MEC sleeping bags: Baffled construction?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hi All,
I went camping last Friday and the temperatures were quite cold (-25C, if not slightly colder). During the night, my feet got quite cold. I double checked to make sure my feet were still over my sleeping pads and they were. I had 2 big pair of socks on, both of which were dry and they weren't too tight.

I ended up putting 2 feet warmers on each feet and putting another (third) pair of socks on.

When I got home, I hung my sleeping bag (a -20C from the MEC) upside down as I always do and it seemed that the lower part of the sleeping bag (where the feet would be) didn't have that much insulation in it. I was wondering if anyone had heard of whether the MEC bags had compartments (I believe this is called baffled construction, right?) to hold the insulation in place? I'm starting to think that by hanging it upside down, the down might have made it's way into the torso area and left my feet less insulated.

Cheers!

Fish

Hmm ... it's possible that the down has moved, because even with baffles the threads can break. We use down comforters on our bed and the older ones can shift down if the baffle threads break.

But - you should be able to determine whether the down has shifted in the foot area simply by examining the bag.

sardog1 said:
The baffles can also break loose if the bag is mishandled when it's being washed. The weight of the water-soaked down can easily pull them out. (Yes, I have been there, done that. :eek: )

Hmm, I haven't washed the bag ever since I own it (it's new).

When I felt the feet area, I noticed the thickness of the insulation seemed less loftier than the torso area. I guess I'll just wear my down booties to bed on my next outing and see if this changes anything...

I'll also stop hanging the bag upside down until further notice.

I might go check a new version of my bag and see if the thickness of the insulation in the feet area is the same as my bag.

Fish

MEC Winter Bag

Given that it is a new bag, I suggest you take it into the MEC store in Montreal. I had a similar problem with one of their winter down bag quite some time ago (mid-90's). They were very helpful and replaced the bag. Still have this 'new' bag and it continues to perform.

Note, I use a liner with the bag and wash it rarely and with great care by hand.