fortune, then this might not be the way to go.

From what I have read, it appears that having climbed Everest can make a significant difference in a guide's career.

Doug

Sure, I get that it means something in the climbing/hiking world. But if one is looking for fame and fortune, then this might not be the way to go.

Adding "has climbed Everest" adds to any resume. I find especially for public and motivational speakers.

I don't think many people make any real money by doing this kind of thing. As for the glory, yeah, sure, but how many people outside the climbing world actually care?
I said that as a joke and movie reference but it's not uncommon to see book deals on out of the ordinary outdoor events, especially including Everest (ie. Erik Weihenmayer's book). Throw in some disaster and it will sell even more (Into Thin Air). Inspirational talks, books, guiding, etc. More fun and probably cheaper than an MBA :D

Last edited:
I said that as a joke and movie reference but it's not uncommon to see book deals on out of the ordinary outdoor events, especially including Everest. Throw in some disaster and it will sell even more (Into Thin Air). Inspirational talks, books, guiding, etc. More fun and probably cheaper than an MBA :D

True. Guess I was thinking that books don't usually sell enough copies to make their authors rich, unless you're one of the very few name-brand popular fiction writers. Though you're probably right, a mainstream book on Everest is probably an exception.