Lowell / Anderson / Duck Pond Mtn - 04-07-07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marchowes said:
1) quick glance at the map makes starting sawyer river rd LOOK longer
2) If we are breaking trail, doesn't it make more sense to out and back it to reduce the effort by exiting on the already packed trail?
1) maybe 11.5 miles vs 10 miles (approx. using mapsource)
2) the idea, I think, is that the southern woods are much more open and even though slightly longer in distance, shorter in time under "normal" conditions.

Not sure about point 2 with the trail breaking effort under the actual conditions, as you mentionned... :confused:

Motabobo said:
1) maybe 11.5 miles vs 10 miles (approx. using mapsource)
2) the idea, I think, is that the southern woods are much more open and even though slightly longer in distance, shorter in time under "normal" conditions.

Not sure about point 2 with the trail breaking effort under the actual conditions, as you mentionned... :confused:

Hi Guys! - Yes, Motabobo hit the high points as to why we're doing this hike via the Sawyer River Road.
In addition, our ascent will be more gradual which under less than ideal conditions should make it easier. I also believe the Sawyer River Rd will have a better base to walk on making the first 2 miles 'easier' than the Nancy Pond Trail.
I concede that coming back down a packed out trail would probably be easier, but after all, it's downhill! ;)

See you all tomorrow morning!!