knife for hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't carry any of the multi tools, used to, but their overkill and the uses to weight ratio is too high. There aren't a lot of screws in the wild.

I have a Camillus, Army pocket knife with a 3" blade. It also has a can opener, a bottle opener/screwdriver and a awl. That's about all I need, It's worked well for a lot of years.

Great input. My dilemma is that I like the idea of going light and of having pliers to fix bindings, two contradictory goals. Perhaps the P-4 is the best option for me (but it lacks scissors, alas). Or always carry a small knife and add the P-4 only when I need it. Anyway, you've given me and others a lot to think about.

Chip said:
I used to carry something like this, until I realized it was a bit much :eek: .
Lol, I too carried this a couple times (hey, I was a Rambo fan when I was a kid! Yes, I was still a kid then) before realizing that it was just probably scaring other folks having that thing strapped to my leg :D

Guilty as charged. I went the woods with one of those a couple times, but that PRE-Rambo.

That's better then the Maroon that carried the sword a few years back.

I agree with Sleepy Bear

In the warmer weather I take a Swiss Army Classic. In the winter, becasues the risk is higher, I take a Leatherman.

I carry the Swiss Army Trekker Knife. It has a locking serrated main blade and a wood saw, can opener and screwdrivers, oh, and a bottle opener in case you get trapped in your motel with some long-necked bottles.

Kevin

I like my Leatherman Wave, but often bring a small folding Buck with blade and scissors as my priority when going light.

What gets used on my Wave?

Pliers for stove repairs, other peoples trekking poles, pulling nylon webbing back through ski pole handle slots, cutting paper clip/ safety pin pieces to repair friends glasses, zipper repairs.

Scissors trim annoying toe or finger nail issues, cut flaps of skin from blisters, trim bandages, cut wads of bunched duct tape, trim frayed nylon strands away from zippers.

Saw for reducing those bendy softwood branches that don't like to break that I'm using for whatever. I always think along those lines when considering how I would fashion a traction splint and need the perfect length pole, same thinking if needed for a "crutch".

Screwdriver for XC bindings, stove repair, and the little flat driver is my favorite hole-punch.

Blade for cutting cord and various other stuff.

I carry a single-edge razor blade. It was just the right thing for cutting Mats snowshoes off going down the Flume slide, super-sharp and small. :D

I haven't tried to skin any bears with it yet.

I just saw an ad for a Whittaker model by Buck that looked pretty handy. Would like to see it in person before making a purchase, but like to carry a few tools with me, especially in winter when possibly needing to make adjustments to broken crampons.