Moving to Juneau...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawayyan

Reaction score
and have no idea what to get / take. I have done plenty of backpacking in the Sierras outside Fresno, but what stuff / equipment do I need for Southeast Alaska? Equipment should be way less expensive to get here, so I plan on buying what I need here. Already have my backpack, sleeping bag, tent etc., but mostly wondering about footware (plastic boots vice leather, do I need crampons) and outerwear. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bring a kayak! SE Alaska must be a pretty cool place to 'yak. Glacier bay, the bays south of Wrangell St.Elias..

Whitewater in the copper river in Wrangell, etc..

I took the AMHS ferry from Skagway to Juneau once when the mountains were fogged in such that the flights there were not flying. Unfortunately, it was at night so I couldn't see much but at dusk, it looked like there were a lot of cool things and wildlife to check out. Just stay away from the big cruise ships.

I would think a nice plastic boot would do well there for winter.

I did the Chilkoot trail a few years ago in the summer and didn't think I needed a special boot for it, just used my trusty backpacking boots. Crampons are useful here, don't see why it would not be useful in Alaska. You're right in that it would probably be cheaper here than there. I've been to the REI in Anchorage and the prices seemed comparable but that is quite far from Juneau.

Jay