Mount Stanton and Mount Pickering Trip Report

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksearl

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I headed up to the Bartlett area this past weekend and hit Mount Stanton and Mount Pickering. My main motivation to get up there was to get good views of Iron Mountain (some of you may have seen my history on this mountain that I recently posted). I certainly got good views of Iron Mountain, Kearsarge North, the Doubleheads, The Crippies and more.

My detailed trip report can be viewed on my blog: http://livefreeandhikenh.blogspot.com/2011/11/some-nice-views-on-mount-stanton-and.html Please stop by if you have a moment.

Here are some of my favorite pics from the hike:

Mount Kearsarge, North from White's Ledge
IMG_4290.JPG

Doubleheads, Black Mountain and what I think is one of the Wildcat peaks
IMG_4323.JPG

There were snakes all over the summits of both peaks
IMG_4311.JPG

Property bound signs
IMG_4350.JPG

Iron Mountain from Mount Pickering - Favorite shot of the trek
IMG_4339.JPG

The Crippies and Mount Langdon
IMG_4342.JPG

Back of Stairs Mountain and an unnamed ledge
IMG_4346.JPG

Mount Chocorua on the ride home, not from the hike!
IMG_4354.JPG

really nice report, thanks for posting. I don't think I would have seen the snake in your photo if you hadn't mentioned it. Chocoura Lake looks choppy, must have been a windy day!

Iron Mountain

I liked your recent TR about Black Mountain. I too have been fascinated by iron Mt, but have not gotten around to visiting it. I'm fascinated by too many obscure peaks so I never get around to visiting half of them. Stairs is another peak that fascinates me and I like your unusual view of Stairs a lot too.

Thanks everyone!

bjc - Thanks! The snakes were hard to see in person too. Every time I tried to focus in on them, I would lose them until they moved again. I was amazed at how many of them there were up there.

Jazzbo - Thanks! I too love the less traveled peaks. My guess is I'll never get around to all the ones I want to either. I'll have to check out Stairs Mountain sometime. The only reason I knew this was Stairs Mountain from be behind is because of 1HappyHiker's VFTT post from a while back...VFTT Post

forestgnome - Thanks very much!

Regards,
Karl