Mountaineering Moose?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artex

Reaction score
The Mt. Washington Observatory posted the following on their blog today:

"A strange sighting: Moose scat at about 6000ft on the Tuckerman Ravine Trail."

Dude, that's one hardcore moose! Either that or the dubious work of a mischievous prankster. :D

Wow! Defies logic, which is always interesting.

I saw moose tracks on the summit of Mt. Pierce last summer.

At the Grand Summit Hotel, at Attitash (where I used to tend bar) there are great photos of a bull moose up above Lakes of the Clouds. Amazing!

Last edited:
i saw a moose on the tableland back in "97" :eek:
i whack with the human moose, he's been known to hike washington!! :eek: :eek:

Ok, here's my theory. . .

The moose ate some bad mushrooms down below, got a little confused and wandered up the mountain. When he came out of his shroom induced condition and realized where he was, he pooped himself.

On a serious note, when i hiked half dome, there was a mule deer right below the last push up to the top. The terrain up to that point wasn't too bad, but one false step and he's fallin down to the valley floor.

I saw a picture of a moose on top of Moosilauke. I believe it was one of Dave Metsky's pics. " a moose on the Moose"

Yea I've seen scat not far above Moosilauke's south peak on the Carraige Road. Gotta love moose... :D

This thread reminded me of my Alpine Flora class/trip, though it actually has nothing to do with moose. We hiked and studied plots on Madison in July of 97' and discovered, not very far from the summit, one very dead beaver! So the question we all had, of course, was what in god's name was a beaver doing at that elevation. If my memory serves me, my grad school professor's explanation had something to do with a parasitic infection that they sometimes get that disorients them --- Yeah I guess he was disoriented, all right!!! :eek: I didn't do any further research at the time, but it was a pretty unusual thing to see and hard to forget. I don't know much about moose per se, but they are known to roam pretty widely at times ... There are many theories as to why, but I do know that it is believed that they will range a bit at times even for preferred food items (rather than necessary ones) and for mineral salts as well. Or, in these cases, maybe they just want to get the views from the top. :D

A squirrel once lived (and was fed) by climbers on Denali at 12,500 feet (10,000 feet above the nearest tree). Elephants have also been known to climb up to 14000 feet on Kilimanjaro to die. Though rare, animals do venture to places we wouldn't expect to see them, and I certainly prefer to see a moose up high rather in my headlights... :eek:

The moose are probably still in rut and confused, thats my thought. I don't really know much about the rutting behavior, but it has been a strange fall weatherwise and I wonder if the wide range in temperatures and crazy precip patterns have affected them in any way? Or do they care???

grouseking

Frodo said:
Elephants have also been known to climb up to 14000 feet on Kilimanjaro to die. Though rare, animals do venture to places we wouldn't expect to see them, and I certainly prefer to see a moose up high rather in my headlights...
There was also a leopard carcass found near the summit of Killimanjaro.

Doug

Last edited:
Some years back, a set of brown/grizzly tracks were found near Denali at about 12-14,000' elevation, heading up and over a high ridge. As far as anybody could determine, the bear just "went over the mountain to see what he could see." (My personal theory is that s/he was en route to the bottom of the Orient Express to check out the spring collection ....)

Last edited:
grouseking said:
The moose are probably still in rut and confused, thats my thought. I don't really know much about the rutting behavior, but it has been a strange fall weatherwise and I wonder if the wide range in temperatures and crazy precip patterns have affected them in any way? Or do they care???
They also could be sick. Moose can catch a parasite from deer, called "brain worm" that drive them mad, is suspected in cases where moose end up in places where they wouldn't normally go.

link

-dave-

Mountaineering Moose

The cover of the November 1983 Appalachia Bulletin, the previous name of AMC Outdoors,had a photo of a moose walking up the Crawford Path. It's probably the photo that forestnome mentions. Here's a so-so photo of it from my copy.
Ledge

I found a perfect* moose antler in the summer of '00 near the summit of Sable (elev 3519', which is a trail-less peak over by the Baldface Range in the northeastern Whites).

*the rodents hadn't gotten to it yet

dolladoj said:
I found a perfect* moose antler in the summer of '00 near the summit of Sable (elev 3519', which is a trail-less peak over by the Baldface Range in the northeastern Whites).

*the rodents hadn't gotten to it yet

Ths summits of the Crockers (> 4K) are *COVERED* with moose droppings. :eek:

Ledgehiker said:
The cover of the November 1983 Appalachia Bulletin, the previous name of AMC Outdoors,had a photo of a moose walking up the Crawford Path. It's probably the photo that forestnome mentions. Here's a so-so photo of it from my copy.
Ledge
hey! that's the same photo that's in one of the Mt Washington books at my town's library, it was taken by someone from the Mt Washington Observatory. Didn't realize it was in color.

Ledgehiker said:
Ledge

Yup, that's the one! That is so amazing; what I would do to be there to photograph that. Same goes for Dave Metsky's picture, really special. Thanks for sharing.