Keeping the bugs away

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAR-EMT40

Reaction score
OK, here it is the results of my very unscientific use of Picaridin during the last week. Three of us used it on two different times and went out for short day hikes. Didn't use any bug spray until we actually started to get bitten. Lucky us, we were being eaten by both black flies and mosquitoes. I can tell you that it made a very definite difference in the abuse we were subjected to. After application I saw only one bite on the three of us on two different occassions. This was a significant decrease in the amount of bites we were receiving just before application. These were short term "tests" only lasting about an hour or so. I am not ready to give up my DEET just yet but it does appear that this looks promising. I have no religious or medical objections to DEET so I will still carry and us it if the Picaridin doesn't work, but anyone who cannot or refuses to use DEET may want to look at this.

By the way, the clouds of black flies and mosquitoes were still whirliing around us but they weren't landing. My wife did manage to inhale a few though. :D

Keith

And let me point out again that it was Waumbek's earlier post that turned me on to the stuff. I had never heard of it until then.

Just as an aside I picked it up at Ragged mountain in Intervale. I don't know if everyone (read EMS) has it.

Standard disclaimers apply. :D

Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
By the way, the clouds of black flies and mosquitoes were still whirliing around us but they weren't landing. My wife did manage to inhale a few though.
Protein.
Slurp.

BTW, I think REI carries picaridin.

Doug

Last edited:
As far as swallowing flies (or any kind of bug) - head net - the only way to go!

You can pick one up at W*lm*rt for next to nothing and it weighs next to nothing as well. I've never had any problems with additional heat and wearing it over a cap the peak holds it off the face.

A bucket hat, or anything with an all around brim, would be ideal as a skeeter can still get you if the netting lies against the skin.

I find my usage is much like that of crampons and snowshoes in the winter. When I finally put them on it's like, "Why the h*ll didn't I do that thirty minutes ago!" :)

Bob

HikerBob said:
As far as swallowing flies (or any kind of bug) - head net - the only way to go!

You can pick one up at W*lm*rt for next to nothing and it weighs next to nothing as well. I've never had any problems with additional heat and wearing it over a cap the peak holds it off the face.

A bucket hat, or anything with an all around brim, would be ideal as a skeeter can still get you if the netting lies against the skin.
+1 rep for this suggestion of the hat and the net!
I find my usage is much like that of crampons and snowshoes in the winter. When I finally put them on it's like, "Why the h*ll didn't I do that thirty minutes ago!" :)

Lol! Me too!

HikerBob said:

I have used a head net. My problem with them is the reduction in visual acuity. I remember using it once in southern New Hampshire at a ROGAINE and I couldn't see anything, though my face was remarkably bite free. :D

Keith

Yet another bug "solution"

Picardin is the main ingrediate in new "Off Advanced", which is available in Shaw's supermarlkts, CVS, and almost everywhere else!

As I posted earlier, Picardin did very well against DEET in a Consumer Report test documented in last month's issue.

But...

In this month's issue, CR tests a new bug repellent formula based on lemon-eucalyptis (sp!). It is completly natural and also very effective. Scored as high as DEET and Picardin.

I forget the brand name, but you can find addl info in the latest CR issue.

cb

The permethrin coating in the Ex Officio "Buzz-Off" clothing worked incredibly well against a full-on onslaught of blackflies in Baxter State Park two weekends ago. Kept the skeeters off too. All this on a day when 100% deet had no discernable effect... ;)

ChrisB said:
In this month's issue, CR tests a new bug repellent formula based on lemon-eucalyptis (sp!). It is completly natural and also very effective. Scored as high as DEET and Picardin.
I think someone posted about the lemon product recently - don't bears find this attractive? If anyone remembers please post...Nothing like a bear bite to make you long for the black fly bite! :D