mount rainier

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangergirl

Reaction score
Five of us will be attempting Mount Rainier this August. Our route is to go up to Camp Muir and take the Disappointment Cleaver to the summit and then back.
Don and I are also planning to attempt Mount Shuksan after Rainier. We plan to go up the Sulfide Glacier or the Fisher Chimneys.
Does anyone have any beta?
Thanks in advance!
:)

Last edited:
we will! :) We just got back from the ruth glacier in Alaska and took way too many pics! It was really fun!
3623249785_fd20289174.jpg

Here is a link to those zillion pics! http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfolcik/sets/72157619608672883/

WHEN (not if) I do Rainier again I will allow for more time on the mountain with more than 1 summit day for a greater chance of a clear view from the top. We did Muir as a day hike initially, which was a great help both with acclimatizing and reducing the "butterflies". A couple days later we hiked to Muir for the first night and then to Ingraham Flats for the second night. Summit and out on the 3rd day. We summited in a blizzard/whiteout. Thankfully we had views from Muir and Ingraham.

It's very nice to relax for the extra day at Camp Muir after a successful summit attempt. SherpaK and I did just that and enjoyed it immensely. What's the rush? :)

p.s. Just checking out your Flickr pics now.... Looked wicked cool so far..

Jay

we have 4 nights reserved at muir. We were going to play it by ear and see how the weather is and how the team is feeling.

Smart. The summit from Muir is obviously a bit further than Ingraham, but not a big deal with an early start, especially if you were familiar with the trail by then.

Very cool pics of AK!

up the Sulfide Glacier to the Fisher Chimneys.
Did you mean "or"?

If you haven't already, take a look at the Summitpost pages for those routes/mountains. Lots of good beta.
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150347/mount-shuksan.html

Also search cascadeclimbers for trip reports.

August is a good month for stable and good weather. For Rainier weather, keep checking here.
For Shuksan and others I also check NOAA's pinpoint.

Let's see...other beta...

Blue bags on Rainier - there is a receptacle at Muir for them. Leave them there before descending to Paradise! Avoid carrying those on your person for too long!

:D

yes, I did mean or! Thanks for the link! :)

Very cool pics of AK!

Did you mean "or"?

If you haven't already, take a look at the Summitpost pages for those routes/mountains. Lots of good beta.
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150347/mount-shuksan.html

Also search cascadeclimbers for trip reports.

August is a good month for stable and good weather. For Rainier weather, keep checking here.
For Shuksan and others I also check NOAA's pinpoint.

Let's see...other beta...

Blue bags on Rainier - there is a receptacle at Muir for them. Leave them there before descending to Paradise! Avoid carrying those on your person for too long!

:D