Longest Time Completing the 48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hogabum

Reaction score
Well,

There is a really good possibility if all goes well this weekend that I will be finishing my White Mountain 4000 footers . With all the talk lately about people doing in it shortest amount of time etc. I was wondering if there is a record for the longest because it just might be me.

I started in 1968 doing Cannon with my older brother while camping at Lafayette with our parents.

So if everything works I could be done on Saturday having done them all in 37 years.

So What do you think?

Congratulations when you finish.

But I'm afraid you're not even close. I don't know what the record is, but there was a gentleman at the awards dinner that finished in 2004. He did his first in the 1940's.

It's still an accomplishment that you should be proud of.

Twenty-Five years is the best I can do...

Two years for the second round, though.

Last edited:
33 years so far

I'm in the same ballpark as you. My first hike was a backpack with my senior class to Passaconway/Whiteface in 1972. My 3rd summit was Liberty in 1997. I've now done 33 and hope to complete them this year. If I do, that would make 33 years. Happy to see I'm not the only procrastinator out there.

I don't know about the Whites, but I might have the longevity record for 35 years to the day for completing my Catskill peaks. I don't know if anyone has looked it up. Now I started my Catskill winter peaks on Feb. 11, 1978 and on Feb. 11, 2013, I will be 60 and will finish my Winter peaks 35 years to the day. Now to top it off, my first regular peak was Hunter and my last Winter peak will be Westkill (if all goes well), which were my first and last all season peaks. If I do that, I probably can go into the Guiness book for same length of time for all-season and winter lists. That will be an achievement I hope to accomplish. Now how many people started their winter peaks on the same peak and finished on their final all-season peak? or same length of time for both lists? Be it ADKs, Catskills, Whites or any list both all season and winter season. Just curious. Not that I did it, but did anyone do the same order all the way thru? Now that really is eccentric.

I am seriously going to start a record for finishing these lists according to weight class.

Similar to boxing.

A fastest time to complete a said list for feather weights, light weights, middle weights, and heavy weights.

For the White Mountain 4000-footers, 24 years 363 days (October 8, 1977-October 6, 2002).

For the Adirondack High Peaks, 19 years to the day (July 19, 1983-July 19, 2002).

For the New England Fours and the Northeast 115, 26 years 339 days (October 8, 1977-September 11, 2004).

But last fall it hit me that I actually climbed 114 of the 115 mountains on the 111ers' list from October 4, 1997 to September 20, 2004, so all I need is to re-climb Hunter Mountain on one of my upcoming vacations (which I plan to do) and I'll have the complete list in less than eight years. (It's already been reported, I have my certificate and patch, so that's just for my own interest. I'm not cheating on the official record to make it seem more impressive.)

Adk 46

54 years + or -. My first High Peak was Algonquin with my father and members of the Green Mountain Club, including 46er #49, Roy Buchanan. I don't know now when it will end for me, but it won't be as soon as I had thought. Thirteen to go and at this rate it should take another 21 years or so. What, me hurry?

teejay

Forever

I started in 1948 with Mt Washington and now have 3 left that I never intend to complete as I eschew obfuscation as well as lists. Therefore forever. "be a contra"

This is a record I would love to go for! I'm almost 29 years into it now, having climbed Washington in the fall of 1976. And I've only got the peaks of the Presidential Traverse bagged at this point. So, if I only do one more every three or four years I'm golden.

The hard part would be the waiting between peaks.

Time

If all goes according to the big plan I will have them all done between August of 1999 and October of 2005.

The speed portion of all of this began last August when I became remotivated...at the time I had only completed 7 peaks. Between 8/11 and 10/24/05 I did 11 peaks.
Since 4/30/05 I have done 21 peaks...The final eight await!

Jeff,

What it means is hike in the Gunks, Harriman, Hudson Highlands, Maine, Vermont, Catskills, Adirondacks or anywhere. You can also repeat hikes in different seasons to get a new perspective on the same scene. You are welcome to join me on my two trips which don't include any White Mountain 4,000 footers. There are alot of VFTT that are not in the Whites so take your time and enjoy and you still can get your fix between your every 3rd year peakbagging experience.

askus3 said:
Jeff,

What it means is hike in the Gunks, Harriman, Hudson Highlands, Maine, Vermont, Catskills, Adirondacks or anywhere. You can also repeat hikes in different seasons to get a new perspective on the same scene. You are welcome to join me on my two trips which don't include any White Mountain 4,000 footers. There are alot of VFTT that are not in the Whites so take your time and enjoy and you still can get your fix between your every 3rd year peakbagging experience.

Indeed, there is a NH list called '52 with a View', none of which are 4K's

http://www.mv.com/ipusers/fs/hike/lists/52view.html

Some of them are even peaks that 'Jean' would skip! (< 3K ) :D :D

Yeah, there really is no shortage of mountains that I want to climb!

I was up in the Adirondacks this past weekend, and I was just blown away by hiking up there. Every direction I turned there was another mountain to climb!

I did Round Mountain on Sunday, and the view of Giant was so tempting that I decided to climb that one too. If I lived up there I would just be hiking all the time.