Mt Hood Check List

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Rickie

Reaction score
Before starting, the group checked nearly all of the 40 boxes on their registration form indicating what equipment they carried.

I didn't want to take away from the other post on the lost hikers so I'm asking here. Has anyone seen this list and can post it. That seems like quite a check list and there may be a few good ideas on it I don't know about.

This is for informational purposes only. I don't want this to degrade into "were they prepared" and speculation string. :)

We were on Mt. Hood last July and elected to go with a guide. We saw people on the summit who seemed unprepared equipment-wise, and then, while we were heading down, we saw a group stalled just at the Pearly Gates, with a member of their team unable to progress further. (Why, we couldn't see.) It's just like here in the East where you see people not carrying the gear they need for whatever reason. (I'm still annoyed at the two men I saw near the summit of Pierce on Saturday who had admittedly left their snowshoes in the car. Of course, they were able to quite nicely post-hole through the trail we had broken out JUST FOR THEM.)

I climbed Mt Hood a couple of years ago with two friends but did not photograph the registraton form. I know we checked off a LOT of the items.
We had glacier travel gear, helmets, ice axes, ice screws, 2 stoves, cold weather clothes, etc.

We were foolish enough to do in late August when it is just a giant cinder cone with consolidated ice and gravel leading up to the summit. We roped up and placed running protection at the steeper parts. The main objective danger was the falling rock due to the time of year.

FWIW, here is my checklist for winter hiking and XC skiing. (It does not include any technical climbing gear.) It was originally written for use in an outing club winter school and has been updated a few times since.

The usual ("I'm not responsible for how you use the list") disclaimers apply.

http://mysite.verizon.net/dbpwebjunk/misc/winter-gear-list.txt

Comment on the Mt. Hood list:
While I have not seen the Mt Hood list, it is likely to be an all-inclusive (ie combination of gear that anyone might carry on any kind of trip) list for people to check off what they have so that SAR can better assess the victims' situation and survival capabilities. The "other" kind of list is a list of suggested or required gear. (The above is a list of suggested gear.)

Doug

Last edited:
When we climbed Hood, usual winter gear and it also included crampons, helmet, ice axe and pickets.
We also carried slippery, cheapo rain pants to put on for the long glissades on the way back to the trailhead.

Who has climbed Hood? Are there any related sites I can check out. I tried to google the list but couldn't find anything. Any ideas out there on where to look?

Brian and I climbed last July. We climbed with Joe Owen, from Timberline Mountain Guides, and recommend him and them. Joe was companionable and helpful. Check out their website, even it you think you can do it without a guide! www.timberlinemtguides.com/

Last edited:
I'm surprised not to see a GPS on that list but glad to see a map and compass. :)
It's an old list--note the original date.

It was originally intended for winter school students (ie beginners)--I now use it primarily to make sure I didn't forget anything important.

EDIT: GPS added (just for you... :) )

Doug

Last edited:
From the US National Forest website they have a list if you scroll down the page a little.

Also there is a link to Portland Mountain Rescue and they recommend a short list too.

The lists are not extremely detailed and exhaustive, but I figure this is close to what might be posted at the trailhead since its from the two agencies that are operating the land/rescue.

Aviarome

Thanks for the list, Aviarome. One immediate item that I noticed was the whistle and the reason for using the kind without the "pea." I had always thought that using a "pealess whistle" was an old fashioned reason, i.e. 'cause peas would swell when wet and then the whistle wouldn't work. And that didn't make sense to me because the peas have been plastic, or another non-swelling substance, for quite a while. But I had never given thought to a whistle not working because it had frozen up.

Last edited:
So what do you think all that stuff weighs along with food and water?
Too much!!
The gear you take should match the party's comfort level, the conditions, and the route chosen. Keep in mind that this list is very conservative and assumes a lot - basically a party with low comfort level, taking gear for every condition possible (even if not probable), and/or climbing an extremely technical route that requires that much gear - not usually an issue on Hood.
The USNF list is much better since it doesn't make a lot of assumptions.

Comment on the Mt. Hood list:
While I have not seen the Mt Hood list, it is likely to be an all-inclusive (ie combination of gear that anyone might carry on any kind of trip) list for people to check off what they have so that SAR can better assess the victims' situation and survival capabilities. The "other" kind of list is a list of suggested or required gear. (The above is a list of suggested gear.)

Doug
Yeah, I believe this is the type of list. Rainier also has the same, asking useful SAR questions like:
-How many tents?
-What color is your tent?

...not questions like:
-How many gloves are you taking?
-What do you have on for layers?
-What color is your underwear?

Last edited:

Latest posts