Macomb Slide in winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would presume the avalanche threat in July is virtually nil. :D

I don't recall the slide being overly steep for that long, but having said that, it depends on the snow...

Jay

I don't recall the slide being overly steep for that long, but having said that, it depends on the snow...
Speaking of depending on the snow, it makes a great butt slide if the conditions are right! :D

It doesn't seem like it's steep enough to avalanche, and there is no debris pile at the bottom, so....

Does anyone know the slope degree of the slide? Also, does this slide have avalanche threat? Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Adam

I recall someone writing a TR (somewhere?) about getting caught in a small avalanche on the slide. The remained un-hurt and un-buried but they were swept down a ways.

Any slope within a certain range can avalanche, given the right snow conditions. It's rare, but you don't want to be in it. Macomb slide benefits a little from being basically a rubble slope, as opposed to a smooth slide like some others. The rubble provides a little bit of anchoring.

But it still requires attention to the weather during the few days before your trip, and awareness of conditions in the moment you are actually there.

I would not mind hiking into Slide Brook Lean-to and trying to get a few of the Dixes! I am just throwing out some ideas and getting some info! Bring your GPS Andy I don't want to get lost :D

I think the hike in is a lot longer. The road closes in the winter and the hike starts back where a gate can be closed by a building. That will add 2 miles+?

Someone that knows please correct me.

I've thought of doing the same hike in the winter myself.

Figure about 1.6 to 1.7 miles from the Clear Pond winter barrier to the summer trailhead and just under 4 miles to Slide Brook. Good terrain for a sled.
Although the Macomb slide is about as innocuous as can be in other seasons, a heavy snow load and non-adhesive snow layers are not favorable it has a gradient that can slide in the winter.

I would think any slide has potential avy risk. If it is steep enough for earth and trees to slide off in the right conditions I'm pretty sure snow and ice could come down in the right conditions.

I would think any slide has potential avy risk. If it is steep enough for earth and trees to slide off in the right conditions I'm pretty sure snow and ice could come down in the right conditions.
To put into simple terms: It's a slide.:)

I suppose that if you go up there right after a few feet of snow hits and the conditions under it are just right.... I find the most dangerous thing about winter hiking on that slide is slipping on the ice, and that is unlikely if you wear crampons or mountaineering-type snowshoes with aggressive teeth. In summer, you have to watch out for the occassional loose rock that might roll down from another hiker above you. Overall, the grade of the slide is easy, as slides go, and common conditions there do not present much risk at any time of year.