most broken uncooperative winter stuff

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider solo

Reaction score
I don't think there is an active thread along these lines right now...

At first I was just going to say ...
....the most broken item for me are hiking poles
(perhaps I'm just rough on them) but as I started thinking over the past few winter seasons I got to wondering what others have found to be the most broken or constantly "having to fuss with it gear" that seems to happen at the most inopportune time.
...for me the list would probably start with...the zippers on my sleeping bag that constanly jamb...followed by most any arm pit zipper that leaves you pawing at yourself as you walk down the trail with your arm waving around...extended over your head as you tug and try to unsnag it with, of course, perfect grace and finesse while dumping snow down your neck with that waving arm...
...any user friendly improvements you'd like to see a bit more mitten friendly or problematic gear that always seems to fog up, jamb, break, tear etc?

Last edited:
spider solo said:
...followed by most any arm pit zipper that leaves you pawing at yourself as you walk down the trail with your arm waving around...extended over your head as you tug and try to unsnag it with, of course, perfect grace and finesse while dumping snow down your neck with that waving arm...
:D HA, that made me laugh !

-Some of the recent threads on winter gear have been broken and uncooperative. ;)
-My shell pants get pushed down by my pack belt and I have to keep hiking them up, not quite as dramatic as your pit zipper arm waving, but irritating. I need to try suspenders or bibs.
-I bought a Brunton Glorb last year, which is a little butane fueled backpacking lantern. As soon as you take it backpacking, however, the mesh mantle deteriorates, rendering it dead weight.

spider solo said:
...for me the list would probably start with...the zippers on my sleeping bag that constanly jam...

Glad to hear I'm not alone on that one! :D

I'd add the hassle of keeping the waterhose on my camelback from freezing. I've filled it with hot water before a hike and tucked the tube inside my jacket with pretty good success, but it's still a pain in the arse.

mantles

As soon as you take it backpacking, however, the mesh mantle deteriorates, rendering it dead weight.

hee hee hee

and DAMN are those mantles heavy to carry after!!

BAHAHAHAHAHA.

you gotta like that one.

I agree with poles, ive slipped and snapped a few of those. Also zippers on coats, i wonder if they could make it any harder to get them started.

I would have to say bootlaces and snowshoes as being the things I seem to break the most. I have to relace my Sherpa's every year, and every year it's harder to find the materials. If I didn't like the bindings so much, I would buy one of the new solid deck shoes. The Hypalon gaiter straps seem to wear out quickly for me on my OR's and my internal gaiters on my Arcterx Bibs too. Funny, all these things are made of the same type of material?
My repair kit definitely grows in the winter.

Last edited:
Of course, your laces on your boots will fail because they will freeze to the little guideholes such that you can't take your boots off when you get to camp...

Or then theres the pair of wool gloves you have carried around for all fall, then realizing it has a 1 inch hole on the forefinger once you put it on.

Jay

Replace the hiking poles with single shaft ski poles. Bonus points for free pairs at garage sales.

For the sleeping bag zipper, get a length of 1/2" nylon webbing and hand stitch it to the bag right next to the zipper to form a stiffened backing for the zipper. This helps prevent the fabric from jamming.

My beefs?

I want a windproof face mask and google combo that will allow me to exhale through my mouth when breathing hard and facing into the wind that won't fog and freeze my goggles. Suggestions welcome.

hikerfast said:
and DAMN are those mantles heavy to carry...
:eek: I know, but I bought the thing as a convenience item. You know - get to camp late, turn it on...I'm not looking to perform mantle surgery at that point in the day, especially in the winter.

dave.m said:
...I want a windproof face mask and google combo that will allow me to exhale through my mouth when breathing hard and facing into the wind that won't fog and freeze my goggles. Suggestions welcome.
I have a neoprene face mask that I cut a hole in for my mouth (instead of those stupid little holes it came with). Not sure if I can suggest how to avoid "blowback" when facing into the wind - how 'bout a snorkel? ;)

Kevin Rooney said:
Piece of cake. Get a Turtle Fur neck gaiter or similar (made of a tube of 2 Polarfleece fabrics) along with a hat made of Windproof fleece - Kevin
Kevin, something like this??

-Dr. Wu

i agree with you about the mantles, i love my lantern on backpacks, but tying that string around the metal with cold fingers is not fun at all.

NYBRAD said:
The Hypalon gaiter straps seem to wear out quickly for me on my OR's and my internal gaiters on my Arcterx Bibs too. Funny, all these things are made of the same type of material?
I used to wear my gaiter straps quickly. Now I just buy some tubular webbing, cut it and slide it over my straps - definitively prolongs their life.

My hiking poles seem to be the most vulnerable. I bent the first pair pretty badly and the locking mechanism on the second pair got all gummed up until the little expansion plugs pulled out of the lower sections. I just replaced them with some lever-lock style ones that should do a little better if I can remember to dry them out afterwards.

I also seem to break the little elastic hood drawstring on my shell frequently. When I pull it tight the end likes to pop loose and snap me in the face. Ouch! :mad:

Replace your hiking poles with mult-section like Black Diamond Expedition. Each piece is only like 20 inches, and by carrying a spare length you will always have a quick fix.

My item I seem to alwasy have to be fussing with is my stove. Forever cleaning and tweaking it.

1. Pants always falling down like Chip's. Sometimes I stop every 50 yards to hike the dang things up, if I have a pack on.
2. Things that hold the Tubbs snowshoe decking to the frame breaking when I encounter multiple rocks. Less of a problem now that I own/use crampons. Plastic zipties are second only to duct tape in my winter repair kit. Come to think of it, I should try them on my pants. If I string about 50 of them together, they might work as suspenders. In fact, I wonder if you could make an xc ski binding out of them. You never know.

Weatherman

dug said:
My item I seem to alwasy have to be fussing with is my stove. Forever cleaning and tweaking it.

Yes, stoves! I was wondering when someone would mention them! A royal pain in the winter (in recent years I've had Apex II by Coleman and MSR Whisperlite).

Hoods: has anyone used these? I haven't, but I've gone on may winter outings with a friend who has, and he swears by them. Good for camp/sleeping, not hiking. Thoughts?

Dick

rhihn said:
Hoods: has anyone used these? ... Thoughts?
Dick

Thoughts ? Yes. Me thinks YOU, Sir, look ALOT like Brother FINBAR !!! :eek:

Finbar.gif

Seriously, anyone having trouble with their stove should trade it in. That could be dangerous.

zippers on the sleeping bags!!! man this sucks esp when cold after taking a 3am piss - - sounds like its common

- gaiter straps that flop about

- and yes - the pants falling down under the pack - when cold and liteally freezing your ass off -

whatever happened to the one piece long sythetic underware????

My pet peeve is the G3 ski leashes I use at resorts to prevent runaway skis, in the event that my nonreleasable telemark bindings release :confused: I've had a few pairs, and none seem to be ideal. The G3 red plastic ones tend to break in cold weather, the classic metal clip design often don't close all the way after repeated use and come disconnected at the ski, and finally, the G3 mitten friendly metal circle clip is not as mitten friendly as I had hoped, plus the metal circle tends to freeze shut in really cold weather and the only way to defrost it is to warm it up with your hand!

Hat and mask trick for skiing: I use one of those neoprene face masks with the cut out nose, mouth holes and fleece collar at the bottom. Wrap around face taught. Put on helmet liner ( cheap .99 cent nylon skull hat available at hardware store), put on helmet with attached goggles. Bring goggles down far enough to overlap edge of face mask. Enjoy. I've used this for the last 3 years without any fogging issues.

Nadine

Chip said:
Thoughts ? Yes. Me thinks YOU, Sir, look ALOT like Brother FINBAR !!! :eek:
Finbar.gif
Seriously, anyone having trouble with their stove should trade it in. That could be dangerous.

Hood: I just looked again at the picture and at myself in the mirror. No resemblance.

Stove: Of course it's dangerous! Your recommendation?