Mount Monadnock Conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
Greetings -

Anyone know what the trail conditions are like on Monadnock? Thinking about going up one of the main routes (White Cross) on Sunday morning and I am nost sure if I should expect snow or ice. Last report on VFTT is about two weeks old...not sure if the region got the same snow the Boston area got last week.

I was up there on sunday and the conditions were good. The trail was mostly bare bootable, we put our crampons on at the last little treed in area near the summit, probably could have made it without but I would rather use gear than carry it. It was quite windy with alot of blowing snow. With the last storm we had you could probably use snowshoes w/o to many problems. My first time on monadnock in winter, the only disapointment was the six bucks at the trailhead :rolleyes:oh well I guess its the price you pay for hiking the second most climbed mountain in the world! :D :D :D

If you're looking for snowshoing stay away from white dot/cross. Go into the old toll road and take something off of white arrow, maybe Fairy Spring to Monte Rosa, or thoureau/Pt Surprise etc. This was my first winter in that area and absolutely love it. Check it out.

I agree...

focusonbalance said:
If you're looking for snowshoing stay away from white dot/cross. Go into the old toll road and take something off of white arrow, maybe Fairy Spring to Monte Rosa, or thoureau/Pt Surprise etc. This was my first winter in that area and absolutely love it. Check it out.

There are parts of the White Cross/Dot (nearer to the top) where I think you'd have a tough time with snowshoes. Better off with crampons (or bareboots) than the snowshoes. Just my .02

Capt. Jim