Leki, Probably as good as you'll find.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the thread I was looking for - my Leki poles are shot....on one pole, the lower section actually has a split in the metal, and on the middle section, there is so much pitting that I can't lower it from within the top section. I sent my email, received a call, but was told this isn't covered by their warranty, and I could buy a new pair if I wanted. Not sure why everyone thinks this is such a good company - I was pretty disappointed, and probably won't replace them with Leki's.

Any other good recommendations?

After my Lekis died this past summer, I bought these and am very impressed so far. Seem to be extremely strong, and don't weigh more than a couple of ounces more than my ultralight Lekis. Flicklock is nice, particularly in the winter.

Tons of reviews available on gear sites.

BD Spire Elliptic

After my Lekis died this past summer, I bought these and am very impressed so far. Seem to be extremely strong, and don't weigh more than a couple of ounces more than my ultralight Lekis. Flicklock is nice, particularly in the winter.

Tons of reviews available on gear sites.

BD Spire Elliptic

Thanks! I've wondered about the FlickLock - must be easier to use with gloves on.

This is the thread I was looking for - my Leki poles are shot....on one pole, the lower section actually has a split in the metal, and on the middle section, there is so much pitting that I can't lower it from within the top section. I sent my email, received a call, but was told this isn't covered by their warranty, and I could buy a new pair if I wanted. Not sure why everyone thinks this is such a good company - I was pretty disappointed, and probably won't replace them with Leki's.

Any other good recommendations?

Scott,

After putting up with the joint-loosening of my Leki Super Malaku poles for years--but getting free replacement sections several times--I decided I had had enough of their poor design.

In November when EMS had one of their 20% off sales, I bought a pair of Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork poles, which are round with flick-locks clamps and carbon fiber material in all three sections. I have put them to a lot of use since, and couldn't be happier with the product.

They do not have the same guarantee, one year I think, but they do not have the dangerous and annoying loosening problem inherent in the Lekis.

One advantage for winter--when carrying the poles in one's hand when walking, they are not cold like the metal poles. They also are much shorter, 25" vs. 29", when collapsed and put on my pack (don't catch on branches and flick snow down my neck...). And they are the lightweight leaders at about one pound total.

So far, I am a very satisfied (and very picky) customer.

Scott,

After putting up with the joint-loosening of my Leki Super Malaku poles for years--but getting free replacement sections several times--I decided I had had enough of their poor design.

In November when EMS had one of their 20% off sales, I bought a pair of Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork poles, which are round with flick-locks clamps and carbon fiber material in all three sections. I have put them to a lot of use since, and couldn't be happier with the product.

They do not have the same guarantee, one year I think, but they do not have the dangerous and annoying loosening problem inherent in the Lekis.

One advantage for winter--when carrying the poles in one's hand when walking, they are not cold like the metal poles. They also are much shorter, 25" vs. 29", when collapsed and put on my pack (don't catch on branches and flick snow down my neck...). And they are the lightweight leaders at about one pound total.

So far, I am a very satisfied (and very picky) customer.

Thanks Joe -

Quick question - you mentioned yours are round, and I think Rebecca's are the elliptical model...does anyone think there's an advantage or difference? or is it more marketing hype than anything?

Thanks Joe -

Quick question - you mentioned yours are round, and I think Rebecca's are the elliptical model...does anyone think there's an advantage or difference? or is it more marketing hype than anything?

I love the flicklock design but I didn't like the elliptical model at all. On this model, the top extension used the flicklock mechanism but the bottom one used a different mechanism that was difficult to engage for me (and likely impossible with cold fingers in the winter). I took the elliptical model back and exchanged them for the round model and have been very happy ever since.

Lesson learned: Do not do this. I used my Leki poles in a sloppy slushy rain/snow mess. Then along the final flat mile of the hike, I telescoped them, strapped them to my pack, and didn't use the poles again for a month or two. So they sat for about two months telescoped after having been thoroughly soaked. Fast forward to the next time I used them: all the moving parts were no longer moving. I took them completely COMPLETELY apart and washed and scrubbed every peice. Managed to save one of them; the other one is still a work in progress. Lots of corrosion and pitting and battery acid type residue.

My fault totally. I will NOT call/email Leki and try to squeeze something out of them. I know a few people who abuse the generous customer service policy of outdoors companies (not saying anyone here did that), and I try not to do that, because it ultimately ruins it (or at least makes it harder) for people with legit claims of failed gear. I screwed up, so my wallet should take the hit.

Summary:
Leki poles...good.
Letting them sit closed up for two months while wet and dirty...not so good.

I had the same experience with wet Lekis corroding after we had to wade a swollen river. I called the factory and they told me to wire brush the inner tubes. Fortunately my trumpet cleaning brush did the job nicely.
My Lekis have the shock springs installed, and although I weigh 1/2 of Big Earl, they are constantly used to spring my whole weight going downhill to compensate for my back problem. I love them, and they have never "let me down".

Mine were probably in the 'rode hard, put away wet' category as well....but that only explains the pitting, and not the cracked tube.

From what I've heard on the replies, I think I'll use my Christmas REI gift card on the BD Alpine Carbon Cork ones....thanks for the advice everyone.

Mine were probably in the 'rode hard, put away wet' category as well....but that only explains the pitting, and not the cracked tube.
Lekis work perfectly well if you do an occasional cleaning and lubrication of the expansion screw/nut assembly. (Just a tiny dab of silicone grease on the threads will do.) I have a 30 year old 2-section pair and a 15-20 year old 3-section pair. Both are doing fine...

(Obviously simple maintenance will not cure a cracked tube. If poles were 100% unbreakable, they would be too heavy to carry.)

BTW, Leki sells a wire brush kit, but any long-thin brush will do. It is mostly to get grit and any corrosion out.

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks Joe -

I looked over the BD line, wanting to try something different from Leki, and couldn't really decide between the elliptical vs. the carbon. Both sounded OK. So I just thought I would try the carbon.

I need to join the "Thank you, Leki!" chorus. I bent a pole coming down Carter-Moriah from Carter Dome, and Melanie sent me two replacement sections. Then I slipped at just the wrong moment going up Liberty Springs in November, and bent the middle replacement section - Melanie has promised a rereplacement.

One question: is Melanie the only person working in Leki customer service, or is it a corporate handle? (i.e. everyone answers their email "Melanie"?)

Willoughby

Agreed. It's good PR and good for business. My guess is they end up replacing but a fraction of all the poles they sell, and a sterling reputation is hard to build.

Reminds me of Toyota who is offering to buy back certain Tacomas at 1.5 times high book and offer other incentives as well. That will cost them something in the short term, but the longterm benefits will likely far outweigh them. Leki is German and Toyota Japanese - maybe there's a message in there for American companies?
/off soapbox.

Replying to an old entry but....

There's a certain company in Freeport, Maine, USA that has had a bit of a generous return policy for about 98 years now. :D

Lekis work perfectly well if you do an occasional cleaning and lubrication of the expansion screw/nut assembly. (Just a tiny dab of silicone grease on the threads will do.) I have a 30 year old 2-section pair and a 15-20 year old 3-section pair. Both are doing fine...

(Obviously simple maintenance will not cure a cracked tube. If poles were 100% unbreakable, they would be too heavy to carry.)

BTW, Leki sells a wire brush kit, but any long-thin brush will do. It is mostly to get grit and any corrosion out.

Doug

Right on, Doug,

A little maintenance goes a long way for lots of things. After every hike I separate the sections, wipe them down, and leave them apart to completely dry between hikes. If the expansion nuts show signs of stiffness I use Doug's approach; remove the expansion nuts, clean the threads with a small wire brush, and apply a little lubrication on the threads - not too much or there will be other problems.

On the other hand a lack of maintenance can reduce a very good product to a pile of junk in no time at all. That's not the fault of the product or the responsibility of the manufacturer. :rolleyes:

Lekis work perfectly well if you do an occasional cleaning and lubrication of the expansion screw/nut assembly. (Just a tiny dab of silicone grease on the threads will do.)
Perhaps this is as good a place as any to note that Leki sells replacement expansion nuts: http://www.rei.com/search?query=leki+expander&button.x=0&button.y=0

They also sell replacement baskets and tips. http://www.rei.com/search?query=Leki+basket+tip&button.x=0&button.y=0

Aluminum will corrode if left wet and dirty*. Titanium is generally lighter and more corrosion resistant, but more expensive. Aluminum bends before breaking but a bent pole may still get you home. Fiberglass** and carbon tend to shatter and become useless. (I have seen a suggestion that nicks can significantly weaken carbon.) Broken bamboo can sometimes be taped. Take yer choice...

* Salt water can be particularly hard on aluminum.
** I have helped splint a friend's broken fiberglass pole with rigid aluminum tent poles.

Doug