Mountain Chicken -- Yummy or Not?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moutain Chicken -- Yummy or Not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
timmus said:
It's all true. Check this out

(I'm starting to think that I might hang out with Pete a little too much...)

Carefull! If birds ever ever wanted to fight back we humans and our cars would not do well. One spruce grouse needs to talk with one seagull and...

Snowshoe Hare is by far da bes ting y'ull find in dem dar White Mt. hills...

I've eaten wild (either me or my kinfolk dun kilt it too):

Deer, duck, goose, dove, quail, rattlesnake, wild turkey, pheasant, grouse, wild boar, bullfrog, squirrel (gray), rabbit & snowshoe hare, alligator, cooter (soft shell turtle), pigeon (Argentine), Ostrich or Enu (Argentine), possum, armadillo, etc., etc.

& about 50 diff species of fish, the best being fresh Chilean Salmon seviche (raw but pickled w/ veggies in lime juice, mmmm)...

i'm sure i missed a few mammals...

wanna know what something tastes like, just ask! :confused: :eek: :D

Last edited:
timmus said:
It's all true. Check this out

(I'm starting to think that I might hang out with Pete a little too much...)
It's the power of the axe. You'll see.... This weekend, when you carry and use a big axe.... You won't want to let go.... The feeling of POWER....like a drug....Resistance is futile.....You WILL be assimulated.

the secret in spring is to use the meat in a stew to help with the taste. i can find my mom's recipe if anyone wants to try. i believe there's something in potatoes that helps absorb the awful taste, although the spices and other veggies certainly help with that. as the bird's diet changes with the season though, the meat tastes far better, kinda amazing actually how it makes such a difference.

the rest of the year we would usually soak the meat in water overnight before marinating it for another few hours; then putting it onto skewers and throw them on the BBQ. The meat tends to dry out easily, but if you keep it moist, mmmmmm........great with corn on the cob.

Gris said:
Deer, duck, goose, dove, quail, rattlesnake, wild turkey, pheasant, grouse, wild boar, bullfrog, squirrel (gray), rabbit & snowshoe hare, alligator, cooter (soft shell turtle), pigeon (Argentine), Ostrich or Enu (Argentine), possum, armadillo, etc., etc.

& about 50 diff species of fish, the best being fresh Chilean Salmon seviche (raw but pickled w/ veggies in lime juice, mmmm)...

That's pretty impressive, Gris. Surprised black bear isn't on the list. It isn't bad if you put it into a spicy stew. Any other way it is greasy and gamy.

Moose and buffalo burgers rock, by the way.

NewHampshire said:
Grey Squirrel is good (tastes like pork) .....Red squirrel ....ummm trust me, dont bother ;) :D

Brian

Absolutely. Grey squirrel is excellant. My uncle used to cook the ones I used to hunt and he would make the best italian olive salad you have ever had.

Keith

I always thought that mountain chicken was actually just black flies ??

I eat lots and lots of them in the spring. They don't have much taste, and they do tend to stick to the back of your throat, but they're not bad.