Kelty Noah's Tarp, fly alternatives ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I'm looking at a Kelty Noah's Tarp 10x10 at 1lb6oz to carry instead of a rain fly on my 2 tents. Is there something else I should consider ?

Kelty_Noahs_Tarp.jpg

I have the 12 x 12 Noah's Tarp. These days I use for 3 person tarp/ bivy camping or as an addition to a car camp set up often as an adjunct to a rain fly on a tent. The photo you post shows it pitched at it's best- since it's a shaped tarp tying to get creative with pitching always seems to produce a sag somewhere. You might want to look at the silnylon campmor rectangular tarp. Lighter, more flexible in it's pitching and about the same price.

HI Chip,
I used to use regular square tarps quite a bit and always carried one back when I use to do stuff with groups of folks, and could string up a tarp pretty quick over clients when the weather turned harsh. I decided to pickup a Noah's 9 on a pro-deal and used it for a few trips before I went back to my Plain 8x10 tarp for personal use.

I didn't really find the Noah's eaiser to set up. However, what I found was the easiest setup was to either tie of the front to a tree or use a hiking stick to keep it high, and stake the rear opposite corner to the ground, and stake our the sides with a bit of rope, a foot or so off the ground.

The other way I staked it out is similiar to the picture except I use trees and a rope. I would run a line (rope) between 2 trees and hang the tarp over the line so that there was one half on each side and the tarp was positioned diagonally so that 2 corners could be tied to the rope (and not slide in on the rope). I then staked out the other 2 corners off the ground.

It seemed to always take longer to set up the Noah then to set up my square 8x10 tarp, or later, my betamid.
Good Luck
Rick

I have a Noahs 9 that I use along with my bivy all the time. I carry it with four bungee cords and can set it up in about a minute in most situations. I had it set up at 13 Falls this past weekend and had a few people check it out and ask about it.