Monadnock VFTT hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianW

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone would be interested in getting together to hike Monadnock. I know a few of us got together last year and we had a very good hike.

I was thinking either Veterans' Day (a friday) or on Nov. 12th.

I am game for about any time/route.

brianW

I would love to go too. I haven't been up Monadnock in a while but I remember some good rock climbing spots at the peak. Maybe a few of us could bring up some gear and set up some fun climbs. Anyone else interested in this?

We would be interested in doing Nov 12 and/or 13th.
Any interest in camping Sat night?
I could arrange use of the cabin for a gathering if there's interest.

KayakDan, Sounds like an idea. It's slim that I am going, due to the fact I don't have my licence, just yet. This usually falls into the driver's timing which is okay. But as for a cabin it's a great idea for those like myself that couldn't make the Gathering a few weeks back.

sounds like the 12th (november) would be the better day for most.

Last year we went up Red Dot and down White Dot, I do not mind doing that again but am willing to hit some lesser known trails (which I enjoy a lot more)

brianW said:
sounds like the 12th (november) would be the better day for most.

Last year we went up Red Dot and down White Dot, I do not mind doing that again but am willing to hit some lesser known trails (which I enjoy a lot more)

This is pretty close to the route chosen last year. How about a car-spot thru hike? I'd also like to figure out a way to bundle up my son enough to bring him.

-percious

I was either thinking something from the Toll Rd area (many loop options) or go to the north side, maybe spot cars and do Dublin and Pumpelly.

percious said:
This is pretty close to the route chosen last year. How about a car-spot thru hike? I'd also like to figure out a way to bundle up my son enough to bring him.

-percious
I may also bring my 3 y/o if the weather is unseasonably warm.
A nice winding route from the main gate would be: White Dot -> Cascade Link -> Pumpelly -> (Summit) -> White Dot -> Smith Connector -> (Bald Rock) -> Cliff Walk -> Lost Farm -> Parker Trail.
By taking the White Dot off the summit over to Bald Rock, there's an option for some to head straight down if they are fatigued or the weather gets crummy.

Just throwing ideas out there. I've yet to do the pumpelly, so that would be fine with me too.

Smitty

smitty77 said:
I may also bring my 3 y/o if the weather is unseasonably warm.
A nice winding route from the main gate would be: White Dot -> Cascade Link -> Pumpelly -> (Summit) -> White Dot -> Smith Connector -> (Bald Rock) -> Cliff Walk -> Lost Farm -> Parker Trail.
By taking the White Dot off the summit over to Bald Rock, there's an option for some to head straight down if they are fatigued or the weather gets crummy.

Just throwing ideas out there. I've yet to do the pumpelly, so that would be fine with me too.

Smitty

Yeah, that looks like a nice route. Last year we went around this date, and there was snow/ice pretty far up. It was terribly cold on the summit. I dont think my son will be game for that. If the temps are in the 50-60s at the base I will bring him.

-chris

I'd be up for friday as i don't think i'll be up north.

I have some nice loops starting from the Toll Rd side. They total out around 9-11 miles or so.

Old halfwayhouse trail to cart Rd/ mossy brook, great pasture pasture to monta rosa, smith summit to summit. Decend Pumpelly to Cascade across cascade, up Spelman (gotta do spelman), back across pumpelly. Decend Red Spot to Smith Connecting to bald rock. Then a bunch of options of little side trails and out the cliff walk to parker. It's a great loop!

I'm open to most anything but do enjoy the lesser used trails especially on the busy weekends.