July 4th weekend invitation to Barnes Field

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am bringing my coleman stove and can cook on that for Thursday night....

I'll bring a rope too, but will pass on using it as a pillow :eek:

Heading up Thursday afternoon also.

Darl58 said:
I'll bring a rope too, but will pass on using it as a pillow :eek:
A 200-foot rope can be shared by 200 people as pillow if you stretch it out and 100 people sleep on each side of the rope...... ;) 12 mm over 8 mm is preferred :D

Mats Roing said:
A 200-foot rope can be shared by 200 people as pillow if you stretch it out and 100 people sleep on each side of the rope...... ;) 12 mm over 8 mm is preferred :D

Sorry Mats..still going with my pillow, I don't mind sharing a pillow...but with 200/100 nahhh

Question: where did you do this research????

Darl58 said:
Question: where did you do this research????

The below only accounts for one side of the rope so I had to multiply it by 2 (see the very last part).
P = pillow width
H = head width
D = hip width

Had to include a D - LIP variable as well in case some people get cuddly and starts French kissing since it affects the moisture-level of the rope (based on the breathing capacity of the lungs and circumference of the mouth) which affects elongation of the rope.

2602242e4.gif

Mats Roing said:
Had to include a D - LIP variable as well in case some people get cuddly and starts French kissing since it affects the moisture-level of the rope (based on the breathing capacity of the lungs and circumference of the mouth) which affects elongation of the rope.

Okay...I had to ask..... :confused:

French kissing???...I don't need a repeat of Lafayette Campground's sound effects to sleep by...... :eek:

Try some dacron line next time you need a stable pillow--it doesn't elongate when wet...

BTW--don't use it as a main climbing rope. It doesn't stretch under load and will not properly absorb impact forces.

Doug

cbcbd said:
So I guess that also rules it out for using as a bed. :D
Well, I was referring to tension rather than compression...

There are such things as polyester-fill pillows. And many of us use it for insulation (as in a polyester-fill sleeping bag).

So maybe polyester (dacron) makes better bedding than climbing ropes.

Doug

Pressie Traverse Friday:

Start at Appalachia at 5:30am

We'll have one car for sure at Crawford Notch. Will meet Peakbagger at the TH north of route 302 road across from the Highland Center at 6:30pm Thursday. If anyone else wants to place a car there see you then :) Peakbagger's pickup has space for three in the cabin and six on the bed.

We also plan to place a car at the Cog Railway around 6:45pm.....preliminary Mountaingirl will place a car there but if anyone else wants to let us know.

I should be rolling in about the same time and can meet you guys and pick up gear & transfer people to Barnes.

My car can transport to TH in AM.

I am expecting to do Jefferson and Adams from Bowman (aka Castle Ravine Trailhead) meeting about 7am or so (Friday.) PM me if if you want to join -- up Castle Trail, down Israel Ridge.

Tim

Last edited:
bikehikeskifish said:
I am expecting to do Jefferson and Adams from Bowman (aka Castle Ravine Trailhead) meeting about 7am or so (Friday.) PM me if if you want to join -- up Castle Trail, down Israel Ridge.
Tim

I bet we'll meet somewhere between Jefferson and Adams. I'm guessing we'll be on Adams by 10am and you are probably in the Jefferson vincinity by then........

Mats

I plan on heading north either tonight or tomorrow early. I may stay in Milan tonight but hope to get over to Barnes sometime this weekend. I will be hiking to Isolation possibly by Glen Boulder and out by Rocky Branch or Davis or Dry River. Likely Rocky Branch to come out, legs are still feeling last Sunday.

Anyone is welcome to join me and help firm up the route plan if interested. It is more likely that I will hike this as an overnight backpack. If I hike Isolation before July 19th it will be my “unofficial” finish of the 48 4K list in under two years. I nulled Cannon by swiss-boobing so I could finish officially there next February on my 48th birthday.

I hope to see you folks on the trail some or at Barnes possibly Saturday. Have a Happy Fourth of July everyone!

Thanks!

Just wanted to thank Mats for organizing this. It was good to have a place to camp Thursday night so that I didn't have to get up at 4am to meet Larry and Tim on our hike up J&A. It was great to meet a few new people and see some people I'm just getting to know. It was also great to meet everyone again at the summit of Jefferson. Great time. Wish I could have stayed Friday and Saturday, maybe next time!

KDT

Thanks for the pix messages Nif! It looked like you guys had a great prez traverse and beautiful weather. It was as if I was there... well, not really, but better than nothing. ;) :D

Will put together atrip report from this weekend the next couple of days.....

It was one of those "never a dull moment" type of weekend :D

A few highlights:

* 14 VFTT dudes and dudettes doing the Pressie Traverse decorated in red, white and blue.....
* McRat delivering 264 ice cream sandwiches along the Southern Presidentials sporting a big American flag
* The evenings at Barens Field with no shortage of laughter, food, beverages and Unfrozen Caveman and Marc Howes feeding the fire.....thanks Unfrozen for bringing an overloaded truck of firewood :)
* The rock climbing, swimming, running, bushwalking....
* Ed Hawkins delivering PBR to our coolers.....just too bad we weren't back from the pressie to congratulate him on his 50th round of the 48 :eek: :eek: :eek:
* Sunday hiking....thanks to Gillian persuading us :)

Stay tuned.....