most common injuries/ailments backpacking ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wilderness first aid
No DOT nationally recognized certification. There may be an AHA or Red cross certificate​
8 hours of class​
First responder
DOT Minimum National standards with local testing and national certification​
40 hours of class​
Wilderness upgrade for FR
Not nationally or many states recognized​
20 more hours of class​
Must have a valid, current, state or national First Responder certification for this to be valid, along with a current CPR certification​
EMT-B
DOT Minimum National standards with national testing and certification in 45 states​
120 hours of class plus 16 hours clinical observation either by doctor in an ER or paramedic in the field​
Full recertification required every 2 years for the first 6 years then every 3 years after that as well as proof of continuing education or taking an EMT refresher class which I believe is 40 hours.​
Wilderness upgrade for EMT
Not nationally or many states recognized​
another 40 hours of training​
Must have a valid, current, state or national EMT certification for this to be valid, along with a current CPR certification​
And just for comparison
EMT-P (Paramedic)
DOT Minimum National standards with national testing and certification in 45 states​
1200 hours of class plus many hours of clinical observation in the hospital and in the field​
By local testing I mean that the teaching agency can also be the certifying agency. By National testing I mean that the teaching agency is not the certifying agency. It is usually testers who have no compunction about failing you and it is no skin of off their noses. These are the national standard and CT standards. The wilderness certifications are based on SOLO. Some other areas and other schools may vary slightly for both the wilderness certification and EMT standards. YMMV :D

Oh, and I fully agree that ankle injuries are without out a doubt the most common serious traumatic injuries and dehydration is probably the most common medical problem

Last edited:
Chip said:
I did the WFR course offered through the ADK by Wilderness Medical Assoc.,
it was a 2 1/2 day course 3 years ago. Perhaps they've changed the course description/requirements since then ?
Definately not a 9 day thing.

Okay, my mistake. I just contacted Wilderness Medical Assoc's and it was the 2 day WFA, not 72 hour WFR course I took. Sorry.
I'm due for recert in the spring.

So how about that list ? WARNING: I'm no Medical Professional, which is why I asked the question. Here's a start:
Self Help:
- blisters, aches, scratches, minor burns
- strains, sprains, twists, chafing
- bug bites; no allergic reaction
- cuts, 2nd degree burns
- GI distress
- eye irritation/scratches
- early onset Hypothermia, dehydration

Requires Help, possible evac:
- severe sprain
- deep cuts, severe burns
- possible broken bone
- extreme GI distress, possible internal problems
- eye injury
- Bites; allergic reaction or poisoning
- more severe Hypothermia, dehydration
- head and neck injury
What else ?

Edited per Tramper Als suggestion below.

Last edited:
As for your "Self Help" list, know that that either dehydation or hypothermia frequently may go unrecognized by the affected individual. While self help may indeed be sufficient, it must be preceded by self recognition.

Eye injuries while hiking came up high on a list I found.
The eye is the organ that heals the fastest, but what do you do in the field,
other than keep sun/safety/regular glasses on while hiking ?