Make room for a cell phone -- the eleventh essential?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My carrier is Verizon and my hiking partner ADKDREMN has a Singular or AT&T and we can both have a signal but usually only one of the phone works. We only get reception on top of summits anyways so if I break my leg coming down the phone won't even help. :rolleyes:

You can always play the games on it while you wait for rescue.

On our PCT hike this year, we hiked in a loose knit group of 10 of us (on and off) for almost 1,000 miles and I was shocked when I realized that out of the 10 of us, Neighbor and I were the only ones not carrying a cell phone! Most of them just used them in towns to call family, hotels, PO, etc. but a few of the guys were obsessed.....walking down the trail, checking e-mails, only camping in spots where they got service, etc! I was amazed at some of the places where they were picking up service though, just when you think you are in the middle of nowhere! Oh no, they were connected! SPOTs were a popular item for lots of hikers also.

I used to be anti-phone in the woods, but not anymore, they are a useful tool. One guy called USFS from the trail asking if they had a controlled burn going in the area (because the trail was on fire) and in that case, instead of hiking down to the next road (a day away), getting to town and then inquiring about it.....it got the fire crew onto the fire before it got too out of control... phones speed up the process in many cases, whatever form of assistance is needed, they just cut a few steps and lots of otherwise wasted time out of the deal.

I used to be anti-phone in the woods, but not anymore, they are a useful tool. One guy called USFS from the trail asking if they had a controlled burn going in the area (because the trail was on fire) and in that case, instead of hiking down to the next road (a day away), getting to town and then inquiring about it.....it got the fire crew onto the fire before it got too out of control... phones speed up the process in many cases, whatever form of assistance is needed, they just cut a few steps and lots of otherwise wasted time out of the deal.

Just like everything else in life, it's not the tool, it's the user or if you prefer, the abuser.

On our PCT hike this year, we hiked in a loose knit group of 10 of us (on and off) for almost 1,000 miles and I was shocked when I realized that out of the 10 of us, Neighbor and I were the only ones not carrying a cell phone! Most of them just used them in towns to call family, hotels, PO, etc. but a few of the guys were obsessed.....walking down the trail, checking e-mails, only camping in spots where they got service, etc! I was amazed at some of the places where they were picking up service though, just when you think you are in the middle of nowhere! Oh no, they were connected! SPOTs were a popular item for lots of hikers also.

When my brother climbed Gannett in Wyoming for his 49th state high point a few summers ago, about everyone on the summit was shouting into cell phones. He was pretty bummed. But, my view is that the summiteers could have been shouting at one another, so what difference does it make. Same as people yelling at one another in public or kids screaming on planes.

I always carry my cell phone in the Whites, ostensibly not so much for emergencies, but as a time piece and to bug people with my calls from the summits (assuming that there is not someone else on the summit who might be disturbed).

I have found that my A&T (formerly known as Cingular) coverage only extends to about half the NH4 summits, but is exceptionally good in the Waterville area where I have received calls from PVSART dispatch (ex., from the summit of Tecumseh, "yeah, I should be able to get there about the same time as the team" for rescues at the southern end of the Whites).

Hey, if my cell phone is based in CT and I call 911 in NH (just saying :eek:) the call goes to a super-regional 911 operator, right ? So if you do use 911 you have to be very careful and clear regarding where, exactly you are and what the problem is, no ? Don't assume the person who answers is local.

(This looks a job for...Dah DahDah DAHHH...Super Doug Paul :) )

Hey, if my cell phone is based in CT and I call 911 in NH (just saying :eek:) the call goes to a super-regional 911 operator, right ? So if you do use 911 you have to be very careful and clear regarding where, exactly you are and what the problem is, no ? Don't assume the person who answers is local.

(This looks a job for...Dah DahDah DAHHH...Super Doug Paul :) )
Why pick on me??? I didn't do much of anything! :)

A cell phone only has a fairly short maximum range, maybe 20mi or so. (Much less under most conditions.) Thus the phone system can tell the operator where you are to within ~20mi simply by knowing which cell tower you are using. Under certain conditions the system can locate you far more accurately by comparing the signals received at 3 or more towers. It doesn't matter where the 911 operator is located as long as he can contact the appropriate people.

In my case, I told the 911 operator my injuries and location up front. Don't remember if I told her that NH F&G handles rescues in the area, but I'm sure she could have found that without difficulty.

BTW, the 911 operator didn't know what a GPS datum was. (I had initially given my location as "follow this trail and you will run over me..." and later gave my GPS location as a backup.) So if you give GPS coordinates, you may have to carefully specify all info and ask that it passed on to the rescue people in the hope that they will understand it.

Also, don't assume that if you have a GPS-enhanced phone your location will be passed to the 911 operator. From what I have read, many 911 centers are not equipped for that yet.

Doug

Thus the phone system can tell the operator where you are to within ~20mi simply by knowing which cell tower you are using. Under certain conditions the system can locate you far more accurately by comparing the signals received at 3 or more towers. It doesn't matter where the 911 operator is located as long as he can contact the appropriate people.
Maybe you answered this, but if I call 911 from my home the operator knows my local address. If I call 911 in NH with a CT based cell phone, I might be roaming or whatever in NH. Franconia PD didn't answer when I called from the back of Cannon, some operator who didn't seem to know what a Cannon or a Franconia were answered. Only after I had made it EXTREMELY clear where precisely I was (ski area, town, region, state) did the 911 operator seem to have a clue as to how to proceed. Maybe they just make sure you're not a prank call or something, but it didn't seem like that. They contacted Franconia PD who then contacted me (...and drove up to Cannon to find my wife and boys in the closing lodge...:eek:)

Maybe you answered this, but if I call 911 from my home the operator knows my local address. If I call 911 in NH with a CT based cell phone, I might be roaming or whatever in NH. Franconia PD didn't answer when I called from the back of Cannon, some operator who didn't seem to know what a Cannon or a Franconia were answered. Only after I had made it EXTREMELY clear where precisely I was (ski area, town, region, state) did the 911 operator seem to have a clue as to how to proceed. Maybe they just make sure you're not a prank call or something, but it didn't seem like that. They contacted Franconia PD who then contacted me (...and drove up to Cannon to find my wife and boys in the closing lodge...:eek:)
A land-line goes to a fixed and known location. The caller's number is sufficient.

Knowing which cell tower you are connected gives an approximate location as described in my previous post. It is possible that this info is not passed to the 911 operator.

Doug

Maybe Massachusetts is urbanized enough so that there is reasonable cell phone coverage. But in my wanderings in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and the Adirondacks, it seems there are more dead zones than places where I get reception. (And that's just along the highways.)

Maybe Massachusetts is urbanized enough so that there is reasonable cell phone coverage. But in my wanderings in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and the Adirondacks, it seems there are more dead zones than places where I get reception. (And that's just along the highways.)

True enough in the urbanized areas of Mass but the article said "woods" and unless we are talking about the Lynn Woods most of the large forest tracts are in Western Mass. where cell coverage is spotty (a lot like Vermont).

Its not that im against the phones...but they can save yours or others...by getting the call out just minutes sooner can be the difference....other than that i turn mune on at the peak just to take pics as i woulld also with my camera...sometimes i get signal sometimes not...txting would be easier to get out id think if need be..FFT

True enough in the urbanized areas of Mass but the article said "woods" and unless we are talking about the Lynn Woods most of the large forest tracts are in Western Mass. where cell coverage is spotty (a lot like Vermont).
I have done a bit of maintenance along the center 1/3 section of the Mass AT. Cell coverage is available at quite a few spots along the trail.

Doug

I have done a bit of maintenance along the center 1/3 section of the Mass AT. Cell coverage is available at quite a few spots along the trail.

Doug

I would still say the parallel between W. Mass (especially Franklin Cty where I live) and Vt. is pretty apt. My experience trying to get connections in Vt. is very similar to what it's been around here. O.K. up high, much less so down in the valleys. Of course a lot can depend on the carrier. I have used Tracfone and Unicell and not much else.

Glad this thread is here. My contract is expiring and I have Verizon. I am looking at the new BB Storm or the iphone but it is AT&T. Anybody care to share their thoughts of the coverage for each provider on the highways to and around the Whites. Basically are there any advan or disadv with AT&T service. I have seen some discussions elsewhere that seem to suggest AT&T has more drops and a poorer connection than Verizon. My travels bring me from Central Mass to NH
Thanks

Paperweight

I have toted it along on trips to Maine, but very rarely does it work. We usually use it on turnpike on the way home to let people who care know we managed to have a great trip.

My concern with cel phones is like that others who have posted here, I think people will rely on them for rescue, instead of learning how to avoid rescue in the first place.

Here in CA, stories about rescues triggered by cel phones creates, in my mind a false sense of security. I know that in Yosemite, in the high country, there is no service, so anyone thinking there is, will be out of luck. In the local hills (hard to think of them as mountains, but some are), I'd bring it, but in high country, not much point. If I could afford it, I'd get a PLB or sat phone instead. Even a SPOT might be worth it. although it has certain limitations.

My concern with cel phones is like that others who have posted here, I think people will rely on them for rescue, instead of learning how to avoid rescue in the first place.

The problem with that theory is accidents happen to people who are extremely cautious and prepared, even to the point of carrying cell phones.
There will always be the element in society who travel unprepared and who are careless about lots of things in life, yet their cell phones are always "attached at the hip" 24-7. God forbid that they should ever be separated for any reason.:eek: I don't think most give it a second thought that something terrible could happen and they might have to call 911, but rather they cannot bear the thought of missing or making calls to their pals. In fact, I have experienced this first hand while hiking with two friends on two separate occasions. I no longer hike with them. I doubt the battery would have have any life left in it if we did have to call 911.
Would any of us not carry a headlamp because we are absolutely certain that we will not exit the woods after dark. Surprise! We take a wrong turn and are benighted.
The cell phone is not an insurance policy that we will not have an accident anymore than not carrying a headlamp insures that we will be out before sunset, even with the very best of intentions. You could even find yourself with a double whammy, lost or injured with no light and no cell phone to try to call for help.
I would think SAR would rather know sooner than later if someone is lost or injured on the mountain for whatever reason it might have happened. In fact, it might be careless to not carry a CP because their job could be made even more difficult not being able to communicate with you or track you with the "ping". Hopefully, you would have a signal. Those of us who would attempt self-rescue would do it one way or the other, but there will always be those who would not even give it a thought. They would sit on a rock, cry, and hopefully not die.
Accidents happen and if I have one, I think I would rather be able to contact emergency personnel sooner that later. I think they would sooner take a foolish live victim down that someone in a body bag who died because help did not come soon enough. In the Whites, they could always charge you for the rescue if you were not hiking safely.
Just my 2 cents!;)

Last edited:
Glad this thread is here. My contract is expiring and I have Verizon. I am looking at the new BB Storm or the iphone but it is AT&T. Anybody care to share their thoughts of the coverage for each provider on the highways to and around the Whites. Basically are there any advan or disadv with AT&T service. I have seen some discussions elsewhere that seem to suggest AT&T has more drops and a poorer connection than Verizon. My travels bring me from Central Mass to NH
Thanks

I've had a new phone with verizon service for the past couple years and believe it's better than most up there. Older phones don't work as well, supposedly, even with the same service. There was a 1 or 2 week return policy in place when we got ours, so that I was able to check out the coverage before the contract was irrevocable. Find a retailer that will allow you to cancel the contract and then do some hikes with the new service.

We have always had good reception from most mountains we climbed, sometimes annoyingly so, as our daughter will call when we are in a tricky section. I like the thought that if something happened to one of us, and the other had to go for help, we would still be in communication,so we both carry our cell phones.