My Suunto Vector read -24,000 ft

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suunto Vector

Without a doubt, I really enjoy it. I use the logbook to track my elevation gain for each hike I do. Down here in the Hudson highlands our 2500 ft of elevation gain comes as 3 to 8 climbs up little "mountains" or hills so the automatic calculator is so much easier than counting lines. That's something that a mechanical altimeter can not do.

Another feature that is interesting is the temperature sensor. Not for outdoor temperature as it is biased by your body heat. It is actually pretty good as a hypothermia monitor. I prefer to hike cool to avoid sweating. So alot of times, I'm balancing on the edge of cool/cold. If you put the watch over a single layer of polypro, you will get a "normal" temp range when you are exercizing in winter. When the temp drops to the low end of the range, then you know to take measures against hypothermia. For instance, I know that if my watch temp goes below 45F, I'm at risk of going hypothermic. So I do not need to guess or doubt my feeling, sensation, or perception as we all know that these can often be incorrect (you can't "feel" hypothermia) Now all I need is a custom Vector that shows altitude AND the temp on the same screen (with the temp in the rate of climb window) and it would be perfect for my winter outings. When I win the lottery and learn to speak Finnish, I'l have to contract a Suunto programmer to get a watch modification.

I was very happy with the life of the first watch. I think the problem was the replacement one, the one that failed, might have been "reconditioned."

John H Swanson said:
...Now all I need is a custom Vector that shows altitude AND the temp on the same screen (with the temp in the rate of climb window) and it would be perfect for my winter outings....

FWIW, the Timex Helix does this.

Update and Warning

Here is the info from Suunto.

My watch was ruined by water getting into the inside. Considering I've been rather wimpy about hiking in the rain .... and I've had the good forture of being able to stay on my feet for those water crossings ... I was confused about the cause of such a problem.

It seems that the seal around the bezel (face of the watch) is sensitive to "chemicals" including alcohol. They said that this was the cause. I was told there is a warning in the owners manual.

I normally do not make a habit of spilling drinks on my watch, so I was even more confused about the source. A quick review of my habits brought to light my practices of applying spray insect repellent and sunscreen without removing my watch. Just prior to failure I had a 2 week trip out west with liberal applications of suncreen followed by dripping sweat.

So watch you watch's exposure to "chemicals"

Suunto offered a reconditioned replacement for $85. The replacement has a 90 day warranty. The new watches have a 2 year warranty.

I did buy the replacement as I'm happy with it's performance when I'm not destroying it with chemicals.

JHS

My temperature compensated Peet 88 is great. Its "old tech" analog, but usually within feet of the consensus elevation of eveyone's wrist and GPS elevation. PLUS, no batteries to fail and you can watch the fronts approach or depart by the change in elevation rate.
My next GPS will still have an altimeter function, but that Peet 88(and yes the model is still made) still keeps "ticking".