Look quick....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waumbek said:
For the first time in nine days, the clouds lifted today to reveal the local mountains, which are looking not too shabby for late October. The cloud curtain drops again tomorrow for the predictable future.

Not too shabby is right. I think the peaks look whiter today than they did all of last winter (excluding last october) Great shots, thanks for sharing!

Here's a shot of Mt Washington from today Friday 10-27-06 from Square Ledge over by Passaconaway. Very snowy. . .for now. If you do look at the picture, that's a cloud bank in the foreground.

Click here:

I've been out of town and now can't wait to get up and enjoy the snow after seeing your shots!

Waumbek, keep those pictures coming! I'm always watching the webcams for the Lincoln side of the Whites, but your pics are far better.

As for the webcams, I look at Coldwell Banker, Bretton Woods and Loon ski areas. Anybody know any others?

Thanks for posting!

It's been a wild weekend in the western Whites and No. NH generally with heavy rain, high water, and high winds that knocked down many trees and utility poles. Some roads were minefields of "strainer" trees hanging over both lanes and downed wires. Many local communities--Bethlehem, Franconia, Sugar Hill, Dalton, Lancaster, Whitefield, all the way up to Pittsburgh--were without power from Saturday morning until Sunday evening (or later). Now it seems to be winding down with heavy snow so whatever the mountains lost over the weekend will probably re-accumulate tonight. There will be lots of new blowdowns.

October snowfall for Mt Washington now exceeds 39", making it the second snowiest on record. That means nothing about the coming winter, of course, but still impressive.

Last edited:
Waumbek said:
October snowfall for Mt Washington now exceeds 39", making it the second snowiest on record. That means nothing about the coming winter, of course, but still impressive.

The all H___ it does'nt Mister... :eek: It's gonna you know what until it comes out it's wahzooooooooo this year. :D So let's all get stoked for a you know what kind of WINTER! :cool: :eek: :p

Last edited:
158mph wind!

Mt Washington topped out with a 158mph gust early this morning. It was the stongest in over 10 years. In S. NH, my car just missed getting squashed by 2 very large limbs from a neighbor's tree. It was a wild (and noisy) night.

Mt Washington 24 Hr stats

What an amazing 2 weeks in the mountains. There is literally a base now above 3000 feet that may stay the whole winter. Because there was snow all last week, heavy rain, then rapidly falling temps, then heavy snow, the layer is hard and icy. Yesterday and last nights snowfall was also impressive. NWS reported 6 inches at Diamond Pond, 4 inches at Bethlehem (that right?). I can only imagine what some of the Whites got from that. I would think if someone hiked today in places like the Twinway or Presidentials that there would be a widespead foot to three feet in select spots. They have been getting hammered lately. Lets keep our fingers crossed that nothing happens to ruin this. -Mattl

Gee, Waterville looks similar to last year when I hiked up and skied down the last week in October, except there was more snow!

We were scheduled for TriPs, Osceolas and Sandwich. Instead, we did Sandwich on Friday and watched the green rise up and overtake the white, and switched our plan to Hancocks for Saturday. On Saturday, we switched again to Zealand Notch & Hale, but bailed by the time we got there. Everything went from violently blowing snow above Crawford Notch to violently blowing rain below it -- with lightning.

What a show!