More Western Whites bears

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good, but FOCUS ! ;) You could be working for National Geographic soon !

In your observations, do you think this is a 3rd group ?
It may be the same "Pa", but that's too many bears for any regional area.

Can't focus. These are still being taken with a p&s 2x telephoto with no antivibe in low light. I haven't taken out the mortgage yet for the good camera. Send me a nice Canon with a big lens and anti-vibration and I'm all set. :) I don't know WHO these bears are. I'll sort it out in time. I just keep out of sight and keep watching.

Keep these Bear pics coming! My son thinks they are all Brother Bear. :)

Still cool. Most people will never see that many bear in their life.
My Bear Canister is due to arrive any day.

"Speak loudly and carry a large Bear Canister !"

Wowsers!

I'm awed at how many bear sightings you've had, and quite jealous as well.

Waumbek, Thanks for sharing your bear pictures. I really enjoy them!

Thanks, yet again.

Here's what you could with one of those antivibe lenses(Canon IS 70-300mm).
This shot is handheld, at about 250mm.

forestnome said:
Thanks, yet again.

FF, that's a fabulous foto! Thanks. That's what I want to be able to get. Unfortunately I'm involved in a huge time-sucking project that doesn't end until June 1 and have no time to do R&S (research and shopping) until then. Where was this photo taken?

Thanks. It was in Jackson, last October.

As for the lens, they all work. It doesn't have to be a Canon, although I do like it. If you can get one that fits your camera, go for it. If you're buying a camera, DON'T BUY A KIT! You won't like the cheap lens! Instead, buy the body only. Then choose a lens seperately. I also love Sigma lenses.

You'll be able to sell photos and recover your investment with one sweet shot!

Good luck!

forestnome said:
Thanks, yet again.

That is an AMAZING shot! I love my Canon G5 but I cant capture an image like yours. That picture was shot on film, not digital, correct?

Great Shot Forestnome. That IS lense works really well. How slow of a shutter speed can you hand hold your lens at 300 mm.
Now if only I had 5 grand or more to burn I would love to get one Canons very long telephotos. I find it hard to photograph most brids with a 75 - 300 . I have tried waiting patiently for them and I do get a photo but the brid does not really fill the frame . I just took some photos of a huge owl of some sort sitting not far from me in a White Ppine yet the owl looks small still it was definatly less than 100 ft from me . When I saw the owl it looked real big in the photo it is hard to tell just how big it is.
FN do you sell your photos ?

If You Need To Save Money

Waumbek said:
Can't focus. These are still being taken with a p&s 2x telephoto with no antivibe in low light. I haven't taken out the mortgage yet for the good camera. Send me a nice Canon with a big lens and anti-vibration and I'm all set. :) I don't know WHO these bears are. I'll sort it out in time. I just keep out of sight and keep watching.

Many a Wildlife Photographer have gotten sharp images in low light before anti-vibration lenses were even invented. The use of a tripod and a shutter release will make up for the lack of a usually expensive antivibe lens while you save for future purchases. Chances are Waumbek you already have these tools and if not you will need them eventually. Probably cheaper to buy at this point than the fancy lens. Yes on a Tripod/Shutter release set up you give up a certain amount of point and shoot convience because of the setups fixed position to a degree, but again these are tools that a photograher can use in other situations.
I would also try using a higher ASA setting if you are shooting Digital or Film.
If you are using Film, today's technology has greatly improved the imulsions on higher speed films to create much less grain than from past years.

Papa Bear

I saw what must be Papa Bear to one (or both?) of the local sets of triplets early this morning on my field. He is a v-e-r-y large bruin. He was slowing lumbering out of range, grabbing hunks of grass as he moved. There was no time to get a picture as I'd left the camera in the car last night. That makes 13 bear sitings (and about as many moose) in under a week, with possibly three duplications. That's up 25% from what I usually see at this time of year but this is hardly a meaningful statistic. The bears are out in view now not because the locals are leaving garbage out--nobody's stupid enough around here to do that anymore--but because the fields have more foraging potential for the bears than the woods. By mid to late May, they'll move into the woods more and more to feed.

Waumbeck, Do you take some of your bear and other wildlife photos from you car truck if you do there is a inexpensive thingy you can buy at a camera shop that attaches to your car . Sort of like a clamp with a tripod head on it. also as mentioned before a inexpensive tripod will do th trick you can porbably pick one up for $ 40 or so.

RGF1 said:
there is a inexpensive thingy you can buy at a camera shop that attaches to your car .
Just resting the camera body (or your camera hand or arm) against a solid object (or a solid part of your car) can be a signifcant help. Useful if you don't have a formal clamp/tripod or time to deploy a formal clamp/tripod.

Doug

Dentonfabrics, thanks! It's a Canon Digital Rebel.

--M, thanks!

RGF1, thanks! I don't remember the shutter speed. I'd guess around 125 because I had the ISO set 100. Yes, I sell photos. When I finish rebuilding my website I'll put it in my tag line so you can browse; at the moment it is too embarressing to show anyone. As for price, the IS technology added only $125.00 to the 70-300mm lens.

Skiguy, very good points! Even though I have the IS lens, I always hike with a tripod. It's an absolute must for many of the images that I stalk. If you won't justify the weight of a tripod, then DougPaul's suggestion is the next best thing. I would add that if use the resting method, you should still use a release or the timer/delay shutter thingy. Also, this will work much better if you put a folded shirt or hat, etc., under the camera. You can buy little beanbags designed for this method. But neither this method, nor the tripod, can compare to the readiness that the IS telephoto provides. When a bear presents itself, it's usually brief, and they walk around, making the tripod cumbersome. It's not about convenience, it's about success.

I'll always use the tripod, unless I have to shoot immediately, for forest scenes, sunsets, northern lights., etc. Try shooting this without a tripod......