Mice and Shelters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh dear...

anybody been to imp shelter recently? how are the mice? are the tent platforms still there? i might reconsider staying there, you dudes are getting me paranoid.... :)

HighHorse said:
anybody been to imp shelter recently? how are the mice? are the tent platforms still there? i might reconsider staying there, you dudes are getting me paranoid.... :)
I'm sure the mice are well-fed and happy.

Neither Hanta virus or bubonic plague is a signifcant risk in this area. Both are primarily found in the southwest (in the USA).

A common method of getting Hanta virus is inhaling the dust from cleaning (sweeping) dry dusty areas where mouse feces and urine are in the dust. So, if you must clean, hose it down.

Similarly, the most common method of getting bubonic plague is from flea bites where the flea has been on an infected animal. So stay away from live and recently dead animals. Don't feed that cute little ground squirrel...

Now if you want a real reason to be scared, think of the risk of driving to the trailhead.

Doug