Keeping Score - Learning How To Count

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This "rule" that a hike, to signify anything, must start and end within the arbitrary 24-hour period marked by 12:00 a.m. demonstrates yet again society's disdain for those of us who prefer to or, perhaps, must confine our hiking to that time between the setting and the rising of - that infernal orb.
Funny!

I don't really think we are likely to limit our hiking to daylight hours. Being above the treeline after dark can be a very special time with great views to surrounding towns, and straight up. Night hiking in winter is a real treat.

I don't feel that a hike "must start and end within the arbitrary 24-hour period marked by 12:00 a.m.". I'm just interested in learning the general opinion on score-keeping when it doesn't.

I think this has been previously discussed here and elsewhere

Certainly you record the summit on the date you were there, but it would not be unusual to reach the same summit more than once on a trip. Do you record it more than once?

If for some reason you are trying to count the number of dates you have stood on the summit, then you should record each date. If you are trying to record the number of hikes to the summit, you should (IMHO) record only one date of your choice.
Sorry for being redundant, I must have missed something.

My only interest is a single credit per peak per hike. I know folks often joke about double credit for Field on a Willey Range loop from C-Notch, but that's always a joke. I think.:rolleyes:

I'm sure there are many similar situations, especially when backpacking is brought into the discussion.

Last edited:
Mohamed Ellozy said:
I have stood on the summit of every NH 4K in calendar winter, but have not applied for the patch.

Then you should apply for -- and proudly wear -- the patch!

(Unless you took a snow machine or Sno-Cat part of the way, which we know you didn't.)

Mohamed Ellozy said:
He replied that there was no rule about assistance, and that there were several completers who, because of back or other problems, always had someone else carry their pack.

IIRC, the "game" is about hiking, not load-carrying, yes? Heck, not everybody even carries a pack! Who gives a flip about what you did with your pack, what you ate/drank and who gave it to you? :rolleyes:

If YOU, using only your own two feet, got yourself to the summit of all NH48 peaks in winter, then you damned well earned the patch!

(Not to mention the respect of a lot of us NH48W wanna-be's...) :D

Think, then make your own decision.
Let me get personal.

I have stood on the summit of every NH 4K in calendar winter, but have not applied for the patch.

Our group believed that the rules included something along the lines of "... with no assistance."

By our definition the peak did not count;
At the end of that email, however, he said that ultimately what mattered was what I thought was right.

I wanted that patch ... but deep inside me I felt that I had not earned it. I am too old and unfit to have a reasonable chance of doing Bond again in winter (I have bagged Bondcliff and West Bond on other trips). So I will live without that patch.

Good points and enjoyed reading the trip report; It's clear you met the requirements for the W48 as written by the FTFC but I completely understand your need to complete the list on your own terms/rules. IMO, once you've met the written requirements, all that matters are the personal goals you then set in addition to those.

In a similar way, my AT thru-hike partner and I had to skip a 2 mile section of the trail in Shenandoah because it was on fire. We both came back the following year to walk that short section of trail. We already had met the 2000-miler requirements to the letter (you get a free pass for sections on fire...) but didn't feel like we had accomplished what we set out to do until we had actually walked the whole trail.

No one would fault you for applying for that patch as it stands, but if you want to take another shot at it for your own satisfaction, I'm planning at least one attempt on West Bond this coming winter to finish my W48, possibly with an overnight. You're more than welcome. You can't change age, but fitness level is another story...

To address the opening question of the thread, Big Earl, it sounds like you've gotten plenty of good discussion here already but FWIW, my thought would be for the 12x48, since there's no governing body, I would take the date at the time I stood on the summit.

Uh, you did the winter 48, Mo!

1. I can't see why you don't qualify for the patch. You hiked them all on your own feet, no bikes, no gondolas, no off road vehicles. It doesn't matter whether some were more difficult than others. We've all had some hikes that wiped us out, but we still count them!

2. As far as dates, I think the date you are DONE with the hike, back to the trailhead, is the date of the hike. Seems pretty simple. So if it carries overnight, the hike is dated Day 2.

...The logic that says a hike must start and end within the period for which it is being recorded for credit seems to make sense...assuming all other rules of the game are respected.

Hmmm....

Still :confused:

Sure am glad I don't have to tell Sue that she has to repeat all those peaks :D

Make up your own rules and start your own list!

If 75% of the hike was on X and 25% was on Y...

Or if 25% was an awesome hike but 75% was torture...

For me, winter hikes started after one solstice and ended before another. Fairly cut and dry.

Hike your own hike!

;)

I like to think of Geneva's attitude, if we are hiking, it is a good day, if we aren't...

Sure am glad I don't have to tell Sue that she has to repeat all those peaks :D
???? I don't understand the comment, please explain.

Make up your own rules and start your own list!
Not interested in coming up with anything new. I'm only interested in generally understanding what's out there now.

Perhaps there isn't a simple answer.

Viesturs' rule

A hiking friend reminded me of Viesturs (and others') rule on hiking/mountaineering:

"Getting to the top is optional, coming back down is mandatory,"

which would of course argue that the hike isn't done or accounted for until one has safely descended. Which sure makes sense to me....

Anyway, an interesting debate.... ;)