Monodnock date change - 11/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
My apologies to all. I never realized that the October date was Columbus Day Weekend. An already crowed parking lot and trails will be jammed with hikers.
I'd like to propose a date that should find things less crowded.
Can we reschedule to Saturday, 11/13?
The leaf peepers and summer hikers should be gone and we'll find the main parking lot a lot less busy.

I hope this is acceptable to all.

Hi guys,

Looks like we're off to a good start for November.

A few of us are driving in from Albany just for the day and post-hike refreshments.
If anyone who knows the area and wants to volunteer to arrange and coordinate a camping area close by, that would be terrific.

Thanks for the date change! :D I'll be there. A quick web search shows only 2 camping areas open in November. The state park and

Hunter's State-Line Campground(I know nothing about this place)
850 NH Route 12 South
Fitzwilliam, NH 03447
Ph: 603-585-7726

Info on the State campground..............
The quiet camping area at the base of Mount Monadnock has 28 campsites. Ten of the sites are by reservation only; 7 are for youth group reservations; and 11 are for first-come/first-served campers. Reserved camping with full staffing and facilities will be available from May 28 to October 11, 2004. Reservations for campsites may be made by calling the Reservation Office, Monday through Friday, from January through the end of the reservation period. Campers interested in possible first-come/first-served camping prior to the opening of the reservation period should call the park directly in late May for further information.

The campground is open year-round, however, services are limited after October 11. Pit toilets are open during the winter, but water and firewood are not always available, and the campground road is not plowed.

state campground map (map takes a while to load)

Hope this helps. I can also check with Harlow's and see if the will be able to accomodate a large group if that's were everyone wants to go.(I can walk home from there!)

Last edited:
Good move on the date change, Oct 9th would have been a bad day, way tooooo many people. I have a suggestion for a long hike. I just did the Cart Path, Mossy Brook, Marian trial to the Marlboro trail last weekend it is a great trail with very little usage. If you combine that with the Pumpelly, Cascade Link and Parker trail you can get around a 7 mile loop with no crowds except for the summit. Just a suggestion.

It's been our experience that there is no shortage of campsites at Monadnock in November. Depending on weather the road into the sites could be closed,but that's unlikely except for early snow.
There's decent outhouses,and a small camp store,but firewood may not happen. I will be bringing firewood,but more would be appreciated.
OK,let's have a show of hands for camping at Monadnock?

I would not recommend Hunter's Stateline Campground in Fitzwilliam. It appears to be more of a "seasonal rv" campground and when I drive by kinda "dumpy"

The Uniquie Yankeee in Fitzwilliam is nice (from what I hear) also the Inn at East Hill Farm in Troy, NH.

Keene has some good choices for a post hike gathering also Peterbourgh has some good spots.

I could host a BYOR (bring your own rake) party if hiking is not enough excercise:D

The date sounds good for me.

Holy Cow!
What a response. Lets let have people chime in over the next few weeks. Then, maybe I can post a separate thread about 2 weeks before asking for actual signups and folks who are planning to attend can post their names.
Just a few thoughts:

1.Can someone familiar with the area be responsible for campground reservations?

2.Also, same thing about a restaurant or pub(a brew pub would be great). Once we have an idea of numbers, we can reserve a table(s) someplace nearby. My only suggestion is that it be not too far from the main trailhead. Given that there may be a number of us coming from 2 1/2 hours west or northwest, it would be nice to have the refreshments in the opposite direction of our drive home.

3. As to hikes. Maybe we wait and see how many we end up with. We could break our group into 2 or 3 or 4 parties. It would be nice to summit at around the same time, but maybe more important to get back to the cars around the same time so no one is waiting in the cold and we can socialize in the restaurant.
Those coming from a long way away might prefer a moderate hike and others who are staying nearby, something longer.

I'd like to come and join, but still have to confirm.

May make it a long day (VERY LONG) depending on what time the hiking will start, or camp at the state ground. If I get there in the middle of the night, will sleeping in my car at the trailhead be a problem based on what you'all have seen before?

Thanks

i haven't been on here in awhile. but just thought you folks might like to hear my opinion. leaves are allready changing here. snow is very likly around that time.