June 10 - Donaldson & Emmons (Seward Range)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALGonquin Bob

Reaction score
I guess since I hiked up peak #44 last weekend, it's safe to start thinking about peaks #45 and 46. I hope to become an ADK 46-R when I hike up Donaldson and Emmons on June 10th. Yes, it's a weekday.

The original 46-Rs were Herbert Clark (as in Herbert Brook), and George & Robert Marshall (as in Mount Marshall). They summited Mount Emmons on June 10, 1925 to become 46-rs number 1,2 and 3.

Last year, I set that date as a goal for my peak #46, and I'm still on schedule. So YOU'RE ALL INVITED to hike with me and help me celebrate on Mt. Emmons. This will be a long day hike via Calkins Brook, from Coreys Road (Tupper-Saranac area).

I plan to be base camping at Rollins Pond state campground (Fish Creek/Upper Saranac region) from June 9-12. I may also bring my canoe with me, and do some paddling. I might hike another (easier and lower) peak that week as well. Anyone who wants to join us in any of these hikes or easy paddle trips is welcome. -Bob (ALG)

Last edited:
Bob, I would if I could... but I can't!

Great job with the planning and endurance. Congrats a bit early, I know you'll pull it off. I'm not familiar with Rollins Ponds SP.

I just got back from "Seymour". I hiked with Emily from adkforum, and we made it from the summer trailhead to the summit in about 4 hours. Great day hiking, and #38 down. I'll be hiking either basin/haystack or couchie next weekend. I'm still on pace for the 10th. See you there.

best wishes

Hi ALG!

Best wishes on the hike. It should be pretty easy compared to the last time we all were in that range. I'm sure blackflies can't be as bad as the soft snow and difficult herd path the last time.

Just to give you an update, Kelly and I finished our 46 this past Saturday on Haystack! We also got engaged to be married! Hiking in the ADK's over the past year with her has been amazing. We're both excited for what lies ahead in marriage.

Again, have a great hike on the 10th!
Mark

I would like to wish you both the very best and a big fat congratulations. Finishing the 46 and getting engaged, I'm getting all teary eyed...

MarkandKelly, That's wonderful! Congratulations, I'm so happy for you both... 46-Rs!!! And congratulations on your engagement too! But seriously folks, hiking the 46 in 12 months is a terrific accomplishment. And for you both to do it together must have been a great bonding experience (well, most of the time anyway). Good luck. Hey! Are we all going to be invited to the wedding? Will it be on the top of Haystack? Just kidding, but do let us know when the big day is. Keep on having fun -Bob (ALG)

I may be available that weekend. I climbed Seward last November and was beaten back by the ice. So I'm game for Donaldson, Edmonds and even Seymor. I'll be in touch later as the date approaches.
Hi Hillman, remember we climbed Allen together.

June 10

I have a few people interested, and there will definitely be at least 4 of us doing this climb on June 10th. Some of us are camping at Rollins Pond (near Upper Saranac Lake). If you want to camp with us, you can make reservations through Reserve America. I'm on site #37 from June 9-12. If you can stay a couple days, bring your canoe or kayak, and we'll do some paddling, too. -ALG

http://www.reserveamerica.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/usa/ny/roll/newindex.html

Bob, Good luck on you climb - I used to maintain the No 4 Leanto's on the Ward Brook Truck Trail and I really miss tgetting back into that area.

Mark & Kelly Congratulations. I also got engaged on my 46th peak, I proposed to my wife on Big Slide - A number of friends came up with us for the typical Champagne celebration, but my wife had no idea it was coming.
The joke after that was that is is all downhill from here - But does that mean it is good or bad?

Count me in, I'm a definate.I've already climbed Seward but need Donaldson & Emmons. I also need seymour, I may try that 6/11/04.
Do you know of any way to bushwack across to Seymour from Donaldson/Emons trail?

what time do you plan to stat the hike????

i may just take a day off on thrusday and get these mtns. I would most likely drive up on Wednesday and camp at the trail head....

i will probably do these mtns. and then go over seward and try for seymour.

hope to get the day off from work and see you guys up there....

I'm also camping at the trailhead. If you guys are getting ready to hike and I'm not out of my car yet(blue subaru)--Kick it a few times to wake me up. If I get there before dark, I might sleep in my hammock near the hitching post camp spot across from the register. Alistair--I definitely remember you as the guy that kicked my butt hiking. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Snickers

Hillman,
Remember you owe me a Snickers bar!!!!
See you about 2am Thursday morning.

We have maybe 9 for the hike. We hope to start on the trail at 6:00 Thursday morning. There will be a couple folks car camping at the trailhead on Coreys Road - the rest of us will be coming from Rollins Pond state campground. Can I bring anything for you car campers? See ya'! -Bob (ALG)

P.S. Hillman1 may also be in position to get his 46th on Emmons. Thursday... we CELEBRATE!

Weather's on your side!
Thursday
Partly sunny in the morning...then clearing. Highs in the mid
60s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.
Thursday Night
Mostly clear. Lows in the mid 40s.
Friday
Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s.

Sorry I'll miss a fun hike and the celebration... Bob, we'll have to get the WNY VFTT'rs chapter together to honor you!!

Bob,

Good luck to you and all the rest in the Sewards on Thursday! Wish I could be there with you. I got Couchsachraga this past weekend but not Santinoni. So back up I go this coming weekend and then Garen and Kevin and I will finish on Allen July 17 or 18. Let me know if you want to join us on that climb.

Celebration will be in order!

Happy and safe climbing,

Fred

Thanks to all for the good wishes. I guess I'd better get up there now! No bivying on this hike. Report to follow next week.

Fred, that's 5 attempts at the Santanonis? Ha! I did them in "just" 4! I'll check my schedule to see if I can do Allen in July.

-ALG