Kombucha

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way law is written anyone can put a lot of useless or harmful pills in a bottle, lable it with a lot of disclaimers not to use it internally or externally, and sell a book/tract/pamphlet right next to it that can list fictitious and erronious claims to anything one wants. The book is protected by the first amendment and the pills claim nothing. The patient thinks they are doing real research. I deal with at least a person a month that admits taking "Volcano Water", "Shiitake Mushrooms", "Shark Skin", etc. the list is getting pretty long.

"There's a sucker born every minute." - P.T. Barnum

Caveat emptor

Last edited:
It's just fermented sweet tea.

Folks, I've read all this stuff on the internet.

Who has has drinken this stuff and what do you think of it?

Last edited:
It's juust fermented sweet tea.

Folks, I've read all this stuff on the internet.

Who has has drinken this stuff and what do you think of it?

gaiagirl said:
Not only can I not keep it down, but I've had some very adverse reactions the only 2 times I've tried it. I understand others have had similar issues. I recall something in the news recently about related health concerns, perhaps having to do with folks with allergies unknown to them, though I can't recall specifically. IMHO, don't bother ...

I would not trust my opinion of the stuff, but I would trust hers.

<edit> I read the CDC report and it sounds like they investigated the possibility that the tea caused these deaths but didn't find a direct link? Although it does sound as though both people drank homebrewed tea.

The mushrooms used by both women were derived from the same parent mushroom. At least 115 additional persons in the town had used or were using mushrooms from the same source as for the two ill women, but no other cases of unexplained acute illness were reported among these persons. A review of hospital emergency department records for March 1-April 10 did not detect other cases of unexplained lactic acidosis or other likely cases of tea-associated acute illness.

Samples of the mushrooms and samples of the tea consumed by both case-patients were sent to FDA for analysis. Microbiologic analysis of the tea and mushrooms identified several species of yeast and bacteria, including Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Candida valida. No known human pathogens or toxin-producing organisms were identified. The alcohol content of the tea ranged from 0.7% to 1.3%; no methanol was detected.

However, there is probably some validity to the claim of Dr Weil that drinking Kombucha (and eating many raw and fermented foods in general) carries a risk of fungal infection/overgrowth to those with compromised immune systems. However, eating a diet rich in in whole and raw foods may confer more health benefits than risks...just saying'.

Little Ricky, I honestly think that VfTT is not the best forum for your question. Perhaps a Raw Food Forum??

I've probably consumed about 2 gallons of Synergy Kombucha purchased through Whole Foods Market and Hannaford in 2011. While I cannot say that I've improved my health by drinking it, I certainly haven't suffered any deleterious effects, except maybe a small dent in my wallet. Now that I've read how its produced in the CDC report, I might think twice. ;-)

Personally, I think of Kombucha as just a lactose free, designer raw food probiotic. Anyone who is grossed out by Kombucha might want to consider what they are consuming when they eat CHEESE. ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrolichus_casei

Last edited:
I've just always been a fan of eating a balanced diet without over eating and getting plenty of exercise. Maybe all those fancy whole this and natural that helps any more than plain old fruits, veggies, grains, starches and a mix of various meats but I'll stay with the simplicity. Dad died of an anurism at 85 after spending the day working in the yard. I'm in my 50s and consider myself in pretty good shape.

I'd say the key is eating reasonably and doing something active every day. You can keep your supplements.

Last edited:
<edit> I read the CDC report and it sounds like they investigated the possibility that the tea caused these deaths but didn't find a direct link?

I didn't take the report as negative.

I've probably consumed about 2 gallons of Synergy Kombucha purchased through Whole Foods Market and Hannaford in 2011. While I cannot say that I've improved my health by drinking it, I certainly haven't suffered any deleterious effects, except maybe a small dent in my wallet. Now that I've read how its produced in the CDC report, I might think twice. ;-)

Personally, I think of Kombucha as just a lactose free, designer raw food probiotic.

Now that's the type of the type of post I'm looking for! Thanks

Little Ricky, I honestly think that VfTT is not the best forum for your question. Perhaps a Raw Food Forum??

I pretty much know what to expect from a raw food forum. I was wondering with all these health conscious hikers/climbers if there is anyone with experience with the stuff. Not opinion, like that can be stopped on any forum :rolleyes::), but personal experience.

I tried to drink it several time and I just can't get past the sour taste. I've brewed several way and it still comes out the same...yuck. So much for a healthy beverage.

I heard if a man drinks two alcoholic beverages a day he cuts his heart attack chance by half...so I drink 4.