Liberty/Flume Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday a friend was visiting, so we had two cars. Decided to do a Liberty/Flume traverse, up Liberty Spring and down Osseo. An absolutely delightful hike. Stream crossing was very easy (seems that the rocks have been rearranged??), above stream we had a challenging workout to the ridge. First installment of lunch on summit of Liberty. Then across the ridge to Flume and second installment of lunch. Down the ladders to the downlook and thirdn (and final!) installment of lunch. The Osseo Trail is one of the very nicest descents in the Whites.

Excellent views from both summits and the downlook ... lots of yellows but several patches of bright red on the slopes on the Bonds.

Hi Mohamed

Sounds like a great time, Liberty and Flume are great peaks. You said you went down Osseo...how did The East Branch look...with new damage from Irene, and I assume the bridge to the parking lot is open?

Mohamed, I hope that I can safely assume the Osseo is in good condition? I know the lower half is in good shape because it got worked on shortly after the storms rolled through. We are heading up soon to focus on the upper half (above the Downlook).

...how did The East Branch look...with new damage from Irene, and I assume the bridge to the parking lot is open?
Lots of areas on the banks washed out, including one section of the trail that is taped off (but you still can pass). The bridge is closed, but there is a bypass using the road bridge (pedestrian path separate from road).

Mohamed, I hope that I can safely assume the Osseo is in good condition? I know the lower half is in good shape because it got worked on shortly after the storms rolled through. We are heading up soon to focus on the upper half (above the Downlook).
Excellent condition top to bottom!!

Great day on the ridge, eh Mohammed?

how did The East Branch look...with new damage from Irene
Lots of areas on the banks washed out...

And whole trees strewn around the riverbed like "pick-up-sticks." Saw a couple pines that must have been 18-24 inches at the base, pretty amazing.

I came down Osseo to Lincoln Woods yesterday and I'll second that Osseo is lookin' good. I also noticed the remnants of the narrow gauge rail ties in the soil on Osseo, interesting. Also, this peculiar note left on a rock in the trail.... ??. No way we were "going back," as we had started at the Cannon tram lot!! :)

Last edited:
noticed the remnants of the narrow gauge rail ties in the soil on Osseo, interesting
I take it you mean, mostly, the dark "bars" going crosswise against the generally lighter soil? Are these stains from the tar leaching out of the ties? I saw no trace of the ties themselves, no pieces of wood at all, just those stains.

I take it you mean, mostly, the dark "bars" going crosswise against the generally lighter soil? Are these stains from the tar leaching out of the ties? I saw no trace of the ties themselves, no pieces of wood at all, just those stains.

Exactly. Those "remnants," whatever they may be. :)