Knee problems

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd give the glucosimine a try, it was the only thing that worked for me. I'll share this tidbit also. I went to see a sports ortho doc with a great reputation, an runnerr that also treats some of the Boston pro athletes. He told me that I would eventually need surgery on both knees, but that it would be in my best interests to put it off as long as possible. His reason was that I am still mobile, and they are making new strides in joint surgery every year. I also went to a sports rehab center where they stressed yoga, stretching and strength conditioning for my knee area. He was the also the one that started me on the glucosimine. It's been about 3 years since I have first gone to see him, and yesterday I did a 40 mile ride with only minimal joint pain afterwards.

gluco chon really delivers huh? i've been kicking that idea around for awhile but have not committed. i think i will do some more research on it and determine whether its viable for me.

thanks for your advice bob.

gluco chon really delivers huh?

As stated earlier, I found that it took almost a year before I noticed the effects. The pain in the knees is still there, but it's manageable and I am active again, so I feel it worked for me.

Has anyone else tried knee support straps. Mine are 1-2" wide neophrene straps that wrap around the leg just below the knee. My knees had twinged on previous hikes, and then 2 months ago, I hiked with the group that did the Wapack in one day and by mile 9, I was in severe pain. Wraped the offending leg with an ace bandage and duct tape and managed to finish but was an adventure. Found the support straps in the local drug store and 2 weeks ago was up and down Monadnock in 1 1/2 hours with no pain. Last week was up and down N. Pack Monadnock in 45 minutes and again no pain! Seems to be a cheap solution for me. Curious if anyone else has any experience with this.

I've been impressed with how Glucosamine and Chondroitin have worked for my dog. She's almost 12 years old, and had been hiking and backpacking with me until about a year ago when she started limping. Her mobility got progressively worse until I started giving her Glucosamine and Chondroitin tablets. Her food (Science Diet Senior) contained some G & C, but obviously not enough.

She won't be going on long hikes with me, but she's gone from struggling to do 1/2 mile walks to managing 2.5 mile trips. I can't imagine how there could be any placebo effect here. It's definitely worth a try.

Quietman,
I have never used the straps that you refered to but I do use an adjustable black knee brace (also found in drug stores-- $15.), I think it basically works the same way by keeping the knee stabilized.

A few years ago,for some reason my right knee would always bother me a bit, mostly while ascending.
I made three changes:

1. I worked on strengthening my knees/legs (with exercises but esp. w/ the Nordic Trak Elliptical Trainer)

2. Started using trekking poles !!!

3. Used the adjustable knee brace {adjsutable is great because you can take it off /put it on w/out removing your boots!}

Now my knee no longer bothers me AT ALL!